Sgt. Pepper's Dismissed Tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Considering that they were into year five of their professional signed recording career at that point, and it’s astounding.

2. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Agreed totally.
    And about the guitar solo, when compiling every single one for a video project it really stood out to me as one of the best guitar solos they ever did. Absolutely fantastic little bit.

I love all of these descriptions. And yes, a sonic virtual reality sums up Kite perfectly. This comment rules.

3. Bailemor99

Bailemor99 Forum Resident

I agree with you on pretty much all of these.

When I'm Sixty-Four is definitely my least favorite song on the album (probably because it feels somewhat tonally off compared to the rest of the album, though I can't think of another album it would have worked better on), but I still like it a lot! I think the reason why the transition from WYWY is so great is because even though those two songs are so different in mood and vibe, they are in the same key (C#) which helps to add a kind of coherence between them.

4. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

You nailed it for me right here, perfectly. I think I might give it a spin . . . !

5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I had a Eastern Humanities teacher in college that would play sitar music with zero melody to warm up the class! The stuff he played made Within You Without You sound like a pop song :).

6. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I've always considered Getting Better, Good Morning, and Lovely Rita pretty much filler, and they're all better than When I'm 64.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I suppose. It doesn't have to be "rock," it just had to be "Beatles." And maybe have more of a melody/chord progression. I suppose it's still better than "Northern Song" or "Blue Jay Way." George really didn't have a good 1967.

8. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Fixing a Hole has grown over the years to being arguably my favorite song on the album. (A Day in the Life is hard to top as a more ambitious work of art, though.)

Hearing Paul sing it live, solo on piano, was one of the highlights of that concert and of my concert going career.

9. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

All are great songs. When I'm Sixty-Four is one of 'the' best songs ever, never mind I'm 64.

sekaer, Tord, Rich C and 3 others like this.
  10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Oh, man, I love Blue Jay as well. Forgot about the song.

GreenFuz likes this.
  11. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Didn't Yoko write all the songs on Pepper and also those other ones your referring too as well? Meaning if you got rid of one Yoko song they would all still be Yoko songs .So what's the difference?

MitchLT likes this.
  12. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I...
    what?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I like them all except Within You which needed the remix badly so it's better than it used to be.
    But I actually like both Northern Song and It's All Too Much far more than Within You.

14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yeah, "Fixing A Hole" ain't goin' anywhere- that is one of George's best solos! Hell, it's only one of two tracks on the entire album where George played the solo (the "Pepper Reprise" being the other)

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The critics of the album focus on the relative (compared to Revolver) weakness of the individual tracks. I agree the tracks are weaker, but Sgt. Pepper is a complete work meant to be listened to as such. A classic example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Like the 2011 NBA champion Dallas Mavericks.

16. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Yes, Pepper's lows are lower, but I also think Pepper's highs are higher (besides I'm Only Sleeping and Tomorrow Never Knows), and that's why I like the album more.

Sgt. Pepper (title track) and WALHFMF are worse than anything on Revolver imo, and it's got a more consistent sound. Not a great way to start the album.
    The title track has so much potential, but seriously lacks the oomph necessary to pull it off. Doesn't matter whether I'm listening to the 2009 stereo, original mono, 2017 mono, 2017 stereo or Yellow Submarine mix. The reprisal is incredible though.

17. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

"Fixing A Hole" is part of my Top 3 Pepper's songs: "Getting Better", "Hole" and "She's Leaving Home" is my Pepper's Suite. It's perfect.

18. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Off-topic (because I'm sure people wouldn't be happy with me making a thread about it), but does anyone know where I can find a list of the differences between the 2017 and 2009 stereo mixes of the album?

19. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I think it’s a bit pointless messing with perfection...even though I’m a big fan of the remix.

Sgt. Pepper, is the greatest album of all time. No doubt about that from where I’m sitting.

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I’ve always hated Within You Without You. I still remember the first time I heard it playing my newly bought copy on my tiny, tinny plastic record player as a kid. I took an immediate dislike to it.

With that being said, this song adds an uniqueness to the album. It’s one of its distinctive flavors that contributes to the revolutionary listening experience of Pepper. I can’t imagine it without it much like Revolution 9 from the White Album.

Sgt Pepper is not my personal favorite Beatles Album but I still think it’s their strongest record. Time may have dimmed its impact but we’re still talking about it 50 years later.

Archguy likes this.
  21. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Very true. Little-known fact is that the first time Paul died, Yoko took his place in a kind of reverse drag, but eventually got tired of wearing platform shoes so retired to songwriting. The only album she didn't write was "Yellow Submarine" because she was offended by the title.

Yep. Rubber Soul is my personal favorite, but it's not the towering achievement that Pepper is.

apesfan and ZiltoidtheOmniscient like this.
  22. peerke

peerke Senior Member

I could live happily ever after without hearing 'Good Morning Good Morning' one more time.

DesertIslander and angelees like this.
  23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

The thing with the 'granny music' is, at the time anyway (I'm talking from release through the '70s), I can remember my friends and I getting a huge kick out of these tunes. We always took them to be mocking the old generation. The instrumentation made us laugh. Made it all fit.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Getting Better
    Fixing a Hole
    Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite
    Within You Without You
    When I'm Sixty-Four
    Lovely Rita
    Good Morning

...are all the weaker songs which is why the album disappoints many. Not used to seeing so many weakish songs on a fab 4 album. The Magical Mystery Tour album was better (but it wasn't really an album).
    In the end, it's a fun listen every 10 years or so.

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I love all of these tracks. Sgt. Pepper is probably my favorite album of all-time...perhaps because it was the first rock album I ever got, but I love it from beginning to end. I wouldn’t subtract anything, I wouldn’t add anything. It’s perfect as is IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.