Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m4murder

m4murder Forum Resident

Where does this 2015 PL remix reside? The 1+ set?

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Not remastered per se, but re-compiled with the 2009 remasters in 2010 or 2011...
    Yes.

Lewisboogie, Percy Song and m4murder like this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

4. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  5. And that is cheaper than new CDs were over 25 years ago. Considering inflation ,a single CD should cost over $30 plus today so things are not all so pricey.

6. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

It is a pretty nice price, especially considering the rather lavish (for a 2-CD set) packaging it looks to have.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

the US in 2017, one can never know........................

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. Wingsfan2012

Well if they sold that much Mazzy that was hasten even more people to "jump the shark" and stop buying physical media. I think it just goes to show how "inflated" the price was even 20 years ago for music!

9. CDs were definitely overpriced back in the late 80s. Record Companies cashed in big time as so many rebought their collections in the new format. I thought all the prices for this set (including the deluxe) are fair. I know a lot about the costs that goes into these reissues and special packages-not cheap.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Klassik, dbacon, supermd and 4 others like this.
  10. Wingsfan2012

No, Alpha Omega came out in the early 70's and featured some solo Beatles as well......................I know some still claim this as there favorite Beatles compilation.............

[​IMG]

Keith V and ODIrony like this.
  11. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

I'm kind of going wild in my order :)oops:) so 2 CD set $15.99, 2 LP set $35.18, Deluxe box $117.99. (And yes, if I thought my daughter wouldn't kill me, I'd be considering the 1 CD for the car.)

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  12. Wingsfan2012

Strange Days Indeed!

13. Wingsfan2012

I will keep the 2009 Remaster that came with the box as my "single CD" version and have the 2 CD for the car. Same plan I had with "Pure McCartney" and "Flowers in the Dirt"..........

ODIrony likes this.
  14. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

15. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well I haven't either. Rather than a mass produced thing like a Snickers bar, I'm picturing an upscale confectionery or bakery in a ritzy part of London or something.. from the descriptions. I'm sure one of our Brit friends can enlighten us.

I don't know what Ginger sling is, but a pineapple tart seems pretty obvious.... & Savoy truffle would seem to be a truffle from the Savoy hotel I would think.

16. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Well, I disagree. The Beatles were pioneers in breaking the mold that recorded music should only be a reflection of what you would hear in a live performance. They used the studio as an instrument of musical art, and Sgt Pepper is probably the best example of this.

I am convinced that they would have totally engaged in using surround sound had it been available in 1967.

You may prefer all you recorded music to sound "natural" and like live music. That's fine.

For me, I am not so rigid. I welcome the artists vision of placing me where they think I should be in the soundstage that is best for the song.

zobalob, BeatleJWOL, tages and 2 others like this.
  17. Your imagination is probably more elegant than the real thing. Now you can enjoy the next few minutes matching the candies with their titles below! Tho I don't think they completely match...:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Klassik, voles, Mal and 5 others like this.
  18. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

A couple of things: Regarding the Beatles' preference for mono vs stereo, I would fully expect them to focus more on the mono, since - as we all know - that was the format most people would buy in those days. As to the stereo, I'm quite sure the sounds floating around the sound stage was something they delighted in, but again, the stereo market was a specialty in those days. I'm equally convinced that if surround sound existed and had been widely available to their listeners, they would have dived right in. As to surround sound not replicating the experience one has at a concert, I think it depends on the music and its goals. If the song is something like the Sgt Pepper theme, audience sounds around you, with the band ahead, even if marching across the stage, would be appropriate. On the other hand, the champagne cork popping and psychedelic flourishes at the end of Lovely Rita could enjoyably be placed anywhere in a surround sound mix and work. Just my opinion.

longaway and MoonPool like this.
  19. I haven't participated in those threads in years but back when Freezer was still alive some of those threads were INSANE lol

marmalade166 and lpfreak1170 like this.
  20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, people forget (or maybe weren't born yet) the days when double-CDs -- especially the Beatles, who refused to discount anything -- were $32.99. Maybe $24.99 on sale. I wish physical media wasn't in a tailspin, but the upside is we're finally getting non-gouging prices for regular CDs.

21. johnny moondog 909

Maybe the new 5.1 tracks utilize more spectral editing than the new stereo mix. To split individual instruments onto their own track. So you could put more individual things in each of the 5 speakers, & pan drum fills, & backround vocals across all 5 speakers, feel & hear it move left to center to right.

But apparently the 5.1 process is quite expensive, would they really drop an extra several hundred grand in additional spectral editing costs, just for the 5.1 ?

What's the .1 for anyway ? A 10th of a 6th speaker ?

Imagine say, there will be a show tonight on trampoline.....Boing boing boing boing boing, across 5 speakers panning, stuff like that or hoops & horses, and lastly, through a hogs head, of real fire, each couple words or phrase switching to a new speaker for the vocal...

I think of what I'd like to hear from Apple them subtract 85% & figure what it actually sounds like.

I'm warming to the idea of a "the rest of 67" Beatles lumping the 9 remaining Mystery Tour tracks, with the 3-1967 Submarine tracks, + Carnival of Light & Xmas time is here again & a 67 Beatles jam excerpt, with a cool new mix, Frankensteining the best elements of various jam takes together into one listenable new 12 bar original kinda thing,,,

So they'll never do it of course.

willy and notesfrom like this.
  22. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I think the .1 is for the subwoofer. I liked the way Fleetwood Mac put the bass guitar in the subwoofer on the "Rumours" dvd audio.

23. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Yep, I remember wanting to buy the 62-66 Red album on CD in the nineties and couldn't justify its £30 cost - so I bought it on vinyl instead for £15! I imagine the prices would be reversed these days, perhaps increased on the vinyl.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

Oh I'm shamed, just an ordinary box of candies ! By Good News !

What does it mean, what does it mean, oh the Beatles secret messages !!

Still closer to elegant than the average 7-11

So does one need to purchase the 6 disc to get take 1 of Strawberry Fields with restored backround vocals, or is that on the 2 disc... We've been discussing cancelling the 6 disc for the 2 disc. But Strawberry take 1 with bv could be a deal breaker.

By the way the new stereo samples do sound a good 2-3 generations cleaner to me online.. the little snippets with Giles Martin talking about the Integrity of Sgt Pepper, while still making it fresh... Even just the little bits online.. power of suggestion or actually sounding great ! We'll discuss that & more on coast to coast !

I'm leaning towards $25 is a heckuva deal for the 2 disc if it has SFF with backrounds, that's what I'd want. So of course without looking, I know it's not packaged that way.

Keith V and sallymae_hogsby like this.
  25. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Sgt. piobair croí uaigneach Club Band gan aon rianta ar fáil ag Amazon...sorry I forgot this forum only spoke Beatles. And yes I am back! BWAAAAAHHH!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.