SH Spotlight SH Forum members: Are your speakers in correct phase?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Audiophile Mastering Your Host

Turn your amp around to the back, connect left speaker to "left" as marked. When you sit in the sweet spot, the left speaker is on your actual left.
  2. charlie W

charlie W Forum Resident

The 1st Stereophile test CD has a pink noise track recorded both in stereo and mono that I find useful to check phasing.
  3. Emberglow

Emberglow Well-Known Member

I learned many years ago that an amplifier must never be powered on "open circuit", i.e. without a load. Whenever I have to disconnect speakers, I always make sure that the amplifier is powered down. Does anyone know if this is still necessary with solid-state amps or is it just a habit carried over from using valve amps?
  4. Steve Hoffman

Always necessary, just make a habit of it and you'll never blow an amp up.
  5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

As you said, I made it a habit a long time ago whenever I have to do any plugging/unplugging into the amp (or CD player, turntable, etc.) I always power off everything.
  6. My amp is powered up 24/7 so I'm grateful it has a mute switch as it allows me to plug/unplug cables without turning the amp off.
  7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the mute switch is going to help if you accidently cross two speaker wires and your amp does not have a short circuit cut off ability.
  8. mindblanking

mindblanking Forum Resident

Very necessary. Trust me.
  9. That is true but I always check connections carefully before I turn off the mute switch. :)
    stereoptic likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Most audiophile speakers are not dedicated, no. The ones that are would mention it in the instructions.
    marcfeld69 likes this.