Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is Calderstone Productions just for Beatles recordings, or does it involve solo-Beatles-on-Apple and others things too?

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  2. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Spoiler alert:

The descriptions of the recording sessions are not just copied from Lewisohn they are all new and they found new and different information about some things.

"Penny Lane" has FOUR pianos playing not three and of course Paul played them all at the same time because according to George he was quite keen. :shh:

nasa09, Yorick, forthlin and 5 others like this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Good to know they did new research. Regardless of how the new mix will be in peoples tastes (some will like, some wont) it seems Apple is doing a lot to put out a quality release.

jlf, dewey02 and ODIrony like this.
  4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

However....

A. How many are they making?
    B. Will they make enough for the potential demand?
    C. If they don't, will they make more?
    D. If they make more, will the "more" have a lenticular cover?

(Note to self: Pre-order the Super Deluxe. Hang fire on the 2CD until the bank account has recovered...)

ODIrony likes this.
  5. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Are there any music sound clips in that unboxing video ?

When life gets me down I try & find a nice falafel sandwich while I think it over.

I've had mega mixed emotions about this new Sgt Pepper 50. On the one hand I'm glad to have whatever new Beatles I can get, & I appreciate 30 alternate takes as bonus tracks, & new stereo & 5.1 mixes, & hey they even threw in the original mono & tacked SFF & PL onto the end of the mono ? Or the alternates ?

Maybe best of all SFF with restored backround vocals on take 1. ( Can anybody verify that ?)

What I'm disappointed in, is the content that I would have wanted personally, specifically.

One disc with SFF & PL & a new mix of Northern song mixed into the running order. Just one disc of the 6 like that. Really wanted that.

2nd at least a 4-5 minute excerpt of Carnival of light, if not the entire 13 minutes. Also at least one mix or outfake mix of the Sgt Pepper jam(s) maybe enhancing it flying in guitar from a 2nd take or what have you. Also at least a short excerpt of Ringos Anyway track. So yeah the truly unreleased material.

3rd I was hoping for 1 new album mix with all the stops out, substantial demixing & or spectral editing to really separate the tracks with instruments on their own faders, & flown in guitars, drums, backround vocals, keyboards, horns, tablas, sitars, & unused overdubs, to double, fatten, enhance, make it really big & different, not a modern reproduction of the original mixes.. at least on 1 disc, not to say everything they did do shouldn't be there, what they did is fine. I'm simply talking about additional things that would all fit on the same 6 discs, by using some of that blank space.

4th at least 1 new 3-4 minute music video of one of the 13 Sgt Pepper tracks, that currently has no official music video. I would have really felt better about my purchase, & been much happier with the content, if they had done even 1\2 the things I listed.

I continue to buy "new" Beatles music product, most of the time, but generally it lacks a lot of what I would want in content.

I am pleased that this may signal a new type of expanded set every year for the next several years. I'm hoping one of them has what I actually want.

I'm looking forward to some of the amateur fans that will create endless mash up, remix & variations of some of this new stuff.

No one has mentioned the new tie in tv special since Arnie first mentioned it, I suppose there's hope it won't be awful.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tweet tweet.
    Present on the org pressing.

maandrade likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Rolling Stones ripped of that sticky imagery as well. Ok! I'll zip it now. :)

8. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

A third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without beddin' her back down.

voles likes this.
  9. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's horses for courses, Johnny M - but I'm really glad that none (or very little) of this appears to have been done (though we'll still have to see about any demixing).

Laservampire, yardbuzzard and Onder like this.
  10. InRoom19

InRoom19 Forum Resident

I am not sure where this was recorded, but it isn't Abbey Road.

ODIrony likes this.
  11. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

Here you go, £91 including postage Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 6 Disc Super Deluxe Box Set - The Beatles

voles, Paul H and ODIrony like this.
  12. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I hope not, if I wait until Beatlefest in August it will already be at least $50.00!

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  13. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

Is there any chance that Emerick isn't entirely wrong about Blackbird? Is there any chance at all that they decided to sit outside and just play the guitar to see what the atmosphere did to the song, and while listening they heard a few singing birds and decided to use sound effects on the record?

It's just such a weird thing to get so completely wrong - but given how the Beatles effectively took over EMI Abbey Road for the recording of The Beatles, isn't it possible that they might've tried loads of different things while developing songs?

It might've even been something else - they might've just decided to go sit outside for a while and Paul brought his guitar and jammed, and started playing Blackbird; Emerick could be remembering something that is real in some way.

14. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

There was a press presentation this week in the Netherlands. That's where it was filmed I think, because I hear several Dutch speaking persons. Unfortunately I didn't read anything about it in the Dutch press the past days. Maybe in the coming week(s) when the monthly magazines arrrive....

15. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Well maybe "We're Only In It For The Money" by Zappa & The Mothers. Theme-wise it mimics some of Pepper (the "reprise" and all) and some songs seem to directly mock some of The Beatles' music, though it sound much different. Cover was a direct parody, too.

alexpop and lobo like this.
  16. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

At 2:53 in the unboxing video: "we're making more of these than of any box set that we've ever made before." Still catching up, sorry if this is redundant.

Yorick likes this.
  17. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

That book actually looks really nice

Bern likes this.
  18. I am not entirely sure that Zappa didn't enjoy at least part of it. This impression comes from an interview he gave in the 60s, maybe to Miles, where, IIRC, Zappa didn't come across as a Beatles basher at all.

In my mind anyway, "Mom & Dad" from The Mothers' album was a direct echo to "She's Leaving Home".

And one should not forget that Zappa's Pepper parody cover happens to also simultaneously parody... The Rolling Stones!

[​IMG]

19. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

Looks like the Spanish cover took it one step further, except it was only three fingers ;):

[​IMG]

20. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

There is no chance. First of all, it was just Paul. John was busy in Studio 3 compiling sound effects and tape loops with Chris Thomas, for Revolution #9. The EMI paperwork says Blackbird was recorded in 32 takes in Studio 2. It was an night session as well. You think they'd set up gear and lighting outdoors? It was not in a hall way adjoining the studio either. There's a rough mono mix of the song (Peter Seller's Tape) which is complete without the bird sound effects. The effects tape used "Volume 7" Birds of Feather" was recorded by another EMI engineer, Stuart Eltham, who mentions in The Beatles Recording Sessions that he used one of the first EMI portable tape decks and recorded the sounds of birds in his very own backyard. The bird sounds are different in the mono and stereo mixes too. It was not an effects record either, but tape. Maybe Geoff was remembering the session from 1974, known as The Backyard Tapes? Ron

21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I still think I'm with Geoff on this one... ;)

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What?

24. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Most birds are silent at night. I wouldn't expect sparrows to be making too much noise.

25. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Emerick might be confusing this with Paul recording the song during the Backyard tape. Paul was using him around that time with BOTR and One Hand Clapping sessions. That's where Paul recorded that version of Blackbird dedicated to Idi. He's confusing the WA session with this one done approx 6 years later.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.