Shall i try a tube amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fishoutofwater, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Good advice. Used, and less than 10 years old, I'd add.

My first tube amp (well, receiver, really) was 35 years old when I bought it. It took several hundred dollars and a couple of months to get it safely singing again. When you start looking at that degree of used, be prepared to spend on bringing up to code.

RDriftwood and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

After 40 years I never heard a solid-state amp sound as good as tube amps. But, that is upgraded tube amps. However some stock tube amps do kill any solid-state amps. Marantz model 8 come to mind, but at $3K. Rebuilt vintage can cost under $1K and jus kill sonically most solid-state amps with good tube friendly speakers. Keep in mind a SS amp that sounds as good as a tube amp must be out there somewhere. Perhaps a great class D amp or that called 'first watt' amp that audiophiles build.

Tubes are, at first, a PITA. They need the best tubes and those cost a lot. But, if you want best sound, I believe the only path is tube amps. PM me if interested. I can help you choose a great vintage tube amp and rebuild & upgrade it for you. Vintage tube amps have tone controls and those are necessary to tune to your speakers and the listening room. I do not think anyone except one person can make amps sound as good of myself. I just have so many years experience (not bragging).

3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Most tube amps produce under 2% distortion at full volume and you can not hear 2%. Listening less than full volume is less than 2%. Likely under 1%. So, high distortion is 'out the window' for any less than junk quality tube amplifiers.

HiFi Guy, SandAndGlass and trd like this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

That and most of the distortion is innocuous 2nd-order harmonics.

HiFi Guy and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

2nd order for single-ended amps & 3rd order for push-pull tube amps. Push-pull tube amps cancel 2nd order distortion by design.

HiFi Guy, Fishoutofwater and trd like this.
  6. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I feel like I ask myself this question at least once a day.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

If vintage is out, then get a new under warranty Yaqin M13S for $700 shipped and add a tube phono stage amplifier. New amps are without tone controls though.

8. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

There are good SS and good tube amps. If you aren’t sure whether or why you should try a tube amp it is hard for me recommend you buy one.

Everything is synergy. There are vast considerations needed with tube amps in the midst of ‘synergy’ in an audio chain.

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Stereophile measurements of push-pull designs reveal that most distortion is still 2nd order.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

Just took at a look at your speakers in your profile. You’ve got speakers that will certainly be appropriate with a wide range of tube amps. That’s a big start.

11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Yes, but at what level? It is extremely lower than single-ended amps. Again, push pull cancels 2nd order distortion. Some 2nd order can slip thru due to less than perfect matching tubes and less than perfect audio transformer design, etc.

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Yes, tube friendly and the Revel M22s do not dip below 4 ohms. My tube amp audio transformers are also rather high in primary impedance keeping distortion low at those 4 ohm speaker dips.

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I Can't speak as to what produces what. I just recall that many push-pull designs they've measured have 2nd order as the dominant distortion type.

The following is an excerpt from one of their bench tests. And prior to this paragraph they praised the quality of its transformers:

However, the actual distortion is composed almost entirely of the relatively innocuous low-order harmonics (fig.10). At low frequencies, the third harmonic predominates in Ultralinear mode (fig.11) but is the same level as the second harmonic in Triode mode (fig.12)—but the odd-order harmonics drop rapidly in the midrange, leaving the second the dominant harmonic, even in Ultralinear mode (fig.13).
    Read more at Cayin A-50T integrated amplifier Measurements

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You read wrong info, push-pull amps have dominate 3rd order distortion unless designed to be unbalanced as in the case of the Cary Rocket tube amp. 2nd order is more pleasing to the ear. That is why many audiophiles use single-ended amps that produce dominate 2nd order vs 3rd order harmonic distortion. It is not me making statements, it is simply the design. I personally have nothing to do with it.

The Cayin 3nd order is dominate at an insane -75dB below. You can not hear it. A record on a quiet TT in a dead zone (playing no music) is around minus 60-70dB. That is extremely clean. A single-ended amp is like -30dB below regarding 2nd order. If the push pull amp did not cancel 2nd order, it would be also -30dB below the fundamental. My post does not mean push-pull amps always make 3rd order more than 2nd order distortion, they are about the same. The Cayin 3rd order is only -5DB less and it is less due to there is not near the energy compared to 2nd order harmonics. It is actually amplifying 2nd order less than 3rd order as the 3rd order is not there near as much. Understand? I am talking about push-pull vs single-ended amps.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  15. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Ugh between all my guitar tube amps I was hoping I could avoid tubes in the stereo world. Lol.

I already figured out how to mod my guitar amps , bias etc. not again with stereo amps. Ha.

16. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

The water is fine, jump right in.

I would echo the recommendation of others and suggest a push pull integrated based on the el34 or el86 tube. It will probably have enough power to drive the speakers you have, and the tubes are plentiful and affordable. Next, upgrade to some sensitive speakers so that you can eventually move to an SET amp if you chose (you probably will).

Fishoutofwater and Ezd like this.
  17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I guess it depends upon how much work you will do to get the best playback sound. Personally, I will work my ass off. I may have 10 hours labor in upgrading a tube amp. But have 1000s of hours listening to it.

18. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Nah I’m not gonna get into learning stereo tube amps. Not that interested.

But I’m sure the tube stereo amp will bite me.
    Tubes are for sure the best.

I just don’t know if they can offer as much attack compared to a SS amp for stereos?

19. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

I am not technical, I listen with my ears and heart. I think that if you are asking this question, you need to satisfy your curiosity. Or die wondering.

However interesting these subjects may be, you do not need to know anything about 2nd order harmonics, tube rolling, attack or decay. I have never tube-rolled, I just enjoy the sound. (FWIW, I tweaked far more when I ran solid-state!) You don't need to know about how they work and the variables to own an electric car.

If you are really unsure, you might want to try a valve phono stage in the meantime? But yeah, if you go ahead, it has to match your speakers.
    My 2c

20. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Klipsch

RDriftwood and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

You live only once.

It is better to try tube amp if you are curious.

Used Prima Luna or new Kinko from Hong Kong within 1.5K USD will be good starting point.

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

They can actually exceed SS amps in that regard, as well as bass impact and definition. Until I got a Rogue Stereo 100, my SS Yamaha provided the best bass I had experienced in my system - ousting quite a few other well regarded integrateds - even Rogue's class D hybrids. The KT120 Stereo 100 trumps them all. Even so, I "downgraded" back to a Cronus Magnum because I find it more musical and engaging.

I'd start with something like one of the $2K Line Magnetics. They're built like tanks and manual biasing with the built-in meters is a cinch.

SandAndGlass and Tone? like this.
  23. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Cool. Yeah I can bias with a probe no problem. It’s easy.

I know I’ll get bitten. Tubes are superior.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

A little more warmth. I feel my system could do with a bit more warmth.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Warmth has a different meaning for different people, I have found. Can you be more specific?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.