Serpico film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awesome film!

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

70s Serpico
    80s Scarface
    90s Heat ( his best decade )

A ..Pacino film for every decade (just about ).

3. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Starting with Panic in Needle Park, Pacino star rose through the 70's. Everything film Serpico, Dog Day, Both Godfather's, etc. was something worth lining up for.
    Dog Day Afternoon was filmed across a wide street from our high school. I'd often walk past everyone in the cast, except Pacino, mornings as I headed toward school. Cazale was in full character as Sal when I saw him on the street making his way to the bank set. You didn't want to get near him but could take your eyes off him. Some of my classmates were crowd scene extras. When the film came out I remember being very impressed with it.
    Fond memories.

harmonica98, Dan C, somnar and 4 others like this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Found second hand copies of the 2disc Dog Day and a Serpico with extras! I saw they had them paired together in one set but I'm in them for the extras.

alexpop and g.z. like this.
  5. John54

John54 Senior Member

I saw Serpico in a cinema when it came out. I thought it resolved unsatisfactorily, but since it was a true story I already knew pretty much what was coming.

6. alexpop

Got Heat -Blu Ray cover white background ( guess the old BD)a few days ago.
    Wow! Al Pacino really carries this film, almost like a Al Pacino film with guest star Robert De Niro.

7. alexpop

That's the thing with 2 disc DVDs, sometimes the extras ( disc 2) don't get extended to the Blu Ray.

8. alexpop

Class mates"
    Immortalised on film.
    Cool.

9. alexpop

Heat< BD 2017 4K transfer ca 170 mins. 16.9
    Should I hold on to my DVD 164 mins ( 2.35:1)?

10. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I agree - in the 70s he really could do no wrong. Such an amazing actor. By the 80s, it was all over, IMO - he'd become a sort of caricature of himself (Scent of a Woman being the best example with all of those weird vocal tics).

GMfan87', Dan C and ohnothimagen like this.
  11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You had to see it in HS 'cause of all the cursing and the bathtub scene.:sigh:
    It was pretty intense. I realized I was different when I was blown away by a movie and the normal guys were just impressed by the nudity and the cursing.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Saw this for the first time ever just a couple years ago when it was on Netflix. Amazing film.

That apartment btw was a real place and I believe it still exists, but costs like 12,000% more. :laugh:

I love apocalyptic NYC movies of the 70s. It’s such a bland city in comparison now.

dan c

13. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I'm a life-long Yankees fan, and I love the shot of the cops meeting under a tree in Joyce Kilmer Park with Yankee Stadium (before the mid-70s renovation) in the background.

Speaking of quintessential gritty 70s NY movies, nobody's mentioned Taxi Driver. The French Connection is another good one.

In the 80s, Escape From New York took it to campy futuristic excess but was a fun enough movie.

C.H.U.D. took it to ridiculous excess, and is enjoyable in an Ed Wood sort of way (also the 80s).

TheVU and Alert like this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

NYC is not what it was 40 years ago. It wasn't all the glitz and bright lights, and 10 million dollar apartments. I remember flying into the city in 1976 and having to spend night, because our connecting flight was the next day. We did some "sight seeing", and my parents kept me and my sister very close. Movies such as The French Connection, Serpico, Taxi Driver, Fort Apache The Bronx, and American Gangster remind me of how it looked at that time.

ohnothimagen and budwhite like this.
  15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Now there's a New York/crime film I haven't seen in years...it's a good 'un!:righton:

16. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Haven't seen Serpico in a while but it's a terrific film. I read this recent piece about the real Frank Serpico the other day, it's quite long but a great read: A Genuine Actor: Francesco Serpico

Crimson Witch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.