Sgt. Pepper's Australian mono 70s re-press. How is this?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Yesterday I was bored. I bid on a 1970s Australian mono Sgt. Pepper's LP. I won, as I was the only bid. There is always a lot of discussion here about the U.K. and Japanese monos. What about other countries such as Australia?

Thanks. :)

eBay - Sgt. Pepper's.

p.s. I'm trying to inexpensively make up for the expensive U.K. mono that I won back in the spring, that turned out to be a piece of junk.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

My personal experience with Australian pressing of the Beatles, is a mixed bag. The vinyl it self seems to be ok, it's the tapes that are used that I question. I have "Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2" on the orange Parlophone label. The vinyl is great, but the sonics very from track to track. I also have the Australian "20 Year Anniversary Singles" box set. The sonic's on that is ok, but early tracks are stereo and the later singles are mono, go figure. As for as the "Pepper" you won, all in all I think you did good. Australian pressing are not known to be fold-downs, so I'm sure it's a true mono mix. Playing it is the only way to know the sonic's and the mix. Good luck!

3. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

What are the odds of that? I just bought one of these! :cool: I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail. I hope it sounds good.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've found some of the Aust. pressings to be made from UK stampers.

I have a 1978 Red Vinyl (stereo) Sgt. Pepper that sounds wonderful, and I checked the dead wax, and it is UK matrix numbers.

It's a UK cut, Aust pressed LP that sounds wonderful!!

Expect the Mono to be really good too, and check and see if it is also a UK cutting.

Jeff

5. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I just got mine and it sounds fantastic. It was in great shape. I don't think it had ever been played. I wish the vinyl was a little thicker, but that's about it on the downside.

Here are the run-out grooves as read counter-clockwise.

Side One:
    6 XEX 637-1 5

Side Two:
    9 XEX 638-1 2

6. Chris R

Un-f****ing believable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just walked in from outside, where the postal driver handed me a package from Australia.

This Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's LP is STEREO and yes folks, yet again, WARPED!!!!!! :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: The LP is so badly warped that my tone arms jumps. I took the album off after a nano second, so as to not damage my Rega tonearm and cartridge. At least the U.K. mono Pepper's that I won on eBay back in the spring plays, even though it too is warped.

I was soooo looking forward to finally getting a decent mono Sgt. Pepper's non North American pressing.

The LP jacket is non-gatefold and all bent to rat s**t as well. There is no insert.

The seller has been sent a stinging E-mail. I'll keep you posted.

The two mono South African Beatles LPs I won on eBay yesterday, Revolver and yet another Sgt. Pepper's better be STONE MINT when I receive them, or all hell will break loose.

Attached Files:

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Return it pronto! That's just not right!

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Another eBay seller that doesn't know $h!t about selling vinyl.

Be freaking ware. Those who don't buy much vinyl can't sell it properly. Watch out for that risk.

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Tell the seller to enjoy his first round of negative feedback.

10. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I can't believe the stuff people pull on eBay. Hope you give this guy what-for! I'll be looking forward to the update.

11. Chris R

It's nice to know there are still some honest people in the world.

I just got home to find one of the most apologetic E-mails I've ever received. I'm speechless.

Hello Chris

I am dreadfully sorry about the condition of the LP. I do not have a
    turntable and from my viewing the record seemed to be in fine
    condition. I listed the album with the assistance of a work colleague
    who advised me on how to describe the label (obviously incorrectly).

I have refunded the whole of the amount you paid me through Paypal.
    There is no need to return the LP - it is obviously worthless.

Please accept my apologies - it was not my intent to deceive you in any
    way. Let me know if there is any problem with the refund.

regards
    L****

The next E-mail to arrive at my inbox was a FULL REFUND from PayPal.

Dear Chris,

This email confirms that L**** has denied the C $38.00 you sent for
    an auction item and no money has been transferred from your PayPal account.

NOTE: ...If you funded this payment with a credit card, we have credited the amount back to your card.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

This seller will now receive very nice feedback from me. :thumbsup:

There are some good honest sellers on eBay and this gentleman is certainly one of them. :thumbsup:

Again, I'm speechless. :)

12. Sckott

Me too. That's above and beyond. You must have been very direct with him, and I would say that's also the most convenient thing to do; just refund and tell you to keep it because you really CAN'T use it (unless you hold it over a gas stove and bend it back into shape, but that's very hard to do)

I hope I never have the urge to pay good money for a used record on eBay anytime soon. I'm really fearful because of some sellers....

13. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

How are Australian pressings????

If this helps let me say that back in my LP days in the 60s, 70s and 80s I spent many many hours in Sydney shops seeking out US and UK pressings!

14. Sckott

Nah, some of them are very good, but depending on what you're getting, even the label (EMI seems to be 3/4 of Australia's music market) means a lot. There's a lot of Pink Floyd, even some Quads that come to mind, that are not only engineered well, but have a separate collectable 'reason' behind it. All very Aussie-specific releases.

Not all of Aussie's vinyl is bad. However, if I had the choice, I'd be going to the UK on holiday whenever I could!

15. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Wow, an uplifting eBay story. I never would have seen that one coming. I'm glad it worked out.

16. Chris R

Sckott, I kept a fairly nice but firm tone in the E-mail I sent.

Basically I said, "Hi. There is a problem with the LP you sent me. It is a stereo Sgt. Pepper's not mono and the vinyl is warped. I can't play it. What do we do?"

I gave him the opportunity to respond without going postal on him first. It worked. He apologized and immediately refunded my money.

I was prepared to suggest that he go out and find me a nice early mono pressing of the Australian With The Beatles, send it to me, and we call it even.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.