Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

It's National Weed Day.

Klassik likes this.
  2. I live in Seattle. It's everyday here if you choose.

3. It means Eric Clapton had to go to the dentist, to have them all pulled out. (The song was supposedly inspired by Eric's sweet tooth. I don't know if he really did have his teeth pulled out, or if it was just a warning by George.)

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  4. ArmyOfQuad

ArmyOfQuad Forum Resident

You seem to forget about bands like Pink Floyd and ELP having quad setups at their concerts.

Also, an album is a very different listening experience than a live show. Quite often studio methods are used to create an experience that is different from what you would get at a live show. Creating a mix in which the music surrounds you is a valid tool of enhancing the experience. I seriously tire of the "the band plays in front of me at a show" argument against surround sound. It's a weak argument at best.

If you don't like surround, great, don't listen to it. But anti-surround people repeating the same old tired bs about why it's "wrong" is really getting tiring.

Tristero, zobalob, BeatleJWOL and 3 others like this.
  5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm not so sure they would have embraced surround sound and such as a target. I think they would have just used more tracks and mixed in stereo. Sort of how they actually did in their solo careers.
    Even with Pepper's focus on extensive overdubs, at the core is a band performance that they then "tracked" to complete. This was the way they thought about working in the studio.
    Apart from a handful of recording experiments, they were pretty basic in their methods.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Well, actually the box of chocolates were called Good News. They were produced by a company called Mackintosh (later Rowntree Mackintosh) until the late 80s. You might buy a box of these chocolates for your mother on special occasions. It's unlikely you'd have to have all your teeth pulled out after consuming a Savoy Truffle, a soft-centered chocolate.

Probably the most famous chocolates produced by the company was "Quality Street" (also a Van Morrison song, on "Hymns To The Silence"), and which are still being produced in colourful individual wraps in tins and are particularly popular with families at Christmas. Rowntree Mackintosh was acquired by Nestle in 1988.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#

7. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I liked this post, and because I can't like it more than once, I am replying.

Yes, I too am tired of the stupid arguments against surround sound based on its departure from live recording conventions. Don't like it, don't listen.

Bill, Larry Geller, longaway and 4 others like this.
  8. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I seem to recall when the Beatles reissues first started, Strawberries had a deal that if you bought all four releases you'd get them for like $60 for the set. That seemed like a really good deal at the time, as I think they initially sold for $17 each or thereabouts. So the $120 or whatever it is for six discs and $25 bucks for the double Pepper disc is a real bargain in today's money.

9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Well, back in the day, there was really only one double album (the White Album) on CD when the Beatles were first issued on CD in 1987. The Red and Blue albums weren't released until 1993. I purchased my white album at Target when it was first released at Target's regular price - $24.99 which was roughly twice the cost of the $12.99 that I paid for all the Beatles single issue CDs.

I just checked Walmart online and their current price for the White Album CD is $17.40. So about $7 cheaper than in 1987, but of course it would be way less expensive with inflation factored in. Or looked at another way, $17.40 in today's dollars would have been around $9 back in 1987.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

One exception: The cute Beatle (who shall remain nameless in this post) still wants me to pay an exorbitant price to be able to download those Flowers In The Dirt B-sides, as opposed to just throwing in an extra physical CD in the deluxe box set, which would cost MPL about 25 cents or so.

11. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Ditto here in Denver, but they are having a parade today to celebrate.

Mazzy likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

But no one can walk in a straight line for the parade, so it's more like a bunch of people walking around and around (literally)... ;)

13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's akin to zombie movie.

14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Guilty as charged......:nyah:

dbacon and Lewisboogie like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

My wife and I worked at The Wiz in Georgetown in the late- '80's...where EVERY CD was $9.99.
    Single CD, of course...
    but, we suspected some sort of 'organized crime' behind the whole place, made the price what it was!

16. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

If I'm really honest with myself, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is the most dated track on here----even more so than Within You Without You.
    But I like the vocal, the track, the whole controversial mystique and that it's Lennon showing some creativity during a time when he let Paul take the reins.
    For a time I thought of it has his version of Mr. Tambourine Man.

17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I was thinking about the 1993 CD launch of Red and Blue when I cited the $32.99 price -- it was quite controversial at the time because the Red album was around 60 minutes and Apple refused to allow it to be released on one disc, and wouldn't allow it to be discounted. I'm sure prices varied somewhat from market to market, but where I was it was $32.99 -- which is why I didn't buy it for many years. Bottom line -- "regular" single and double-CDs are finally being priced fairly, and box sets are getting more and more expensive. $45-60 was pretty normal for a 4-CD box set 15-30 years ago, but the addition of books and trinkets have driven those prices WAY up. That's showbiz, I guess.

18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well Arnie, I did say "regular" CDs were being priced fairly -- CDs trapped in expensive box sets (and "invisible" download-only CDs!) are another matter...

Paul H and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

I'm still troubled by that "invisible" CD.... ;)

Regardless, I'm glad that Apple (as opposed to MPL) hasn't gone down the download-only route for any of the Pepper material. As I've said before, if you are creating a super-deluxe physical set, then that should mean that you are supplying your customers with PHYSICAL items.

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

You must have been selling a lot of THIS record label, huh?

[​IMG]

Dee Zee likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Never realized Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich wrote "Hanky Panky". I learn something new here every day.

22. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

It's a stroke of marketing genius to re-release a 50 year old album, most people already have, with zero new songs or previously unreleased songs, quadruple the price & have tons of people saying what a bargain it is.

PIGGIES and Willowman like this.
  23. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

One big Beatles canon mistake with red & blue, is not adding a few more songs, particularly to the red one. Does 62-66 have even one Harrison song ? They should have at least added Taxman.

24. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

To my ears stereo is gimmicky as well, because it's also not representative of hearing a band live. I've been to lots of concerts and can remember only one that had a stereo mix off the PA. That was Roxy Music / Avalon Tour.
    In general I think the drawback for live stereo is too few people in the sweet spot.
    So, for me stereo can be a wonderful soundstage and work very well and we've all excepted it as realistic...but it's not.
    Sgt Pepper is what it is, because it couldn't be played live. Looking forward to both new mixes. A good 5.1 mix like a good stereo mix can put you more in contact with the music. It takes me closer. And they're both unrealistically wonderful.
    I think Pepper is going to adapt well
    To surround.

HoundsOBurkittsville and zobalob like this.
  25. tages

tages Senior Member

But we're not listening to "live music" - we're listening to a studio creation that was deliberately miles away from what they were doing on stage. It's art man!

And when the remasters came out, Ringo made it clear that he liked the stereo and even mocked the mono purists.

I'm glad to have both.

let him run..., MoonPool and Keith V like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.