Sgt. Peppers: Did my bro give me a good one?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by avbuff, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident Thread Starter

My brother has once again gifted me with a few treasures (LPs, that is), and has promised me more in the very near future. Although I have a somewhat large selection of vinyl, I am still very much a novice from a collectors standpoint and must turn to you folks for some info.
    The record that stands out from the dozen he gave me, is The Beatles Sgt. Peppers. What's always so confusing for me is the fact that so many releases have multiple pressings and reissues/remasters in every country under the sun.
    This Peppers has the Capitol rainbow label SMAS-2653 (SMAS-1-2653)and is a signed Wally on side one. What is so exceptional about this album is that it is Mint in both cover and vinyl. My brother told me that he listened to this once, and judging by the condition, I believe him. Unfortunately no inserts - at least, he has yet to locate them.
    Am I correct in assuming that this is one of the first runs? (Is that the correct terminology?)
    Another of the dozen is Hendrix's Axis in just as pristine condition.
    Next week, he's giving me Tull's first four albums. Can't wait to play with the Stand Up album!

2141 and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  2. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Mmm, I'm definitely jealous of this one. I've got two copies of this LP, neither are in even close to decent shape. I hope you enjoy yours! :thumbsup:

3. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

You have a US copy of Pepper. Sounds like an 80s pressing. Nothing special.

If you want to hear something really cool then check out a UK mono issue.

Don't waste your time with the US pressings. They all suck...except the mono "Magical Mystery Tour". You can do a search for more Beatles stuff...keep you awake for hours.

4. If that Hendrix is a first pressing, that's a great find! It's tough to find first pressings of that LP in decent shape.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hey, quit being a buzzkill! :wave:

I did the same to someone in another thread about his US Pepper, ruined his day. NONE of them sound any good though.....

At any rate, AVBUFF, enjoy your records; you have a cool brother!

sortvinyl, 2141, xilef regnu and 8 others like this.
  6. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

From a short check at discogs.com this looks like the 1967 US first pressing (judging from the cat-no it is) IF in MONO .
    Wally means Wally Traugott and is a respectable mastering pro !

compare = http://www.discogs.com/release/1240567

check esp. the carvings on each side :

do they read MAS-X-1 and MAS-X-2 with -2563 following ?

If in Stereo could as well be the US first pressing -
    same happend with The Stones "Their Satanic Majesty Request" DECCA TXS-103 both availabe in Mono and in Stereo in 1967 !

Later pressing should read Apple or EMI/Parlophone - Capitol was the Us Label - but i have to do some ore research oin that matter. Later reisues do have a yellow top with STEREO written on it on the front cover - look like that = http://www.discogs.com/release/525662 but also have the cat.no SMAS-2563

more info on later issues :

Variations with this catalog number;
    Black with color band: 1967
    Lime green label: 1969
    Orange label: 1976
    Purple label with large Capitol logo: 1978
    Black label with print in colorband: 1983

7. avbuff

Naw, can't kill this buzz.
    For me, it's not just how it sounds, it's the fact that I'm holding a piece of history in my hands. It's this whole social, political, spiritual kinda thing - hard to explain, but thanks, I do enjoy my records, and yes, I do have a very cool brother.

Not Mono, no Xs in the code. SMAS-1 & SMAS-2, and a bizillion other markings in the wax.
    Thanks for the link to discogs, BVT, this is a handy reference for future use.

Steve

xilef regnu likes this.
  8. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

:laugh:

I remember my mom bought me some Beatles vinyl from Tower in the early 90s: "Please Please Me", "Pepper", "Abbey Road", and "Let It Be". IIRC, PPM and Pepper were purple label "Wally" masterings. I was in heaven.

avbuff: Enjoy the records!

9. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

If it has wally inscribed, it could'nt be an original 1967 copy, could it? I don't think wally, or anyone else inscribed initials in the deadwax in 1967.

10. avbuff

You may be correct, and no, I do not have an original. Spent some time researching, and came across this bit of info:

http://heroinc.0catch.com/capitol/capitol2.html

Looks as if I now own a '68/'69 reissue, which is cool, too. I do have a couple pre-Pepper Beatles on Capitol Mono, and the numbers in the deadwax are machine stamped. No handwritten scribbles whatsoever. Must be the birth of signing the wax was just post-'67
    DjBryan posted in another Thread that he recently picked up an Apple Label Pepper, and similar advice was posted on that thread: "ANY UK Parlophone copy in decent shape will sound better." (courtesy of John Carsell)
    So, there you have it. Thanks to all for your input, including all you wicked buzzkillers!

11. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

Jason, the buzzkiller, lol. Good thing we know you mean no meanness.

The first batch of records that I ever bought special polylined inner sleeves for were the early 80's US Beatles records. Granted, they may not compare sonically to the UK pressings from the 60's and 70's (except for MMT mono), but back then, they sounded special to me.

Enjoy, avbuff!

12. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

avbuff,

The only way we could tell you with certainty which pressing you have is if you write the entire matrix of side one. If it has "wally" in the matrix it's from the 83-87 period which would explain the mint condition. The CD came in June 1987.

Does your front cover (on top) have a yellow band with the word "STEREO"? If white, you have an 80s cover.

13. Bamjam

Bamjam Forum Resident

My MAS 2653 copy...

> on the label says MAS 2653 with the following codes underneath: [MAS-X-1-2653] on Side 1 and [MAS-X-2-2653] on Side 2

> on the Side 1 wax: (stamped) MAS (written) 1 - 2653 - G5 #2 (triangle, with the I AM inside the triangle)

> on the Side 1 wax: (written) MAS 2 - 2653 - F1 #3 (triangle, with I AM inside the triangle)

I'm particularly curious about that cryptic triangle...

14. avbuff

OK Ben,

Here goes- all inscription, machine pressed and written in deadwax side one:

Mastered By Capitol, Wally, SPO-1 (or l), AL-SP, SMAS-1-2653, F-65, Q (A or O) B-22932 - F65, ^17019

Front cover does have the white band, no indication of "Stereo"

So, from original to 80's in 12 posts. Gads, you guys are killin' me ;)

Thanx

Did I tell ya about the White Album he gave me? :agree:

tinnox and Vivacious99 like this.
  15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

100 % genuine 83-87 USA Sgt. Pepper Stereo.

Stephen J likes this.
  16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

There are many threads on this board about the origin of "IAM." Just type "IAM" in the Search function and go to town with that.

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'll save you time. The I AM triangle stands for the International Association of Machinists. Your record was pressed at Capitol's Scranton, PA factory.

18. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

You are right- if its a Wally it is NOT an original '67 pressing. I don't think Wally was cutting vinyl in '67 (not sure exactly when he began cutting- I would guess early 70s)

-Aaron

19. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

...and should sound 100% better than a 60's era pressing!:edthumbs:

fluffskul likes this.
  20. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Mr. Traugott, from what I've read, began at Capitol around 1965-66. But he didn't sign his lacquers until 1973-74. Right around the time the stamped, curved "MASTERED BY CAPITOL" notice first appeared on deadwax of Capitol-mastered lacquers.

21. does the same go for a white band on the top and bottom?

22. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

I recently got a sealed Wally Rainbow Peppers. It's the best American Peppers I've heard. Sounds almost as good as my Parlophone, but is dead quiet. Has anyone else heard this one?

23. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I was given a Capitol mono Pepper on Saturday. I only took it because I wanted to hear for myself how bad genuine 60's Capitol pressings can be. Wow! What a sonic turd. Totally muddy and rolled off in the high end. Nothing like a UK Parlophone. I decided to check it against my mono MMT, which sounded wonderful as expected. When people say that MMT mono is the only good sounding Capitol Beatles album, believe them.

24. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

I had a Mono Capitol Peppers and got rid of it fast. This stereo Wally cut sounds surprisingly good though.

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The pressing you have actually sounds better than the US original pressings I have heard. The original Capitol rainbow labels sounded muddy to these ears. Treasure it with love. Almost as good as a UK pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.