Share your records pressed on "secret" Quiex type vinyl (NOT colored/clear vinyl) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, May 6, 2012.

1. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I just played this one and discovered it was on translucent brown vinyl:

Meat Puppets ‎– Huevos, SST Records, SST 150, LP, translucent brown vinyl, US, 1987

Attached Files:

2. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

My regular US Warners press of Face Dances is slightly translucent if held up to a strong light.

3. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

Just read last night that Screaming Trees' Buzz Factory was released in a translucent purple version. The LP was originally on SST, but perhaps the purple was a reissue or a limited run of some kind (I just have the CD). Great record... just listened last night. Turn it up to enjoy a Black Sun Morning.

4. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

I have a promo copy of Robert Palmer's "Pride" on Quiex vinyl which is translucent.

5. Simon F.

Simon F. Formerly Mister Yesterday

So was the coloured vinyl pressing only available in USA and Canada? I know there was a sky blue pressing in Australia.

6. Simon F.

Coloured vinyl is good to look at.

Sebadoh's III and Weed Forestin were released on coloured vinyl, but in limited quantities, I have III on gray/pinkish vinyl.

7. Simon F.

And 'Bakesale' was recently reissued on gray marbled vinyl.

8. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Just a heads up Simon: We're talking about vinyl that appears to be black but is actually translucent when you hold it up to the light, E.G. Quiex type records, not colored vinyl. Carry on. :)

Someone earlier mentioned Meat Puppets - Huevos, and sure enough I checked mine and it's translucent! Cool!

9. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

Red House Paintes 'old ramon' appears to be black but brown against light.

Same thing with Mellow Gold with Beck.

10. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Oh wow, how did those sound upon release?

11. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

^^^^^^^^
    Sorry to beat a dead horse, but again, we're talking about vinyl that appears to be black but is actually translucent when you hold it up to the light, E.G. Quiex type records, not colored or clear vinyl. Carry on.:wave:

12. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

Here is a list of USA labels that issued vinyl pressed with the Quiex translucent vinyl. The Quiex era in the USA started in 1981 and ended in 1991. The majority pressed by the major labels were for promotional use. The list is certainly not complete as I do not have U.S. Quiex pressings of recordings that were pressed with this vinyl in Canada.
    Japanese pressings started (I believe) in 1976. Here in Canada a few of the major labels used Quiex or another translucent vinyl. I have only found one Canadian Columbia (a Canadian artist) LP pressed on Quiex vinyl was pressed by Cinram but mastered by Columbia Records Canada. The best known Canadian releases, the A & M audiophile series were pressed in Japan by JVC and issued in Canadian printed jackets and U2's "Rattle & Hum". I think just one of the audiophile half speeds series was pressed in Canada.
    Teldec vinyl was often translucent as well.
    Many of the first wave of audiophile labels used translucent vinyl but are not in the list below.
    This list is not complete or definitive! Happy hunting!
    A & M, Angel, Antilles, Antone's, Arista, Artful Balance, Ascent, Asylum, Atlantic, Audiophon, Backstreet, Big Life, Blackhawk, Blue Note, Capitol, Cargo, Chesky, Chrysalis, Compleat, Concord, Concord Jazz, Concord Picante, Contemporary, Crossover, Crusaders, Cypress, Dark Horse, Discovery, ECM (Warner Bro.), E.G., Elektra, Elektra Musician, EMI, Emarcy, Enigma, Ensign, Fantasy, Fine Arts, Flying Fish, Folkways, Geffen, George Wein, Gold Castle, Grammaphone, Grammavision, Grunt, Heartbeat, Horizon, I.R.S., IPI, Island, Jam, Jive, Magenta, MCA, Mercury, Novus, Opal, Open Air, Pablo, Paisley Park, Passport, Pathfinder, Pausa, Philips, Philo, Planet, Polydor, Private Music, Qwest, RCA, Relativity, Reprise, Rhino, Rooster, Rough Trade, Rounder, Ryko, San Francisco, Silvertone, Sire, Spindletop, Stash, Stony Plain, TBS, Uni, Unistar, Varese Sarabande, Varrick, Verve, Virgin (A & M), Warner Brothers, Watt, Westwood One, Windham Hill.

Kenny Lagers and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

A little boo boo.
    Something didn't seem right when I typed in Fantasy Records (CCR's Chooglin') using Quiex II vinyl. A check showed that it was "virgin vinyl" and pressed by Columbia Records in 1982. The vinyl is NOT translucent.

14. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Forum Resident

Record Store Day Empire Records on orange translucent vinyl. Beautiful

15. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

Uncle tupelo's "no depression" is pressed on translucent vinyl. However, my copy of the 2 lp "still feel gone & March" is not.

16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Dave Matthews Band's new 2LP vinyl release of "Away From The World" is all clear vinyl.

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Well... at least you tried. :laugh:

18. guitarget

guitarget Forum Resident

Maybe and Admin can change the thread title since people apparently aren't reading the posts.

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  19. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Its a pity that this got mixed up between clear vinyl and records made with quiex vinyl. Thanks for the heads up on REM records, I saw a couple pics online and seems that these didn't have the QUIEX sticker, just a gold promo stamp. I do have a promo of Murmur I think so I will check my copy. I think that Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood wasn't mentioned, this one doesn't have the QUIEX black sticker either but it is translucent and does have a text that says something like: pressed on premium vinyl or something, and also info regarding being a promo

20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Virtually all stock A&M albums on vinyl for US distribution from about 1983 on are pressed on the dark translucent Quiex II vinyl. A&M made the conscious decision to switch to that type of vinyl after doing a run of Audiophile pressings. Another classy move for the label.

So some in my collection are:

Herb Alpert BLOW YOUR OWN HORN
    Herb Alpert BULLISH
    Herb Alpert KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME

Carpenters VOICE OF THE HEART
    Carpenters AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS
    Carpenters YESTERDAY ONCE MORE
    Carpenters LOVELINES
    Richard Carpenter TIME

Sergio Mendes CONFETTI
    Sergio Mendes BRASIL '86

Curiously, some A&Ms from this period for the Latin market are not translucent at all but solid black. Examples are Herb Alpert's NOCHE DE AMOR, the Latin semi-equivalent of BLOW YOUR OWN HORN, and BRAVIA, the Latin equivalent of BULLISH.

I have a Sergio Mendes CONFETTI from Canada that's solid black.

And the boss' wife Lani Hall only seemed to get her Latin ES FACIL AMAR on translucent, while her standard US COLLECTIBLES seems to be on solid black vinyl.

And just as curious are that some 12" singles from the period are translucent, others are solid black.

So it's not a hard and fast rule, but you'll find many '83 and beyond A&M's to be on great vinyl.

Harry

shnaggletooth, greelywinger and Jrr like this.
  21. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Jeez - thanks a lot guys. I already raise eyebrows when browsing the used bins, sliding off my glasses to read dead wax info. Now I'll have to hold the damn things up to the light to see if they are Quiex. I have so many records already mentioned on this thread, and I don't mind checking them out in the privacy of my home - but now I'm going to officially enter a new stage of public vinyl obsessiveness.

I needed this thread like a(nother) hole in the head.

Gavinyl likes this.
  22. renderj

renderj Forum Resident

Other A&M titles on the translucent vinyl:

Bryan Adams - Reckless
    Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing

23. renderj

renderj Forum Resident

I also have a pressing of the Minutemen - What Makes a Man Start Fires - on brown translucent vinyl. An earlier post mentioned the Meat Puppets. Was SST Records using virgin vinyl?

I also have a number of indie '45s from the 1990s that are on this type of vinyl. I would not have guessed these small indie labels were using virgin vinyl. Most of these records do have good sound, however.

24. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

25. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

You must be talking about promo copies - I bought the album within a couple of days of release, still have it, and it is solid, light blocking black.

john lennonist likes this.