Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Limited releases like this make no sense to me. Theyre not charging extra because its limited, so its not like theyre making more money. It only helps resellers.

andrewskyDE, Paulwalrus and Peter_R like this.
  2. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

I felt the same - I saw "Sony/ATV" and felt the visceral disgust at the way such an amazing catalogue has been treated by everyone.

My suspicion is that Paul - and maybe Yoko - might absolutely put a stop to the name Northern Songs being used even symbolically, given how much they have invested in getting the catalogue back.

It's sweet that "Calderstones" is the name of the newish joint Apple-Universal music company, given it's literally the connecting place between Lennon and McCartney. But I just don't think Northern Songs will exist until McCartney has the copyrights back from Sony/ATV.

MsMaclen likes this.
  3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Agus Gaedhilg (aisteach) agat fosta?

fogalu likes this.
  4. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

They gave up on that publishing note just as they did on the song of the same name being included in the Deluxe set.

5. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I managed to get a copy at my local store this morning. They must have received quite a few to sell. Everybody in the long line in front of me seemed to be clutching a copy along with their other purchases, but there were still at least four more copies in the singles box by the time I reached my hand into it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    supermd likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Wasn't Dick James responsible for thinking up the name "Northern Songs"? If so, I'm certain that Paul in particular does not want to be reminded of anything that Mr James did.

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Seems to be on Irish pressings which used the Capitol stamper (and sleeve, bizarrely).

8. SAPCOR1

SAPCOR1 Forum Resident

It was named Northern Songs in homage/parody of Buddy Holly's UK publisher Southern Music

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    andrewskyDE likes this.
  9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Northern Beetles (Beatles) and southern Crickets, eh?

andrewskyDE and SAPCOR1 like this.
  10. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I believe it was 50 years ago today that the run-out groove was recorded:-

#

andrewskyDE, Yovra and Bingo Bongo like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Really?

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I dont know if I'm gonna buy the Sgt Pepper CD or buy it in iTunes... :hide::shh:

applejam101 likes this.
  13. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

It doesn't really matter what chords I play
    What words I say or time of day it is
    As it's only a Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC song

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the original.

nasa09, ODIrony, Beatlebug and 5 others like this.
  14. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

This is where I think some people miss the point of Record Store Day. Selling a limited number of exclusive titles entices people (obviously not all) to get out to their local store. In the case of SFF/PL, it actually isn't all that limited for a RSD release. 7,000 copies is quite a high number.

But again, I don't think it's so much about the releases as it is to get people INTO independent record stores.

If you take away the limited quantities and exclusives, then nothing separates it from any other release. If people know they will be readily available and plenty to go around, they're going to stay at home and most likely order online that day.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sneaky suspicion that SP 50th Anniversary Lp/deluxe' s are going to sell out regardless of not being limited.

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Too much bass for me

dasacco and Embracetheday like this.
  17. For all the hoopla about the remixed Hollywood Bowl rerelease, it doesn't sound noticeably better or even that different than the original 1977 LP.

18. Ettan

Ettan Forum Resident

Moving out your parents home and getting a job? Is that what you consider the "human experience"? Are you serious?

19. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Gotta agree with that, but it was nice to get a legit CD!

20. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

After reading his ridiculous assumptions, I feel like bringing out Marshall McLuhan ("You know nothing of my work").

21. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

How so?

22. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Zappa's humor is great in the early years, but as the decades go by it seems like he's just complaining to his fans about "record companies want you to think this or that is cool, even though it's garbage music." So Zappa seemed to me to complain about anything that went mainstream regardless of quality. We're Only In It for The Money is a better example of his early humor, but I agree, his point is confusing. It's never really made clear if he thinks the hippie movement is totally misguided or just a goofy distraction from something more important, and he also seems to criticize hippie culture from within the culture itself, as if he's a member of what he calls "this giant mass perception" in Flower Punk. He also doesn't present much of an alternative plan of his own, because he doesn't offer any suggestions like "hey the hippies have got it wrong about things and what you should do instead is go to the library and read great works of literature instead of going to protests and love-ins like the lemmings are doing."

Thelonious_Cube and fallbreaks like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Seen Zappa do a version of I Am The Walrus live.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  24. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Oh boy, that's not my experience. But I've played the 1977 original a LOT over the past 40 years so I know the sound of that record intimately. To me, the new version is a major, major upgrade.

ODIrony, soundQman and Shaddam IV like this.
  25. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

How is this new-remix of Penny Lane?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.