Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'll buy it if they throw in a DVD of Ringo listening to the newly added tracks on a computer and telling us about his time on horse.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, you are correct. Details have not been fully determined, but again: Think more than 1 disc.

3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

If Live at the Hollywood Bowl is any indication, then the bonus tracks will appear AFTER A Day in the Life and be listed as "bonus tracks." And if 1+ is any indication, the stereo image of several of the songs will be ruined by Giles Martin as his remixes will eliminate the floating/panning vocals found on the original stereo issue.

4. Arnold Grove

And also: Don't get overly ecstatic. Even when Apple does throw us an extra bone, they do not always do everything that they should have done.
    For example, the recent Hollywood Bowl CD release gave us only 4 bonus tracks when they should have given us a full set list of both the 1964 and 1965 concerts (at least in a deluxe edition). So Apple rarely satisfies completely. However, something SPECIAL is coming, but the exact details as to how "special" it will be is still being worked out.

ALSO: Any newspaper reports right now are SPECULATION, probably the result of leaks indicating that something is in the works at Apple. The full details will be forthcoming, but I'd say AFTER Paul's Flowers In The Dirt reissue comes out in late March.

5. bward

bward Senior Member

You know, this would be the perfect place to release Carnival of Light...

6. Arnold Grove

It might the perfect place for it, but don't hold your breath for it.

7. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Mr Grove's post before yours is likely to be very prescient here. Gut feel...you'll get far more than simply two tracks added. That is very unlikely to be one of them.

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

First of all, *if* this is even for real and the album is remixed, we can only hope that Giles will put the same effort into it which he put in the L O V E remixes. The complete songs on there (as opposed to the mashups) are the best sounding versions anywhere. I don't think "1" is as bad as some make it out to be but there are indications that some of it may have been a bit rushed.

9. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

As someone who admittedly ENJOYS the "what if's" albums threads like the White Album being a single album, the imaginary Beatles 13th studio album in 1971, the Let It Be vs. Naked debate, and even should/where would "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" appear on Sgt. Pepper, I am against this move. I always thought The Beatles made a point - and I agreed with the point - that their original albums deserved to stand alone, without bonus tracks. They were that good; they didn't need bonus tracks to improve them or..market them. And besides, re-mixed versions or not, it's not like Beatles' fans don't have "Penny Lane" or "Strawberry Fields" already and need another version tacked on somewhere.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    meanmrkite, deany76, DVEric and 10 others like this.
  10. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Yeah, because Paul has NEVER talks about Sgt. Pepper and Ringo still hasn't gone into detail about his chess strategies! :D

11. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

This is huge! We'll finally, after all these years, get to hear SFF and Penny Lane. I've heard they existed and now we get them. Hurray!!!

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I would prefer, on Lp, the original album with a second disc, a 12" single of SSF/ PL.

P.S. all analogue.

13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Incredible news - a remixed Pepper with an extra disc would be amazing. And if it includes Carnival Of Light I may implode! If it doesn't :wantsome:

Paulwalrus, AidanB, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The production of the two songs don't sound like the Pepper org Lp.
    Penny Lane comes close.
    I would imagine they'd be bonus trks,
    Unless there's a track listing from GM from 1967 with the inclusion of PL/SFF as a early possibility of them being included in the finished album.

andrewskyDE, Mickey2 and DK Pete like this.
  15. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Let the madness begin at SHF.

16. Arnold Grove

There never was any official proposed track list with Penny Lane and SFF as these two songs were siphoned off by February 1967, way before most of the Pepper songs were even recorded.

17. alexpop

Are you "really " sure?

18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

They're loosening up, but in bizarre fashion. This will leave Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour with many awkward moments as they sit together in the record and CD racks, with the common songs sneering at one another about who is on the better album.

In fact, they're changing the cover, opting for something a little more understated, like George originally wanted:

[​IMG]

NOS300B, jeffslate, dalsh327 and 48 others like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Yes.

Steve E. and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  20. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Scraping the ideas barrel. Leave well alone macca & assoicates.

An AAA stereo issue, will be fine, to fill the coffers.

andrewskyDE, mrdon and Chemguy like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Reminds me of Dylan's John Wesley Harding.

22. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

If this is happening, there will be more than one configuration. A single disc . . . a deluxe with the original album, 50th version, 5.1, book, a bonus disc with . . . "Carnival of Light" (perfect time, yes?).

Maybe, they're testing the market for deluxe sets. Pepper would be the perfect album for the test.

If the singles are included in the 50th version, I always thought they'd only work if "Strawberry Fields" followed "Lucy" and "Penny Lane" preceded "Sixty-Four."

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  23. alexpop

Is this Giles Martin's "psychedelic "album he mentioned working on?

Wingsfan2012 and Bowie Fett like this.
  24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I believe the 'philosphy' of Beatles releases was to release a pre-album single to generate interest in the group and the new album, but not to include the single on the forthcoming album. [Sounds kinda crazy, now that I've written it out - but that was the practice.] Once recording started in late '66, SSF and PL were originally planned to be included on the album, but the group had not released any new original material in what was considered for them a long time. SSF/ PL were among the first recorded new tracks and EMI decided to release them as a single to get some new product out there in the marketplace. Therefore, according to plan, they were presumed not to be included on the album.

DmitriKaramazov, Sean and alexpop like this.
  25. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Couldn't they find an image where they are, like, say, feeding some goats?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.