Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes.

Also: When it comes to psychedelics, it is only possible to work on ONE project at a time. ... ;)

deany76, theMess, AidanB and 6 others like this.
  2. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

This!
    These two tracks were never going to be on the album. If they want to do something for "50 years ago today " do a 5.1 mix blu ray and put some out takes on it.

Peace and love✌

Dee Zee, goodiesguy, tedhead and 6 others like this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

5.1 blu ray audio :cheers:

vonwegen, jlf, longaway and 12 others like this.
  4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

What a dumb a** idea, changing one of the most iconic and revered albums 50 years later.
    An all analog LP reissue or a 5.1 release is fine.

5. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Such an iconic album, no wonder some are very worried. I am at least open to hearing it first.

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Here's the story...

50 years on: the real Sgt Pepper

It is one of popular music’s seminal albums, has sold more than 32m copies around the world and marked the Beatles’ first embrace of psychedelic culture.

The 50th anniversary of the release of Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band this June will be marked with a worldwide re-release — and for fans it will mean at last hearing the album as the band had intended it to sound.

In 1967 the record label EMI poached what John Lennon and Paul McCartney believed to be two of their best songs from the album and released them as a double A-side single, something George Martin, their producer, later described as “a truly terrible mistake”.

The Beatles had wanted Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane as showcase tracks on Sgt Pepper, their eighth album.

Now, according to sources, Apple Corps, the Beatles’ company, has scored a victory: the anniversary relaunch on June 1 will reinstate the tracks, just as Lennon and McCartney had intended.

Although the songs were credited to both Beatles, Lennon wrote Strawberry Fields and McCartney wrote Penny Lane.

McCartney has told friends: “We were then moving away from screaming girls’ gigs where no one could hear anything in the concert halls any more and were working on Sgt Pepper.

“John wrote this absolutely amazing song, Strawberry Fields Forever, for the new album and I was frankly a bit jealous, so I went home and wrote Penny Lane. It worked and we wanted them as the main tracks on Sgt Pepper.”

It is said that one in five British households still have a vinyl copy of Sgt Pepper.

Although details of the re-release are being kept secret, it is understood that all parties involved have co-operated fully, including McCartney, Ringo Starr and Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, the widows of John Lennon and George Harrison.

Dan Cairns, rock critic of The Sunday Times, said: “Many Beatles fans have added the two tracks to their own Sgt Pepper playlist, which allows you to hear the album as it so nearly ended up being — so it’s nice to hear that Apple are finally catching up.”

50 years on: the real Sgt Pepper

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I understand the history of the 2 tracks.
    I just wondered if the two songs had tentively been considered for inclusion on the finished product.

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Apple never announces anything this far ahead. Six weeks out is the usual, but one or two archival releases were announced about eight weeks out. This is how it works. The problem with that is April Fool's Day is eight weeks out from any 1 June roll out. Oh my! No one will believe the presser if it's released that day. I hope with all my heart this report is not the real deal. Adding SFF and Penny Lane to the LP. That's it? Why not add Paperback Writer and Rain to Revolver? Or Hey Jude and Revolution to The White Album? Totally inane, unless this is just PART of the plan. How about a second disc with outtakes and demos? Now, we're talking. Adding a stand-alone single to the album seems short sighted at best. Ron

PS What's this malarky that John and Paul so intended these tracks to be on the album? They were the first three songs recorded for their next project, along with When I'm Sixty-Four, but once George Martin/EMI/Capitol decided a new single was needed he culled the best two tracks from the three already recorded. At THAT point, there was no further discussion that they would also be part of the next album. And that's it.

Mike Foley, joeriz, vonwegen and 21 others like this.
  9. Beaneydave

The next move is to reissue all the albums with the singles from the same time period on them as bonus tracks no doubt!

Peace and love✌

Upsiditus and Mr. D like this.
  10. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

With its secondary focus on the arc of Beatles' album sales - culminating in the triumph that was Sgt. Pepper - the whole of Ron Howard's Eight Days A Week appears, in hindsight, to have been a pitch for this new release...

11. alexpop

This is going to give the album more kudos now from the Pepper haters/naysayers.
    SFF+A Day In The Life

Impressive, huh????

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Nothing has been announced yet, so there's no need to get worked up (yet).

Whatever is forthcoming will definitely please many people; others though may be disappointed that Apple didn't give us everything.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The madness has been "in progress" for years!;) Actually the exercise of "Where to include SFF/PL on Pepper" has been done on these boards so many times I think Mr. Hoffman should send an invoice to Apple for "research." :)

Side note: Anyone else think this info was supposed to be kept under wraps until the deluxe FITD hits the streets?

vonwegen, Lewisboogie and alexpop like this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:doh:

15. alexpop

Tell that to Magic Alex. :)

16. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It does, but isn't that the intention.

17. Beaneydave

He's no longer with us !:(

Wingsfan2012 and alexpop like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Yes. This is how Apple works. And I alluded to this in the other Pepper thread about a week ago:

19. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

My understanding is that when originally recorded - yes (Paul and John had a vague idea of a themed album about their childhood in Liverpool); as of the single release - no.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Why not add "Northern Song" since George should have gotten two songs on the album?

Cant wait for them to issue "Pet Sounds"with "GGood Vibrations" included, oh cause that's what Brian really planned it just took 50 years for him to decide to correct it.

21. alexpop

Posts are accumulating fast and furious on this thread.

Getting Better, huh? :)

22. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

I don't think I will buy this. If I wanted Pepper with the PL/SF single tacked on I would just take my CD's and burn my own monstrosity. "Bonus Tracks" of something we all already have owned a hundred tmes.

23. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Well, this 50-years-later move puts Sgt. Pepper back at #1 greatest album of all time - depending, of course, exactly where they place 'SFF/PL' within or without the album.

alexpop likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

"Getting Closer, My Salamander..." :whistle:

(BUT as with Apple, nothing is set in stone until the stone appears)

25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Probably a good reason it jogs your memory. From the "Fan-created albums" thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.