Set list on Lennon's Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nikh33, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw this photo of a yellowing, tattered set list attached to Lennon's Rickenbacker. Can anyone make out the full set? I see Help! and We Can Work it Out on there, maybe I'm Down but can't see any others I'm certain about... anyone help? I'm particularly interested because I've never seen a video or film of them performing We Can Work It Out LIVE, yet I do remember seeing them do it in December 1965.

Attached Files:

2. Can you attach the URL? I wanted to blow up the image but the resolution got a bit dicey.

I also see "Ride" which is probably "Ticket to Ride",

3. nikh33

I downloaded it a while ago and I don't remember the site, sorry.:shake: I believe that was the full size anyway.

4. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

5. nikh33

That's:righton: a MUCH better photo!! Thanks!!
    So now I can see I wasn't dreaming, they DID open with Dizzy Miss Lizzy!!

6. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I see Baby's In Black, Nowhere Man and Yesterday.

I also see an "If..." which I suppose would be If I Needed Someone, based on the other songs on the list.

Dale

7. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

now THAT'S cool!

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I think it's and "I" followed by an "f", meaning I Feel Fine. Only ONE tour included We Can Work It Out, the quick December 1965 jaunt of the UK. This included a full band version of Yesterday with Paul on electric piano of all things. Ron

9. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I also see Day Tripper, Help, I'm Down, Act Naturally... Nice gig. :)

10. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I see I Feel Fine, act naturally, if i needed someone, we can work it out, nowhere man, baby's in black. help, yesterday, day tripper, i'm down, among others.

11. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

does that audio circulate? Never knew they tried We Can Work It Out live.

12. nikh33

I don't think it was an electric piano, he was more 'colouring' the song with washes of chords, kind of trying to sound like the string quartet I suppose. I think it was a VOX organ. He stood up and shook hands with John who sat and played the same organ on We Can Work it Out but not on I'm down, which they did with guitars.
    The full set list:
    Dizzy Miss Lizzy
    I Feel Fine
    She's a Woman
    If I Needed Someone
    Act Naturally
    Nowhere Man
    Baby's in Black
    Help!
    We Can Work It Out
    Yesterday
    Day Tripper
    I'm Down

13. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

According to the Lewisohn book, "The Beatles Live", the set list for the short December '65 tour was:

I Feel Fine
    She's A Woman
    If I Needed Someone
    Act Naturally
    Nowhere Man
    Baby's In Black
    Help!
    We Can Work It Out
    Yesterday
    Day Tripper
    I'm Down

14. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I think yours, with "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" makes more sense..

15. nikh33

You wouldn't want to hear it, they didn't seem too sure of the song and it was a bit of a shambles!

16. nikh33

There was so much screaming (indoors, too, Yeow!) that it was very hard to tell what they were singing for the first couple of minutes. But I knew it wasn't Twist and Shout. My cousins said it was Rock and Roll Music but when I saw the Shea stadium movie a couple of months later, i was pretty certain it had been Dizzy Miss Lizzy (which i didn't know they'd recorded at that point!)

17. brainwashed

It may have been a Vox organ, though I recall Lewisohn mentioning an electric piano. Very cool you were there. And no, not a second of the audio for this tour has been booted to date. Ron

PS I didn't recall If I Needed Someone being done, now that's pretty cool.

18. Much better. I remember hearing "If I Needed Someone" from "other" sources.

19. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

They did 'The Night Before' on BBC radio, which - if I remember correctly - was the only time it was ever played live?

20. brainwashed

It wasn't played live, it was recorded in a BBC studio and broadcast on their final radio show, The Beatles Invite You To Take a Ticket To Ride. Ron

21. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Cool photo.

Pretty sure I've got a copy of the BBC version of The Night Before somewhere, but IIRC it sounds pretty wretched.

I'd love to hear that Dec '65 show, mostly for We Can Work It Out, even if it was a shambles.

22. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I'd like to hear both. Especially if one's a shambles.

23. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

But "live" here is a matter of semantics, isn't it?

I'm asking because I don't know for sure, but it seems unlikely that the BBC performances would be multitrack affairs. Maybe instruments and vocals separately at the most, but I wouldn't think there would be much, if any overdubbing.

So "live in the studio" would perhaps be the way to phrase it?

24. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

For the most part. But it was done on multitrack, to allow for re-takes and periodic overdubs.

Some BBC Radio shows were done live with a small audience. Unfortunately, the Beatles didn't do many of those (certainly not as many as, say, the Stones).

In fact, I think they only did the two -

'Easy Beat' - recorded 6/19/63 at the Playhouse Theatre (broadcast 4 days later)

They did "Thank You Girl" and "Some Other Guy" (where George doesn't chicken out, unlike the famous Granada tv Cavern Club appearance, and actually plays the solo).

And a second 'Easy Beat', at the same location, on 10/16/63 (again, not broadcast until 4 days later).

I think they only did "I Saw Her Standing There" at that one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.