Seven Brides for Seven Brothers?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

You know you are old when...

a minor song from a 1950s musical gets stuck in your head!

I haven't watched this miovie in a couple of years, but got "Goin' Cortin'" stuck in my head today!

What do you think of the film? My daughter and I love it, but my 17 year old son always brings up Stockholm Syndrome whenever we watch it!:bigeek:

2. Love it. One of the best of the old Hollywood musicals.

Steve Litos likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

My wife loves it. I leave the room. I mean, I love Hollywood musicals but all I see are these horny guys racking up felony charges. The very premise bothers me.And don't say "that's the way it was", it was NEVER like that.
    All that said, the choreography is great.

4. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Howard Keel was great!!! When he became Miss Ellie's (Barbara Bel Geddes) love interest on "Dallas", I became a Dallas fanatic.

I don't know if anyone remembers the sickening, grotesque, and utterly contemptible 1970's song on Motown (????!!!!!) by "Charlene" called "I've Never Been To Me":

Howard Keel sang a version of it from a male perspective and it magically became a great song....

Howard Keel - I've never been to me

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It's magnificent. Lyricist Johnny Mercer and choreographer Michael Kidd seem to be in battle to see who can top the other

See also L'il Abner, from the same team
    I'm a bit hazy on details, but I seem to vaguely recall that during the rather lawless early period of the Cal gold rush, women were sometimes kidnapped and made to marry their abductors

Steve Litos likes this.
  6. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

When I see a mention of this film I always think of this exchange from The Golden Girls when Sophia keeps renting adult movies for the VCR:

Dorothy: "Ma, where have you been?"

Sophia: "I went to the video store."

Dorothy: "I said I'd go!"

Sophia: "Please, you never get any good movies. The last time you came back with Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Do you have any idea how disappointed I was to find out that it's a musical?"

Steve...O and ralphb like this.
  7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Why the hell isn't this on blu ray? And Bless Your Beautiful Hide just happened to be an earworm for me this past week.

Steve Litos and Benno123 like this.
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

I always think of that Monty Python routine: "Do you two boys here take those four girls there to be your seven brides?"

johnnyyen and Benno123 like this.
  9. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I was thinking that myself.

10. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I saw a TCM presentation at a theater a few years ago with Jane Powell and Robert Osborne as the host.

They said the film was shot twice, once for widescreen and once for standard.

They also said some of the budget was diverted to the higher profile Brigadoon and most of the movie was shot on the backlot.

It's a fun, entertaining movie that was a box office hit back in the day and even got a Best Picture nomination that year.

During the q and a session with Ms. Powell I did raise my hand (but never got to ask) "How many time did they put you on a box to get in the same frame as Howard Keel?" 5ft vs 6ft 3 in.

P.S. - Brigadoon lost money.

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Every Gene Kelly vehicle after SITR lost money

Steve Litos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.