Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Since it's the weekend, just a reminder of how far the boys have come to reach the heights of Sgt Rutter.

fogalu likes this.
  2. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Many were released, some escaped.

andrewskyDE and ODIrony like this.
  3. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

A very interesting question!

Back then, stereo was a huge new experience and I was so overcome by the stereo version of the album that I gave away the mono copy to a friend of mine!

Stereo was a big thing back in the late sixties and, to be honest, I was more interested in the stereo effects than anything else. We weren't very forensic back in those days and we weren't aware of different mixes. I remember being blown away by "Lucy" but now I realise that most of the effect was caused by a totally different mix.
    And, of course, "A Day in the Life" was a show-off piece to my friends who had never heard stereo! John Lennon moving across the room blew all my friends away.

It wasn't until 2oo9 when the original mono version became available that I remembered a few things that were missing from the stereo version: I could quote a lot of differences but most notably Paul's shouting at the end of the Sgt Pepper reprise.

So - you are talking to a guy who is torn between two versions. And there's a third about to appear! Well, a fourth if you count the Yellow Submarine Songtrack. (And if you are really picky, the Anthology versions.)

Let's just say: I love Sergeant Pepper! :)

You need an answer - so - I have to say the stereo version because I got more mileage out of it. Let's see what the remix does.
    But I really need them all,

4. let him run...

I thought I was too, I didn't get better.

5. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I wonder Arnie if you can offer some kind of update on the tv special tie in, you spoke of when first letting us know the Pepper 50 was coming.

Is the tv special simply the documentary on the DVD, or is a tv show still coming.

2nd question to anyone, when Giles Martin said they considered but rejected Carnival of light for Pepper 50. But he ( Martin) hoped to hey would be able to do something really special with Carnival on another project....

Was Giles simply far$ing in the wind, or is there a project in development that will include the track. If so what sort of Beatles project is it ?

6. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

I partially agree! Even though there are elements missing on the stereo-edition; it is very trippy indeed. All the hard-panning makes up for the "blend" that mono-mix has that the stereo-mix doesn't; but in the end-- both are essential. Thank you for your insight!

ODIrony and fogalu like this.
  7. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Does that include box sets? Then it has to be WAY over 200

8. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Nicely put! It was much the same for me, except that (i) I didn't replace my June 1967 mono copy until September 1970 and (ii) I sold my mono copy to a friend (for £1, I believe).

fogalu likes this.
  9. let him run...

It seems as if you've been reading my mail. The biggest difference seems to be in monetary currency.

fogalu likes this.
  10. Fillmore Midwest

Fillmore Midwest Forum Resident

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I meant any duplication--did Southall write any of the book that comes with the box.

11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Indeed, great picture cover. Love the shots of The Beatles as kids on the back of the sleeve. Perfect sleeve for a perfect single

supermd likes this.
  12. pdas1996

pdas1996 Forum Resident

The picture sleeve image (front) is one of my favorite images of the Beatles.

13. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Same here!

14. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I remember buying Pepper stereo the week it was released, listening to it with my teenage friends where we were simply blown away, as if we had a magic genie in a bottle or something. School was just getting out for the year so we had the Summer of '67 to explore the album, its cover, and our childhood innocence.

As I got older I would listen to it with headphones on my dad's stereo, yet, the ultimate experience came six years later moving in with other friends, one of them owning pair of Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater speakers that sat in a cramped living room no less. I mean those things were huge! So much so, if a record skipped (god forbid), any unwelcome pulse of the subwoofer would merit a sonic explosion, along with a change of clean underwear, no ****!

Numerous organic substances were also present, while Pepper's stereo image seemed coming out of the speakers like a dayglo boomerang, John's disembodied voice floating around the room as if he were a wayward spirit trying find his lysergic-soaked body. When the orchestra took off it seemed like the sheer volume of the instruments were carrying us beyond the apartment's walls that no longer existed. However, not one neighbor knocked on our door to complain (which may have been a good thing because we were previously listening to Pink Floyd's Careful With That Axe Eugene).

It wasn't until years later that I read how The Beatles favored Pepper mono, so, I found a British import with its glossier, borderless, & muted album cover (by comparison) that I came to cherish that reminded me of some long lost photo stored in an attic harkening back to 1947. Indeed, this mono mix was quite different, almost like a rare "outtake" because I was so used to the stereo rendition, yet, the mono intrigued me because its sounds felt like a rare discovery.

Still, I favor the stereo because it seems to trigger the depth of my left & right hemispheres more, taking me back to my youth, & my headphones, & that first apartment, & those ginormous speakers, all of which such colorful ways I will never forget.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No further info to relate about this. I don't know how much lead time that a TV special usually needs. BUT since it almost May, it seems that an announcement should be made soon. If not, maybe the whole idea has been canceled. The deluxe box set turned out to be bigger than expected; so maybe Apple decided to concentrate on what matters---the MUSIC---and thought that they could skip the fluff of a TV special.

And the TV special was NOT the DVD in the box set. It would have been like the TV special marking the 50th anniversary arrival in the USA.

16. let him run...

Don't think there's been much of a mention of contributors to the book so far.

Fillmore Midwest likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

I think Giles said that they NEVER considered Carnival Of Light for this Pepper box set project (as opposed to considering it and then rejecting it). It never was in the running,

Is there a FUTURE project in development? I'd venture to say definitely not. I think Apple always has ideas of what to do. But I think they will see how the Pepper box set sells and how the reaction is. It's very possible that Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia agreed to a Pepper project, but still have no desire to do any further deluxe sets, regardless of how much the Pepper set sells.

And IF the Beatles/Apple do proceed with a future project, I also would guess it would be something more high profile and musically important than trying to get "Carnival Of Light" released. Very few people (outside of the the scholars here) care about that song. If Apple was going to spend their time and money on a future project, it would likely be a White Album box set, an Abbey Road box set, or (finally) a combined Let It Be CD/DVD box with the original movie plus extra footage.

I'd also say that there will NOT be a Magical Mystery Tour deluxe album set. The DVD/Blu-Ray/Double-EP box from a few years ago was done wonderfully---so I do NOT see them revisiting that as a project.

18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Arnie did you actually see the Giles Martin comments the other day or a week ago, whenever it was ? Was it a poster here who was at the listening party ? Can't even remember, it's in this thread somewhere.

Giles definitely said he hoped to do something really special with Carnival on another project. Which is why I asked if he was just blowing smoke, or something was in progress or planning stages..

So many of us including you & I ( for that matter) see the White album as the most likely follow up.

But if they didin't zig that way with deluxe White album. What would they zap into ? If it's not the W.A. in 2018 what would it be ?

1 Anthology remixed with bonus tracks ?

2. Revolver as the new Flinstones movie ?

What what what ? Beatles tea songs ? Beatles surf songs ? Beatles song Englebert in Japan, the kimono elevator album ?

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Agree re; MMT.
    Wouldn't mind them backtracking and them doing Revolver.
    Apple will know doubt do AHDN instead.:)

ODIrony likes this.
  20. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Echoes my thoughts more or less exactly. If the Sgt Pepper release does well, and there is not reason it shouldn't if the marketing attracts the masses, then Apple would be failing as a company not to follow it up with similar releases (White album, Abbey Road and Let It Be are the obvious choices which could support such projects). Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine already have recent releases that cover a lot of the ground that would be have to be mined and are less attractive as a result to both the compilers and buyers. Perhaps later when other projects have been tackled. Revolver and Rubber Soul are other obvious choices but from an anniversary point of view have missed their current windows.

The obscurities (Carnival of Light, Christmas Records etc.) perhaps have a place but I think that this may be part of something less high profile and aimed 'purely' at collectors. I'm sure that a nice coherent set could be devised but it will undoubtedly be a lower profile release aimed purely at those who will 'appreciate' it rather than an attempt at mass market appeal. I'm sure that is the reason COL has been left off the Pepper releases - they did not want the Revolution 9 critical reaction from those who will not understand the context of the recordings or want to understand. I guess patience remains the buzzword for those here who would love to hear these items in an appropriate package. Some of them will need careful handling and an appropriate cradling. The full story of the Rave event that COL was played at would be an interesting setting and the 10 minute Revolution would perhaps fit in with an overall concept (although I suspect this would find a home with a White album deluxe package ahead of this).

MsMaclen and Arnold Grove like this.
  21. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Would be awesome if they did Revolver early next year to fill in the long gap between Pepper (May-17) and White Album (Nov-18) anniversaries. A fan favorite with lots of opportunity for new stereo/surround remix and some outtakes!

Bowie Fett likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That would be fab.
    But. They just may backtrack after TWA/AR/LIB >>iE;
    Revolver/Rubber Soul..etc.

23. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Giles confirmed Carnival Of Light was considered. It was reported by superdeluxeedition.com

Question from SDE: Was Carnival of Light considered for the bonus material in the box?
    Giles Martin: Yes, it was. As was It’s Only A Northern Song, as well, actually. But it wasn’t really part of Pepper. It wasn’t part of the Sgt. Pepper recording. It’s a very different thing. I hope we can do something interesting with that at some point…but it wasn’t really part of the Sgt. Pepper album.

The Beatles / Remixed Sgt. Pepper unveiled at Abbey Road Studios

24. Arnold Grove

Thanks for the exact quote.

jl151080 likes this.
  25. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I believe more deluxe sets are coming and all won't follow the Pepper format. White Album and Abbey Road don't need a stereo remix but 5.1 would be of high interest. The latter would have less interesting outtakes. I can see the Revolver set being similar to Pepper, minus the documentary. A smaller Rubber Soul.

RonBaker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.