Shaft TV Series (1973)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mattright, Sep 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattright

mattright Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well somehow I had no idea that there was ever a Shaft TV show. I believe it was really more like a series of 2 hr TV movies - about 7 of them in total.
    I'm no expert on the theatrical movies - but I'm a huge fan of 70s cop shows and this one fits right in. You've still got Richard Roundtree reprising his role along with variations of the iconic Isaac Hayes theme song peppered throughout the show.
    It seems to me like like somebody had some generic 70s private eye detective scripts and they simply shoehorned the John Shaft character into the script. That said, I still enjoy this as it's "new to me" so it's like discovering a lost tv series. Obviously the character is sanitized for TV but Richard Roundtree still brings the charisma - and it's got a lot of gritty NYC location shooting
    and I'm always primed to see 70s NYC street shots - and combine that with the Shaft theme song thrown in it does a great job of bringing that 70s vibe.

willy likes this.
  2. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I have no recollection of that show.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I remember the movie but not the show.

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I remember a Mad Magazine spoof that referred to the show as 'Shafted.'

5. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

It's quite cool, actually - the blu ray of the movie has the first episode as a bonus feature. Highly entertaining 70s crime television in my book :righton:

6. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

The Shaft TV show was part of The New CBS Tuesday Night Movies. It rotated with Hawkins (Jimmy Stewart as a rural lawyer) and random made for TV movies in the same time slot.

This is the "wheel" concept that was semi-popular in the 1970s. Different shows rotating in the same time slot. Most successful was the NBC Sunday Night Mystery Movie (Columbo, McCloud, McMillian and Wife.) Most other attempts did not do nearly as well. The CBS attempt was a flop.

7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I was about to pull the trigger on the DVD set featuring all the TV movies. I then realized that the Blu-Ray of Shaft featured a couple of episodes so I watched those and was disappointed.

The writing is bland and formulaic. Shaft was sanitized for Prime Time and got neutered in the process. No danger, no sex, and a 95% white cast.

I can understand why Roundree may have hope for a long time secured gig, but in the end, it probably left a bad taste in his mouth.

A three CD set containing the cues from all the TV movies and Shaft's Big Score was released a few years ago and has some great music in it plus detailed liner notes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LeBon Bush likes this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

MGM released the full series a few years ago on factory pressed DVD-R's.
    I didn't mind the series even though it's nowhere near as good as the movies.
    The violence is played right down, but it still has a certain charm.

I wish all 3 films were available on bluray. "Shaft In Africa" is my favourite of the three movies.

Simon A likes this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I loved the movies and lost interest in the series quickly. No cursing, no violence. We had enough of the 'white guy' detectives, from Holmes, through Hammett and Marlowe, etc. Shaft was a really different character/movie.
    Banacek was more interesting than a gutless Shaft.

WLL and Simon A like this.
  10. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

The Shaft TV series was wayyyyyyy ahead of it's time ..[it should've been on cable]no way that show would last on regular TV.

11. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

On the series, Shaft sold out to the man and was too nice to whites.

12. Sherwood SST

Sherwood SST Jazz isn’t dead. It just smells funny.

I just discovered that this TV series existed as well. I’m very curious about the music cues. I will have to try and track this cd set down.

Simon A likes this.
  13. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

I remember the tv series being shown in the UK but don't remember the show being two hours long.
    Can't say it was that special or my memory bank would remember more about it.
    I think the first film was the best and that was more because of the music.

14. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...It was 90 (US commercial, obviously) minutes long, not two hours. Some episodes were shown later on TV titled as movies, not as a series. I didn't watch it (or see any of the movies then) --- but I do have a memory of seeing a bit of the first episode, Shaft was fighting bad guys in a wooden building by the former, he pushed one or more into a trap door dumping them in the river where they would drown.

15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The US Region Free Blu-Ray of the first Shaft movie and the UK Blu-Ray both contain one of the TV movies (The Killing), the second of the series. For anyone interested in watching one of these films without having to buy the Warner Archive DVD box set, that's the way to go. That screen cap from The Killing shows you pretty quickly that this is not your father's Shaft.

Here the info found on the Wiki page:

[​IMG]

Here's the link to the Warner Archive release page.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    NickySee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.