Share a record/CD-buying sob story

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bataclan2002, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

My first CD Player was a "magazine style" 6 CD changer. I purchased Zebra Live on release day and the CD would not fit in any of the slots! I exchanged it a few times - none of them fit! I finally brought the magazine to the store (CD World, Totowa, NJ) to show the Manager who accused me earlier of making all of this up! Even after showing him, it still ended in a shouting match and I stormed out with my ill fitting cd! It took me a few years to be able to play the darn thing, when I purchased a new CD Player. True story :)

2. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Can't say how many times I've looked at a used MFSL CD that used the lift lock tray only to see the hub on the CD cracked or the disc cracked entirely but holding together for some reason. I've also had more than one occasion of having to stop a clerk from trying to "push" the CD back onto a lift lock case. Depending on the zest of the clerk in trying to put it back, my reaction can range from "let me help you with that as these are tricky" to "STOP!" with my lunging toward the CD to wrest it away from them before damage occurs. I'd say that is what happened with that disc. Still sorry to hear that it happened.

bataclan2002, Dave S and lightbulb like this.
  3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

didn't buy Kate Bush Aerial when it came out on vinyl

now $$$ and no rerelease in sight

didn't buy enough lps from CLassic Records - already had Japanese copies

4. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Found a long OOP copy of Thin Lizzy The Peel Sessions for $6 at Generation Records in NY. Next morning I popped it in the rental car's CD player and it stopped about halfway through, and the player wouldn't eject it.

After a couple of months the rental car agency shipped me the CD, with several gouges around the edge where they used pliers to extract it.

Imagine70, nlgbbbblth and artfromtex like this.
  5. That happened to me with Paul Weller's latest album last May. The record store was so kind to mail the disc for free so everything was alright 2 days later.

6. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I didn't buy PIL metal box when I saw it in a record store for $25 in 1979. Still regret that.

lightbulb likes this.
  7. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

1968 Boston WBCN---had a friend that worked there---talking to one of the on air guys about records---he asked if he could borrow two we talked about to play on the show and he guaranteed i would get them back---first was original first pressing Savage Young Beatles LP---second was Who--anyway, anyhow anywhere single---never saw the album again---single came back with coffee stain on sleeve and scunge on disc---never, ever again did i loan any record to anyone...

8. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

I once ordered The Moody Blues "Legend of a Band" on VHS through Amazon, I got a Nickelback CD in the mail instead.

9. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Did you at least make a "Photograph" of the Nickelback CD?...:tiphat:

10. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

I'm pretty sure I flung it out of my third story window out of frustration :laugh:

Man at C&A, Steel Horse and 86mets like this.
  11. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Well you're in for a treat when you do, it's great.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  12. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

I'd been looking for the first Forgas Band Phenomena CD Roue Libre for several years. One of my French contacts told me he was selling off his collection, and I asked whether he had a copy. He told me that he had sold his copy a week before for €16. A Japanese seller than listed a copy on Discogs for €200. Considering him insane, I messaged him, explained that the album was rare but not hugely valuable, and offered him the €20 I thought the disc was worth. Hardly surprisingly, he declined.

I then found a copy on Amazon Japan for ¥1 (less than a penny), promptly bought it, had it shipped to my Japanese forwarding address and then sent to me here. When it turned up, it was a Japanese country and western album. The seller apologised profusely and refunded the ¥1 and shipping within Japan, but I was stuck with the £7 charge it had cost me to forward it.

Luckily a copy turned up on Discogs a few months later for €20 and I bought it. The strangest thing was that the odd Japanese seller who wanted €200 for it actually managed to sell it.

13. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Guess I gotta get now. :)

You know, with it being in the packaging. lol.

14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Never asked for a refund, or a new cd. Don't know why not... guess I just didn't want to go through the explanation.

15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Just a quibble — Dynaflex LPs sound great!

Now RCA's Dynagroove, *that* was a trainwreck...

16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

That is so wrong, that the kid “burned” Side Two of Abbey Road!

It’s Side One that has “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” and “Octopus’ Garden”....!

:laugh: :winkgrin: :mad:

17. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I was recently at a Gary Numan concert and though I hadn't heard his new album, I enjoyed the new songs live so much that I just had to buy his new CD there. I even ponied up for the autographed version which I think was $25. I was low on cash, but it was hard to avoid.

Behind me at the show were a couple of royal ***holes who wouldn't kept yelling "Play Cars!!!" really loud throughout. Eventually I said something to them, but I wasn't expecting that they clearly were high on something and ready for a fight. And that's what they gave me as soon as I came out of the show. Stupid me tried holding on to that CD I just bought while defending myself, and I did a much better job of the latter than I did the former. Of course, until the end when one dude either grabbed it out of my hand or hit me so hard that I hit the ground and dropped the disc.

I went home that night with my ego and the rest of me pretty well bruised, and I ordered another copy of the CD on Amazon - obviously not signed - so at least I'd be able to enjoy the album after I got over the whole rotten event.

The next day I saw a guy I know who loves Gary Numan. I asked him what he thought of the new album and he described it as "meh". I told him that surprised me because the stuff sounded great live, and he said, "Oh yeah, the live versions are a lot more aggressive and better overall. The album is pretty weak though."

And that's what it's like to be me. :)

18. silvina

silvina Forum Resident

4 years ago, I bought a DVD of The Police live in 1983. When I played it, it suddenly stopped, and I couldn't watch the rest of the show......so, a few days later I went to the record store to complain and they allowed me to choose any CD/DVD I wanted. I Saw a copy of The Beatles' Past Masters, and decided to take it because I had seen Mc Cartney live a few days earlier and I recognized a few songs he had played on the show. The next day, I rippped the songs to my computer so I could later store them on my mp3 player. When I played it, it was defective. I came back to the store and complained again. This time I picked The Blue Album (at my mother's advice). The same happened. I decided not to complain again, and kept my CD. A few days later a relative who lives in the US and was on vacation here in Montevideo, found out about this. so she came to visit me and gave me a copy of Like A Prayer, an álbum I already had.

19. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Relatable enough that I think it's worth posting here, my dad bought a new stereo from Montgomery Wards and left it in the station wagon while we went to watch a movie. This was in a time and place where things didn't usually walk away, but it walked away through the aid of a coat hanger.

This one had headphones, which I was really looking forward to getting. He didn't get another one, so I regretted not being able to having headphones. On the positive side, not having them in my reckless formative years probably saved some of my hearing.

20. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Got the Richard Hell & The Voidoids Blank Generation anniversary vinyl for Christmas. Was needle dropping the set and, while flipping over to side 4, the disc slipped out of my hands and scraped against the dusty wall. Now side 3 is trashed with scratches and paint, and side 4 has a scratch on the first couple of songs. Thankfully side 3 was needle dropped in its pristine form. I was angry for days, though.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  21. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Bought a Fairport convention album at Venus records once and went back to return it because it had the wrong record in the cover to find my car towed: cost me $200. Don’t know if that counts.

22. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

This happened a couple of year's ago.

So I flew out to Las Vegas to hang out with some fellow SHFers for the weekend and go see some shows (I ended up only seeing one show, "Love", and it was awesome!). So Thursday night at the hotel, I was asked (since I was the resident CD guru), what were some of the "holy grail" CDs I would like to own. The first one I mentioned was the 2-track Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here".

The next day we all Ubered to a used record store. In the back was a small area with a shelf of used CDs. One of our group had beat us to the store and was checking out the CDs. When I joined him back there, I noticed hardly any of the CDs had a price. My buddy said that he had already asked about that and the owner told him they were generally priced at $7 each. Not unreasonable. So, as I came upon the "P" section I noticed a smooth edged case in the Pink Floyds. I stooped down and saw that it was "Wish You Were Here". I pulled the CD off the shelf, opened it up and VOILA! - 2-track version! I told my buddy that it was awesome to find something like that for $7. So I picked up a few more CDs and took them to the front desk for the owner to hold while I looked through the albums. The next words out of his mouth were "I'll look up the value of the CDs on Discogs and tell you the price when you get back" :cop:

My heart sunk. Sure enough, he was excited when I came back to check on the price. He said "That Pink Floyd CD is RARE! It goes for almost $200! How does that sound for a fair price?" Of course, I wanted to strangle him and politely declined at that price. He didn't even want to negotiate! He did the same thing with all but one of the CDs I brought up. He asked full on high auction sell prices for all but one. You could tell he was frustrated that he couldn't find a decent price for it (Neil Young WG target) - so I did get that for $7. I would have walked out, but there were several of my buddies enjoying looking through the records. I ended up buying a few records too, but dang I was disappointed!:(

23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

As a huge Lizzy fan, who does not have that disc, your post hurt to read!
    I no longer put anything but CD-R's in car stereos. Original discs stay at home. Nice and comfy.

24. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

$100 for an Atlantic CD would have been a steal!
    Something similar happened to me with The Family (Prince related), got the CD and realized it was fake. The seller was arguing with me that they don’t sell fake CDs! Finally agreed to refund half but I pushed for 100%.

Did Y Kant Tori come out officially?

Tuna82 likes this.
  25. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

That su
    That sucks soooooooo bad! I feel ya.
    I never comment or question with a clerk about value for fear of something like that happening.

Tuna82 and Man at C&A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.