Share a record/CD-buying sob story

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bataclan2002, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

Here's mine:
    I found a Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion II MFSL Gold Cd for $1.99 in a consignment shop and scooped it up post haste. What a treasure I found for dirt cheap!
    When I got it home, as I was taking it off the tray - that funky, weird plastic holder that is supposed to secure the disk in place - I wasn't careful and the disk split in half in my hand.

I almost cried....

LivingForever, jfeldt, tinnox and 8 others like this.
  2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

That’s sad...
    Perhaps if you focus on the original owner who had to put that Gold CD on consignment, and probably for dire circumstances, perhaps it might lessen the sting.

Perhaps...

Perhaps Not

melstapler and bataclan2002 like this.
  3. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Lighten up, you're making a huge leap there. Maybe the consignor just thought it was a crap album.

Guilt trip not needed.

4. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Paid $100 for an original Atlantic CD pressing of Y Kant Tori Read on discogs. It had been on my want list for over six years. When it arrived it looked great. Checked it against every known bootleg copy just to make sure. It didn't match any of them, it was original, yay! Ripped and enjoyed it over and over.

Six months later the remastered version comes out. Oh c'mon! But the remastered version turns out to be more compressed than the original. Okay, yay my original was still worth it. Decide to browse a few of the Y Kant Tori Read sites with the renewed interest in the album and there it is... I find my "original" version listed as the latest bootleg from Russia, the most accurate bootleg yet! So close that it's fooling most buyers and collectors.

I contact the seller who also just found out about the bootleg. But it's been seven or eight months so I don't expect much. He's decent enough to refund 50% of the purchase. So not a total loss, but I'm still out $50 on this stupid bootleg and the search for an original copy continues... (yes I can still enjoy the music and the rip seems to be an exact digital copy of the original, so really it's just the packaging, right? But ugh)

5. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

I once bought a second hand cd online from one of those huge online re-sellers. Forget which cd, doesn't matter. Point was, I received Cher's Greatest Hits (sic) in the post in error.

It was awful.

True story.

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

No Guilt Trip inferred, at all...
    It’s not as if I was lecturing @bataclan2002 for taking advantage of another!

Sometimes in life, shedding a little light and perspective on unfortunate occurrences helps; maybe not.

It’s entirely his option to use that insight, as he wishes.

Also - perhaps you should watch where you “leap”:
    Even if “the consignor just thought it was a crap album”, then he lost the money he originally paid!
    Much more than $1.99 !!

izgoblin likes this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Over the course of several decades I built a collection of many hundreds of LPs, CDs, and SACDs.

Long story short, I started frequenting this forum and discovered that many are the wrong versions, are "unlistenable," and are not "forum favorites."

8. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

About 15 years ago I scored a pristine, first stereo pressing of Dylan's Blonde on Blonde for $5 at a street sale while walking through Brooklyn with my wife.

At some point I got careless, and one of the LPs fell out of the sleeve onto the pavement, creating a nice little chip on the outer edge. It didn't affect the first track, but a wave of despair comes over me whenever I think about that piece of missing vinyl.

Juggsnelson and lightbulb like this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Don't feel bad, I think that same situation has happened to many of us over the years. If the record plays, just enjoy the music. It makes for a good story!

10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

The worst thing that happens to me, and I seem to repeat my mistake, is that if I find a good score on a record that I am looking for, I check the condition for scratches, but I somehow don't see warpage. This has happened to me more than just a few times. I get too caught up in the moment. I have a whole box full of vinyl that are too warped for my tastes. Unfortunately, I don't have the heart to just throw them in the trash. I feel that I have some kind of Karma thing going on.

Yost and Motorcity supernaut like this.
  11. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

When I had to sell my copy of Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion II MFSL Gold Cd in order to keep the IRS from seizing my grandmother's house for back taxes. I hope whomever picked it up took good care of it.

12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

When I was about 8 I went to a summer day camp. One day we went to a mall for a “field trip” and I bought the You’re The One That I Want 45 (Grease).
    When I went to the arcade I leaned against a video game and cracked the record.

13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It could have been worse.

It might have been one of her studio albums.:)

Marble Index, Jrr, snowman872 and 4 others like this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Might be worth checking out a Vinyl Flat if you have a whole box of warped records.

E.Baba likes this.
  15. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

My biggest sob story was holding a copy of a U2 promo CD for Zoo TV with a $25 price tag. I passed on it because upon sampling it, it was just a bunch of weird tracks, not really any U2 music. Freaking idiot

bataclan2002 likes this.
  16. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

My last word on it. If I had started that thread and got that response from you i would have felt you were lecturing me. That's my opinion, take it or do what you like with it.

Here's a thought, maybe the Disc had a very small flaw that had weakened it (I've never had a CD fall apart on me despite some real fights to get them out - Brett Anderson box set, I'm looking at you) and the seller knew it, thought he was doing well to get 1.99. :shrug:

Hey Vinyl Man and Scopitone like this.
  17. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Loaned my original Abbey Road to a kid in high school in 1970. He ruined it somehow one track on side2 is all crackly and even looks "burned" on the vinyl. I don't know what he did, he refused to take responsibility. Never loan out your records!
    (sorry I guess it not a "buying" sob story but after 48 years I had to vent...)

18. Bobby Morrow

Mine did have a happy ending.

I ordered the Stones’ It’s Only Rock & Roll Japanese SHM SACD from Amazon UK. Buying SACDs from them is a practice I try to avoid due to the ludicrous prices they charge. Still, I had a feeling IORR was about to go OOP so I sucked it up and bought it.

When the sealed disc arrived I opened it to find the horrid standard CD remaster is place of the SACD. I returned it to Amazon who sent out another copy that had the correct disc in.

Not exactly a sob story but I did well up a little when I opened the package and found that wrong disc.

lightbulb, Crimson jon and Jarleboy like this.
  19. PDMan

PDMan Forum Resident

There was a Christmas LP I looked for for years - "Cool Crazy Christmas" by Homer & Jethro. I mean years. I finally grabbed a sealed copy of it on EBay and paid close to a hundred bucks for it. It was one of the worst sounding vinyl discs I ever got pressed on RCA - not as bad as Dynaflex but pretty close. So I worked on it and cleaned it click by click and filtered it and did everything I could to make it listenable. Hours of work. And then Sony released it as a digital download. LOL

20. Bobby Morrow

There have been times when I’ve paid over the odds for an OOP CD only for it to be reissued with bonus tracks and superior packaging the instant my PayPal transaction clears.:)

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There are stories on here about people breaking the CDs because they don't know how the lift lock tray works. Personally, I always check the CD before buying, so I would have opened the case in the store (you just never know - there may have been a Cher's Greatest Hits CD inside :D).

22. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Probably when I passed on buying Wu-Tang Clan "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin" when I saw it at the local Goodwill for $2.50...I figured that was way too much for an album I would probably only play once...:doh:

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Bought a brand new Donald Fagan 'Sunken Condos' CD when the CD first came out years ago. Opened it up... No cd inside. Empty. Doom on me!

I just blew it off and that's that. Still haven't heard the album.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  24. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Buying a used Corrosion of Conformity's Wiseblood album, only to discover that the CD inside is a severely scratched up Radiohead CD... :(

Dave S likes this.
  25. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Found a copy of Dennis Wilson’s Pacific Ocean Blue for $6 and then went and forgot it in the car while out and about on a hot summer day in Los Angeles. When I came back, the vinyl was like one of Dali’s clocks :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.