Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

The chorus seems to be missing vocal overdubs. In other words, I'm only hearing one pass of John, Paul, & George singing "We're Sgt. Pepper's...." rather than them being double-tracked.

Edit: Oops, Slane beat me to it! :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Yorick, jtiner, supermd and 2 others like this.
  2. Onder

Onder Senior Member

It is not full Take 9. Take 9 features double tracked vocals in the middle section (the vocal tracks were combined during the reduction mix). They didn't strictly double track their voices on the two tracks, the two vocal tracks feature slightly different vocal arrangements. What we can hear on this Take 9 is just ONE of the two vocal tracks which is altering the arrangement. (the two vocal tracks were spread in stereo on the YSS 1999 remix that's where from I know they're different).

Ondra

3. Ah sorry. My bad.

4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Technical term is stereosity

5. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Wish he would of told that story instead of joplin clubbing morrison in the head with a bottle..

6. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Can we really use YSS as a guide as they used pre-bounced tapes to produce their own very new remix as Master Martin has apparently done? I wish the team that created the YSS soundtrack had been given the go ahead to remix the entire sgt pepper - I think what they did was excellent.

supermd, RonBaker and Keith V like this.
  7. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Fan boy remixers are going to have a field day... and I congratulate them all!!! ROn

8. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's not the master take of WALHFMF though... so using this for any 'remix' would be a Frankenstein creation :hurl:

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Excellent. Thank you.

Onder likes this.
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Ready for a shocker? I think these mixes (Sgt. Pepper Take 9 and With A Little Help) sound AMAZING. This sound is exactly how I want the remixed album to sound...

11. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Thanks for that link!

BTW, did anyone else find themselves singing the missing vocals on With a Little Help from My Friends? I've always been dismissive of karaoke, but I sat here at my desk happily singing this one.

12. I had to force myself NOT to sing along actually.

fogalu, ODIrony and Tuco like this.
  13. slane

slane Forum Resident

Thankfully, I don't hear any evidence of 'demixing' on the preview tracks. 'Sgt Pepper' still appears to have the drums and 2 guitars all together. In fact, the whole track is quite mono-ish, with just the bass panned a bit to the right.

I think I can faintly hear Paul singing a guide (off-mic).

14. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I love the chatter at the end of Pepper lol. It's so perfect.

Paul the perfectionist saying they'll have another day for the vocal, John essentially saying "That one was great, can't we just use that?"

Love it.

15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

ya think? :D

forthlin and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  16. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Pretty cool hearing Pepper's without all the bells and whistles. Paul had such a strong voice.

Yorick, Mike Bass, raveoned and 2 others like this.
  17. At least we know where the "Free Now" lyric came from.

18. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Just throwing it out there that the "Sgt. Pepper (Take 9)" has a DR value of 9 while "With A Little Help From My Friends (Takes 1 & 2): has a DR value of 13. There's usually someone interested to see these numbers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR9 -0.00 dB -10.88 dB Beatles-Sgt.-Peppers-Lonely-Hearts-Club-Band-Take-9.mp3
    DR13 over -14.47 dB Beatles-With-a-Little-Help.mp3

Number of files: 2
    Official DR value: DR11

==============================================================================================

The outtakes sound great to these ears! Looking forward to more previews. Thanks to those who shared the links!

Lemon Curry likes this.
  19. Years ago, the first time I ever heard an instrumental take of the track (I don't remember the take number, unfortunately), I found myself signing along!

Tuco and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  20. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

There are a few tracks I've heard from the Pepper sessions over time, just them with guitars, bass and drums, and it shows how great a band they were in just playing those songs as-is.

I still love the version of "Good Morning, Good Morning" with no sound effects or extra instruments. Just them playing it through like the version on Anthology 2.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  21. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

So did I, and I found it very easy to sing in Ringo's key. The other three were always out of my limited vocal range. :)

Tuco likes this.
  22. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

With a Little Help from My Friends sounds gorgeous. The piano sounds great, the drums and guitar are clearer than on the original, and there's cowbells!

Take my money!

[​IMG]

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Unfortunately, the main album remix does feature demixing. Boo. This sounds amazing and is how the whole album could have sounded. Major bummer.

24. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I was thinking of the rock band take and adding on the lovely intro here, not Frankensteining the whole shebang :p. Ron

25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I agree. That version sounds more like a White Album track than a Pepper track. I've got A2 disk 2 in my car right now, reviewing the Pepper sessions ahead of next month's release. I set the volume to 11 every time for Good Morning.

I have high hopes that Giles has somehow recovered this energy in his new stereo mix. Please turn up that rhythm guitar!!

RonBaker, MsMaclen and raveoned like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.