Sgt Pepper Surround Mix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markshan, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there any way to get it other than the very expensive super deluxe box? Thanks.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

If you mean as a stand-alone, legitimate, for-sale-in-stores item--no. Gray area sources will abound, no doubt.
    But that doesn't mean you can't obtain it legally, of course. Someone might be willing to sell you a copy from their box here in the classifieds--try a WTB.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    mark winstanley and Simon A like this.
  3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

This warrants yet another Pepper thread? Good grief!

4. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

It'd be cool to talk surround mix without getting involved with the stereo mix debate or worthless shipping updates.

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yeah, I'll mos def be looking to snatch a lone surround disc myself.

I don't have $150 to throw at a shelf decoration.

6. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

The more the merrier :) Reading about the Beatles is exciting to most on this site....even if it is who does the ahh'S or whose dark barked at the end of a secret track. That's what the GOAT deserves.

Yes I would buy this stand alone I wonder the price point for those wanting to share the wealth will be.

7. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yes, post in WTB section, like I did. I didn't get it yet, but I will eventually.

8. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

The surround mix (DTS; Sony bluray into Yamaha AVR into Polk speakers) sounded fine to me, tame in the FX department but nicely balanced, and the rears did get some use. I'll have to listen again but I liked it a lot.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Agreed. And also...cripes, this is Aqualung, pt II. Only this time, I WILL be terribly honked-off if they come out with the Blu-ray separately, after I resorted to pay their ransom to get the surround mix.

On the other hand, not to hijack the thread, but, did anybody else see the writeup on Entertainment Weekly last week, wherein the mix was described as, "immersive stereo"...?! Really? Is the notion of
    5.1 music so outrageous, they just had to come up with another (incorrect) way to describe it?

mark winstanley and Jaap74 like this.
  10. markshan

Didn't Giles describe the stereo as "3D mono"? Don't blame the reporter.

Mike Campbell likes this.
  11. markshan

I really want to hear the surround but don't have that kind of discretionary income. If a mod takes issue with my post, I'm sure it will be moved or deleted.

AidanB, rxcory and dougb222 like this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You could buy the swt and look for someone who wants to buy the rest from you. In fact you could even throw in one of the surround discs with your resale as the same content comes on BR and DVD.

richierichie likes this.
  13. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Now that`s what I call a good idea, not that I`m selling but I reckon there may be quite a few hoping to claw some dosh back by selling the DVD or Bluray.

14. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I might post in one of the many Sgt Pepper threads if anyone would be interested in selling either the DVD or Blu Ray from their box.

People (like me) who have a Blu Ray player will never use the DVD, and those withought a Blu Ray player have no use for the Blu Ray.

I have promised my DVD to a friend who just doesn't have the $

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I think this thread warrants a life of its own to talk about the surround mix only.

16. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Can someone help me understand the differences between the DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHd 5.1 formats? I have a 5.1 audio system (NOT home theater), but I've never understood what these two formats are, and how they might differ. FWIW, I listened to the Dolby TrueHd Sgt. Pepper and found it fascinating, though the purist is likely not going to be amused.

17. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

DTS and Dolby are different companies. They both offer uncompressed sound in those two variations.

Plan9 likes this.
  18. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

So it's two different companies. What (if any) differences are there in sound characteristics? I think that's the real question. Anyone know?

RubenH and signothetimes53 like this.
  19. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

On my system, I find the Dolby seems to have a little more low end than the DTS. That said, if a recording is a little lacking in the low end I will go Dolby.

Conversely, I think DTS provides a slightly more articulate reproduction. It's really a preference. Both are top notch

20. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Was anyone able to rip the surround sound from the DVD or Blu-ray? Idk how to do it but want it on my ipod

21. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Do you have a surround iPod?

22. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I don't know a single person (including myself) who bought this, and actually had the 'discretionary income'. Buying the box is a wanton act of self-destruction. I both applaud and pity your restraint.

23. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I love the surround mix - I have listened to it a few times. Biggest difference for me is: Fixing A Hole; almost sounds like a different song, Lucy In Thee Skies; great detail; A Day in the Life, Mr Kite; a lot of fun to listen to as the sounds kind of fly around; Within You Without You; not my favorite song, but it sounds clearer. ALL of the songs bring to life Macca's bass. In all, a very fun listen.

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Thanks for all the reviews on the surround mix so far! :)

amcaudio likes this.
  25. markshan

peteham wins the internet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.