SH Forums experts, HELP! What pressing plant is this?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnBlair, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Dang, now I wish I had not ditched that David Box single so I could look at the 45 in person!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Who is David Box?

3. JohnBlair

JohnBlair Well-Known Member Thread Starter

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Were these the last singles issued by Candix?

5. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Yes they were.

6. Mr Bass

That might be a big clue. It certainly provides a reason why there doesn't seem to be any more with that symbol.

7. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

We're absolutely not sure that only these 3 releases had this symbol: we're only sure that only these 3 Candix releases had this symbol.

8. Mr Bass

I understand but there is no positive evidence for a 4th record from anyone else with that symbol either? So unless/until there is positive evidence for a non Candix issue, it is worth using that assumption to see where it leads. Was anyone hired at Candix in that time period or was the production of the records handled differently? Obviously the company was folding up at the time so they might have improvised something different with these 3 records.

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

It appears that there were 41 singles released by Candix until they shut their doors in 1964.

Was there ever an LP or Cd compilation? Who owns the Candix masters now?

10. Mr Bass

According to 45cat all three of these records seem to be affiliated with someone called JoEd Productions (probably the owners of JoEd Records). Candix 340 actually came out on JoEd Records first I believe (JoEd 714).

Page link
    Curtis Byrd And The Joe-Rag Singers - Pretty Woman »

Does anyone have an original JoEd 45?

Who owns the Candix masters now? @ stereoguy Some BB fan who did research says that Candix Records never filed for bankruptcy but simply let the corporation lapse by not filing CA paperwork. Was there any litigation to get the rights back by the various acts? I can't find any mention but it could be there was.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Amsler.

12. STEPHEN McPARLAND

STEPHEN McPARLAND New Member

Okay, I'm the guy who started the Candix Records "pressing plant symbol" hunt which I had my good friend John Blair initiate. I'm now signed up, so I will try and answer any further questions.
    The purpose of this is a book I am working on ABOUT Candix Records - actually Candix Enterprises, Inc.
    The book is currently titled THE CANDIX STORY - Hollywood Hits And Misses.
    The symbol in question appeared on the LAST three Candix singles - 339, 340 and 341 being David Box, Curtis Byrd and Dean Beard releases.
    Prior to these releases, from 332, Candix was using Alco Research And Engineering. In fact, the David Box single (339) was issued initially as pressed by Alco on the standard black label, coloured logo and silver lettering Candix label. Apparently, some interest must have ensued in the single and a second pressing was called for. Apparently, Alco must have refused to press more due, most likely, to unpaid bills. This was a common theme in the Candix story - the label was under-financed and changed pressing plants at least for times in its two year of operation.
    As a result, another pressing facility was sought and found and this is the facility with the symbol as previously discussed. All three singles - 339, 340 and 341 bear the symbol in the dead wax together with the master-matrix numbers and what appears to be a "H" scratched into the wax, although it could be anything.
    In addition, all three singles were pressed with YELLOW labels and black lettering, retaining the same label design as the black label copies (and earlier maroon coloured copies). The alphanumeric code used for the master-matrix numbers also changed with this new set of pressings. For example, the David Box single by Alco featured CD-DB-339-A/CD-DB-339-A, whereas the yellow label featured C-DB-101/C-DB-102 (the "DB" denoting David Box). A similarly styled code was used for 340 and 341.
    So the question still remains, does anyone out there recognise the symbol?

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Mr Bass

Hi, Mr McFarlnd,

Did you see my post #35? At Cat45 they list these three records as affiliated with JoEd Productions. There was a JoEd Record Co from Lubbock TX which also issued Candix 340. So the question I have is does anyone have a JoEd record to see what is in the deadwax?

Stefano G. likes this.
  14. STEPHEN McPARLAND

Thanks for your interest. The Joed connection is a dead end of sorts in that that is where the connection with Candix began. Joed/Ted Groebl leased the masters of David Box to Candix and the Curtis Byrd (340) was a bonus, as was Dean Beard (341), a subsequent deal to the deal!
    After the lease agreement, everything was in the hands of Candix.
    An addendum to this is that Candix 339 - David Box - was "bootlegged" by someone calling themselves "Guy Erlin". Both sides were released on the Vibrant label (with an LA post office box address) under Erlin's name and reputedly Erlin even went around some radio stations plugging "his" record.
    The most interesting aspect of this is that the Vibrant pressings use the same master plates as the Candix yellow label single with one exception - the addition of VIB 666 and VIB 667 (the catalogue number) etched into the dead wax area upside down to the same etchings as those that appear on the Candix release.
    Apparently the FBI became involved, but my overtures to the Bureau produced little results because even under the FOI Act, any info is not available unless I can prove Erlin is dead, etc.

Mr Bass likes this.
  15. Mr Bass

If you go to the link I provide in post 35 you will see that the record on the 340 yellow promo label (Curtis Byrd) preserves the CD- prefix; in this case CD-CB-101. Are you saying that the label code and the matrix code are different?

16. STEPHEN McPARLAND

The code on the label and etched in the wax are the same - CD-CB-101 and CD-CB-102.
    This single was a Candix only release, done by Candix for Candix.

17. JohnBlair

JohnBlair Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a copy of "Little Lonely Surfer Girl" by David Box on the Joed label. The deadwax area offers no additional clues.

18. Mr Bass

OK good to know. However that is a Zenith Production not a JoEd Production as the 3 Candix 45s in question are.

19. Mr Bass

Ok, thanks for the details. Then we are back to my statement in post #33 that since Candix was on the ropes and since they frequently had to run somewhere else because of nonpayment to vendors, this is the case here.

There doesn't seem to have been an official bankruptcy but were there creditors who sued Candix for nonpayment or filed some action when they went bellyup? Candix did control some fairly valuable material after all. I know the BB complained about royalty non-payment but as you note Candix were stiffing all kinds of businesses. I wonder if this last cutting engineer/ pressing plant got paid? It must have been very small (perhaps only doing business promotional or vanity projects) and naive or desperate not to know about Candix' history. Or they were not in LA but somewhere close to it.

Given all these issues you may be dealing with a "Rosebud" type situation.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  20. stereoguy

Stephen,

It is great to see you here. I have read several of your books, and they are just fantastic.
    But it is really too bad that several are out of print...can these be offered digitally at least?
    The Beach Party Movies book was just superb........and when will someone find a 16mm print of "Daytona Beach Weekend"?

Anyway, on Candix Records. I think it is amazing that you are writing a book about this small but famous label.

A couple of questions for you if you dont mind:

Was there ever a compilation LP or Cd of Candix 45s?
    As for The Beach Boys "Surfin", was that just leased to Capitol, or did Capitol buy it outright?
    Who owns the Candix catalog now?

Thanks for being part of the forum.

Stefano G. likes this.
  21. STEPHEN McPARLAND

Okay, a couple of answerrs here:
    #1 Candix did not file banruptcy, the Dix brothers just let the business lapse.
    #2 With very little paperwok still surviving, it seems that Candix did not really own anything as far as masters are concerned.
    They most likely paid for some sessions, took copyright on a number of songs and leased or simply released masters brought in.
    From personal interviews with at least two artists - the Frogmen and the Moongooners, NO contracts were ever signed between them and the label. Likewise with the Beach Boys, their two songs being still owned by Bruce Morgan, the son of Hite and Dorinda Morgan.
    I once (years ago) had a copy of a letter from Hite Morgan to Capitol Records giving them to permission to use Surfin' on the Beach Boys' SURFIN' SAFARI album. Of course, I can no longer find said letter!
    There have been no LP or CD compilation of Candix material released, and apart from the Beach Boys, it is probably open season on re-releasing the product. There has been a Lou Rawls CD and a Faye Reis digital collection of recent vintage that includes their Candix sides.
    Essentially, there is NO catalogue to own as it is just "out there."
    As regards my books, they can be found at
    CMusic Books - Payhip » in a digital format.
    Hard copies available are listed on my website at cmusicbooks »

22. Mr Bass

Well I guess they may have stiffed their vendors but they went easy on the acts and didn't try to swindle them.

Sorry we haven't furthered your search but I fear by the time the JoEd Production singles were released by Candix they were running on fumes. I assume as above they had to get a very small operation to get these cut and pressed. Ant them probably didn't pay them.

You might take a high resolution shot of these 3 Candix 45s assuming you have copies and PM @W.B. by clicking on your Inbox as suggested by Mr Hoffman. Sometimes he can recognize label typesetting or lead-in groove spacing.

23. That is a familiar Illuminati symbol that foretells their involvement with the music industry.

If you look more carefully there is a square that symbolizes a record, there is a heart on the record and a large nail piercing through the record and the heart...

The horizontal line at the bottom symbolizes an 'end' and the other line that goes slightly on the right could be a 'bleeding'.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  24. stereoguy

Steve: Thank you so very much for your post. I will be buying more of your books, that is for sure.

25. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Gordon Johnson and Steve Hoffman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.