setting a cart on Rega P3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by copshop272, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copshop272

copshop272 New Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone thanks in advance..........I'm trying to install a Dynavector 10x5 cart onto to my Rega P3 RB 300 using the enjoy the music free protractor...However the alighnments differ between inner and outer grids....I centered the headshell screws so I'm guessing,the cart either has to be mounted more to the front or back on the headshell........How do you tell which is the case. I checked around a bit ,but received different theories on this subject.......You almost have to be a mathematician

2. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Generally you move the cartridge back and forward until the optimum alignment is reached.

For optimal alignment with some arms it is necessary to twist the cartridge slightly in the headshell. It may look funny, but that's OK.

If you feel you have to choose between the outside and inside markings, choose the inside ones. Tangency at the inner grooves is more important than at the outer diameters.

3. copshop272

copshop272 New Member Thread Starter

Thanks Mr Graham !

4. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

for the protractor to work correctly it needs to hit on both marks. That is what makes it accurate.
    start with the cartridge in the middle of th headshell, put it on the outer dot, move it to inner dot. if it does not hit the second dot think how far you would have to move it and move it half of that. Now this is the part i think a lot of people don't do at first. When you bring the arm back out to the first dot YOU MOVE the platter, with the protractor on it, and line it up with the first dot. You don't move the cartridge. Once you have it lined up again, then move it to the second, if it's still not on move it half the distance you think it needs to go, go back out to first dot, again MOVE the protractor so the first dot lines up. this may have to be repeated several times. I think a lot of times people get focused on the headshell and just keep moving it back and forth, not realizing the protactor needs to be adjusted as well. you will eventually get the protractor and the headshell in the right postion so that the stylus hits both dots and is accurately aligned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.