Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary editions to be released May 26, 2017* Anticipation Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JOSERENATO, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I think , Mr Grove, this is part of the Capitol C P and a slow build up to the reissue of " Driving Rain"
    ;)

Peace and love✌

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'm taking bets now as to whether this thread will top the 300-page mark by June 1st.

In fact I'm taking bets as to whether it'll reach the 300-page mark before the official press release about what this release will actually contain gets posted.

3. helter

helter Forum Resident

It's not April 1st?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Hopefully, this will be the first of many deluxe releases. If this is happening, there will be more than one configuration. A single disc . . . a deluxe with the original album, 50th version, 5.1, book, a bonus disc with demos, etc and . . . "Carnival of Light" (perfect time, yes?).

If the singles are included in the 50th version, I always thought they'd only work if "Strawberry Fields" followed "Lucy" and "Penny Lane" preceded "Sixty-Four."

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

The article is amusing. The vague details only indicate that the re-release will includes the SFF / Penny Lane tracks.

"Now, according to sources, Apple Corps, the Beatles’ company, has scored a victory: the anniversary relaunch on June 1 will reinstate the tracks, just as Lennon and McCartney had intended."

Victory? Against who? o_O

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Gave the album the kiss of life( not that it needed it imo).

notesfrom likes this.
  7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Paul would have to pay the others off handsomely for them to release that. Could happen one day.

8. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I'm betting on 300 pages by the end of the day!!;)

Peace and love✌

9. alexpop

GM always felt they should be included.
    At least from his 1980s mindset/onwards.

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It might be included too. Patience...

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I've often brought up this point when discussions come up about sequencing SFF/PL into the album; the aural texture of these two tracks is completely different from those of the album itself. For starters, the percussion-on the single-has a far more fluid sound than the more direct "hardness" of the album.

12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Well, it wouldn't be unprecedented for Apple to do this.
    They did the exact same thing with 1+ (remixed, with a bonus disc albeit a DVD in that case).
    So reissuing Pepper with a bonus disc to boost sales would follow a previous strategy.

13. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Exactly. After setting the standard for decades, now they're gonna be just like everybody else. If they can do this to Sgt. Pepper's, they can do it to any album. And probably will. This is a bad precedent.

14. Further

Further Forum Resident

This could be good as an alternate version, so long as it doesn't replace the original in the catalog, which I can't see happening. Still, it does seem odd to mess with a perfect album by adding bonus tracks, especially songs we've already had forever. It can't be as simple as that, so a remix must be involved to sell it. If it has to be done this way, probably better to have the original on one disc and the alternate mix/bonus tracks on the other.

However, one thing I would definitely be in for would be a nice powerful surround mix. I still remember the first time I played the DVD-A of Love and how blown away I was with the sound. Imagine how a complete Sgt. Pepper's would sound!

15. Muzyck

So who was holding Apple from re-releasing before with the two tracks? Apple?

16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Maybe it won't be the previously-released version of the songs?

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Against Neil Aspinall, who is likely rolling in his grave and muttering the words: "Too obvious." :D

18. alexpop

Some things take time.
    Like...huh ...Fifty years time.
    Pity !!!

19. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Agreed. Only A Northern Song was recorded during the Pepper sessions, and if any bonus material is included, it belongs there, too.

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

well i don't have a Sgt. Pepper Tote bag, so there's is always the possibility Apple wants to celebrate the 50th in a Big way, hope it's "Coming Soon"...

21. alexpop

Typical APPLE move. :)

22. Muzyck

I am sure it would be the greatest new discovery since "12 bar Original" ;)

23. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

I bought the Love 5.1 mix this week and would be thrilled if they offered another 5.1 mix on this release - regardless of whether or not additional tracks are added.

I'd find it interesting if there were alternate versions of tracks released on a separate disc - like a stereo version of 'She's Leaving Home' in its higher pitch / faster speed.

AZRunner likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Without checking day by day recording sessions I am sure you are right. The decision to release SFF and PL must have been made long before Sgt P was finalised. I guess they could have put them on but at that time Parlophone had not issued a Beatles album in the UK with previously released singles. Sgt P is about 40 minutes long so I guess you could squeeze them in. Aftermath was over 50 minutes long.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. alexpop

Maybe Thom Yorke will appreciate it now.

forthlin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.