"Shaft" has been EMASCULATED!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Cellar, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member Thread Starter

The black private dick has been EMASCULATED!

After going to some trouble and expense to get a copy of the remastered "Shaft" on Stax, I find out that . . . well, I'll let the note on the back of the CD speak for itself:

"*Track 14 has been cut and faded out in fact of the multimedia-track."

The prose is somewhat ungainly, but you get the idea.

I knew I should have asked here first before buying. Stupid, stupid me. The only thing I can be grateful for is that I didn't order a copy of the remastered "Black Moses," which turns out to be edited down to a single disc.

WTF were they thinking? Who would want a remaster that contains less than the original album? :realmad:

So, what's the best version of these albums on CD? Are the regular CDs any good?

2. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The original CD contains 15 tracks and runs 69:33. Song 14 is "Do Your Thing" and runs 19:50. What is it chopped to on the remaster?

I have nothing else to compare the sound to. I guess I'll be avoiding the remaster though. :sigh:

3. The Cellar

"Do Your Thing" is cut down to 4:40. It just fades out. Unbelievable.

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

That is incredible. Who the hell plays any of that multimedia b*****t anyway? If I want a DVD, I'l buy a DVD.

Reminds me of paying $60 for the KING RHYTHM & BLUES BOX SET. The fourth disc was a boring convention-type speech by the proprietor of the label--as if I wanted to pay an extra $15 for that. What, they couldn't provide a transcript in the booklet?

5. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

It's a shame. The original Do Your Thing worked up slowly to a palpably sexual peak. What you've got instead is premature eshaftulation. That ain't right. I'll keep my original Shaft CD-it's great.

But out of curiosity, how does the remaster sound in comparison to the original CD release?

6. The Cellar

I haven't heard the original CD. If that's the only other CD version, then it wins by default.

As for this remaster, I've listened to it only once, but I thought it sounded fine. It seems like a big missed opportunity for a definitive CD release.

7. reidc

reidc Senior Member

All,
    I have an original issue of Shaft- having bought it quite a few years ago- although I haven't a clue when(early alzheimers!!!).

On my issue- the final song is what, The End Theme? It gets half way through, and then a hear a sound that anyone with a turntable can duplicate...

Just play a song and then push your tonearm to the end of the record while still playing... my ears hurt an awful lot. I'd like to know where or how that was remastered- hint hint - needle drop????

This is a legal store bought version.

Chris

8. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

That "needle scratches the record" sound was intentionally on the recording going back to the original vinyl release. It wasn't a mistake. I guess it was Issac Hayes idea of a joke or maybe he was just anticipating rap's use of scratching. So what is in the multimedia program? Clips from the movie?

9. The Cellar

No, mainly Stax promo material. There is a short write-up on Isaac Hayes. And some blurry photographs.:sigh:

10. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Was the Multimedia on the remaster only? I don't believe I've ever played my original on my PC to see if there is any other data on it.

The SRRRRAAAAAATTTTCCCCCHHHHH is pretty crappy thing! It was never there on my tape versions. I was actually pissed, as I really liked the end theme, and now all you get is half of it.

Chris

11. The Cellar

Yes.It looks like there's one on all of the Stax remasters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.