Serge Gainsbourg

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, May 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

It was also the favorite of Serge himself, along with 'Depression au-dessus du jardin', that he wrote for Catherine Deneuve.

Mike66 likes this.
  2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, his earliest material has entered the public domain, and as a consequence these early tracks have come out on numerous dubious labels in recent years.

3. Mike66

Mike66 Active Member

Thanks. I seem to remember reading or hearing that about Manon, now that you remind me!

4. Mike66

Mike66 Active Member

Yes, I've seen the first few albums on some very cheap CD sets recently.

5. 1959

1959 Forum Resident

Melodie Nelson is, of course, the one you have to get. The sound of the instruments....oh my god! Melty.
    The nazi rock one is pretty hilarious too. And musically brilliant........like all of them, really.
    The live reggae one with Sly and Robbie is stunning, as mentioned above somewhere, but the studio one ("Mauvaises Nouvelles...") is also fabulous! A Sly and Robbie hidden gem.
    For a career-spanning triple CD, there is the "de gainsbourg à gainsbarre" collection, which is superb.
    Also, don't forget the Jane Birkin albums, which are basically Serge Gainsbourg albums with Jane singing.

6. Mike66

Mike66 Active Member

"De Gainsbourg à Gainsbarre" is a double CD, and very good it is, too...

7. 1959

1959 Forum Resident

Oops. My mistake!

8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

There is s collection called 'De Serge Gainsbourg a Gainsbarre' (also, with his first name included in the title). That exists as a double and a triple cd set. I'm still fond of the 'De Gainsbourg a Gainsbarre' 9 cd box set. Having been released in '89, it's the only cd box the man himself has seen the release of. I remember an interview where he said various ex-lovers passed through his mind as he listened to the whole thing.

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Have you read "A Fistful Of Gitanes" by Sylvie Simmons? Excellent biography.

Mylene likes this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

There's a number of 12" singles available at the moment, taken from the «Aux Armes » LP -being passed off by just about every online retailer as "albums". Beware.

Conversely, I picked up a copy of «Du chant à la une » on the dubious Dol label for a pittance, but have no real issues with the sound, even if it is taken from a CD. No embedded CD , however.

The saints preserve us from Serge's Yoko, Jane Birkin.

11. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

No I haven't. Living in France I don't feel I really need a biography. Does it have some special bearing on this song?

12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Love his film scores. Have been spinning Manon and Cannabis.

Beech and mfp like this.
  13. Neonbeam

It is very detailed. And a highly recommended read for everybody who doesn't speak French.

14. Neonbeam

I've been playing the original "Aux Arms" album five times yesterday and today. This is such a cool record!!!!!

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If you've got an expanded version on Philips it's from the Gainsbourg Forever box. If it's on Mercury it's the latest standalone version. If it's the version from the De Gainsbourg À Gainsbarre box it's got the Gomelsky mix of Hold Up and the other mixes of the other songs. If you get the Comic Strip comp you get all the Gomelsky mixes EXCEPT Hold Up. Confused??

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

If you buy this box you can hear the whole Initials BB in mono :D

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I have a first pressing. Sounds superb. I think Robbie Shakespeare said it was the best record he ever played on.

Echo likes this.
  18. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

It's the latest standalone version on Mercury/Universal (2003)

http://www.discogs.com/Serge-Gainsbourg-Initials-BB/release/2212056

19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

There is a clip on YouTube on the creation /construction of "Initials BB"
    Very interesting stuff.
    He was good, and he knew it.

20. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Not to leave any member of the family out of the discussion:
    [​IMG]

A musical salute, after a fashion, to daddy:

21. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I searched online for an early French release of Melody Nelson but didn't want to fork up the dough.

Went to my local record shop today to buy a recent reissue on the Light In The Attic label.

They had a copy as well as a used 1st press Canadian release in VG+ condition.

Bought the used copy and left the shop very happy...I just hope it sounds good.

22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

How can you recognize a first press... wasn't it something with the 'BIEM' wording, or...?

23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I think the 2011 Integrale has all four Gomelsky mixes.

Mylene likes this.
  24. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

The copy that I bought is a Canadian 1st press (Philips red label).

BIEM and SACEM is on the French release - not sure which wording represents an actual 1st press.

25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I see... thanks anyway!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.