Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

Would you fill us in a bit. I'm (ashamed to say I'm) not familiar with Fremmer, unless its from the movie, and if so, WTF?

2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Of course the above only describes what happens when a cross over is determining what goes to the subwoofer. In a 5.1 mix, the entire bass guitar track could be assigned to the .1 track.

moople72 and Bern like this.
  4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The same mix is more widely available on the 2009 Yellow Submarine. I never quite got the minor hype about the mono "...Northern Song" being "previously unreleased." The fake stereo version was a corruption of that mix, and the mono fold-down was essentially a restoration of that same mix, plus what amounted to two generations of copying. So we now hear that song in better quality, but it's not really a new mix we hadn't already heard.

voles, The Ole' Rocker and Keith V like this.
  5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Unlike the 5 full-range channels in a standard surround mix, the .1 channel (aka the LFE channel, or Low Frequency Effects channel) only goes up to 120Hz.

Rfreeman likes this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I guess we could say that the original version of Only A Northern Song is a demix of sorts :)

pantofis likes this.
  7. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Michael Fremer is a vinyl expert. He did great reviews of recent vinyl reissues stamped from 09 masters.

ODIrony likes this.
  8. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I can't wait to hear this release like many of you. I was exposed to the SPLHCB and friends single yesterday. Classic Vinyl channel made a intro statement that they were excited to play the remixed twofer. Sounded off to me, not knowing what they had as far as mix and what the stream quality is idk. The sound was too bass heavy and very uneven. I couldn't help but to notice a strange mix choice to have the floor tom fill very upfront on friends, almost cartoonish sounding from that experience. I hope that will not be the case when my sets arrive. I wonder if SiriusXM enhances their playback ? I hope this is the case.

9. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I don't think that is likely. The AES has surround mixing guidelines that suggests the sub should only carry freq at and around 80hz and lower.

Electric bass has significant content at around 400hz and 800hz. Subs, by their design, don't do a great job there.

Larry Geller and Rfreeman like this.
  10. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Looks like both out-takes of Fixing a Hole are from Regent sound

11. Cool. Imho There really aren't spoilers in music reviews. Only in books and movies :tiphat:

andybeau, Kwai Chang and NumberEight like this.
  12. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Alright, I listened to Sgt. Pepper and Friends and have to admit I'm underwhelmed. I agree with most of you that With a little help from my friends is the better remix of the two songs, but I vastly prefer the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack remixes of both songs. I guess, I just don't like Giles style of remixing. It seems instead of enjoying the freedom given to him by technology what Giles does is replicating the stereo mixes of his dad and then centering lead vocals and boosting bass and drums. The YS remixes of both songs are modern sounding concerning the placement of voices and instruments in the stereo panorama and I like that, since that is the one thing most Beatles stereo mixes are lacking. A wasted opportunity.

13. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

This!

In fact, I'd venture the opposite, the ambient stereo experience is the aim.

Derek Slazenger, MoonPool and ODIrony like this.
  14. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

You are correct of course. I should not use a computer early in the morning.

15. Fillmore Midwest

Fillmore Midwest Forum Resident

I would not judge anything from SiriusXM or terrestrial radio. In my experience, the quality of Sirius is variable and often quite poor, and yes, most radio stations compress and limit and goose the sound. Listen in headphones on iTunes or Spotify or YouTube to hear the new remixes. That should be much more accurate (though of course streaming is not as high quality as the CDs will be).

16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Puts Giles between a rock and a hard place though, right?
    Maybe they should have also included a re-imagined mix as well, just to be bold and check both boxes.

17. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

In this age of declining sales of physical media you are probably right, no financial benefit to recreate remaster Anthology in HD. I have seen bits and pieces of the Anthology interviews used in other programs and some look good, some horrible. Still Anthology is THE primary Fab comprehensive documentary out there approved by the Fabs so why not spiffy it up for the new century.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  18. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Michael Fremmer of Analog Planet. He uploaded a video of Giles Martin at the press first listen, but it got taken down

ODIrony likes this.
  19. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Well I agree to that. I thought you were suggesting a 'Cutting Edge' experience.

Well it may well be the same mix as on the 2009 Yellow Submarine CD but the booklet describes it as a 'unique mono mix' created for a shelved EP project. This suggest to me that it is not the mix that the fake stereo on the original Yellow Submarine was made from. However you may well be right!

I still think the Anthology CDs could be revisited and expanded. For example, why didn't they contain all the Decca audition and the all the Esher demos? Not to mention completing those live recordings etc. I think the market is there now if it wasn't then...

Dee Zee likes this.
  20. slane

slane Forum Resident

It is the same mix, there was only ever one final mono mix. That's why it was never done in stereo - it was too difficult to do again.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Appreciate the clarification

Mal likes this.
  22. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Yes, I agree that Giles is in an uncomfortable position concerning the remixes considering his dad's the one, who did the original mixes. For that reason alone I would have chosen a different remixer, though.

mpayan likes this.
  23. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Fair enough.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I really have pretty slight interest in the stereo mixes (I most often listen to the Rock Band versions these days). This is about the 5.1 and out takes for me.

Wingsfan2012 and Digital-G like this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The video is up now but the song samples have been muted.

raq0915 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.