Sharp Objects new HBO crime drama with Amy Adams *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sberger, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Camille seems far more interested in drinking than sex.

2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Yes...The question is why? I'm sure we'll find the answer as we move forward.

Haven't yet watched episode two but I have it PVR'ed. I'll probably get into it tonight.

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I think it's a VPI w/ a different arm possibly

Dmdstrhalo and 500Homeruns like this.
  4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I would like some Led Zeppelin on the turntable, whatever model it is. Something needs to liven up that place!

GentleSenator likes this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think the TT is a VPI Prime.

6. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I thought it might be a VPI also.

7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what's wrong with it blasting out of a vintage volvo by way of an abused ipod?

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

If it's her doing the blasting, absolutely nothing!

GentleSenator likes this.
  9. jon9091

Episode 2 was very good IMO. The wife and I are hooked, although slogging through a week at a time will be tough.

I haven’t seen any speakers in the old man’s stereo set up yet. Anyone else see anything?
    Also, I think the audio gear is Simaudio but I could be wrong.

It all looks similar to this to me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  10. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

This thread's talk is understandably skewed toward the one character who's probably not even mentioned on any other forum.

And you know what? I think he's the killer.

ndoheny likes this.
  11. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Powerful conclusion to last night's episode.

12. jon9091

Interesting theory. My suspicion is that it’s either the sheriff (not too far fetched)....or my long shot...her boss.

13. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Her boss, that would be a drastic way to get Camille sober!

jon9091 likes this.
  14. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I'm only two episodes in but it seems to me that Camille's little half sister, in a twisted mindset provoked by her screwed up mother Adora, is the strongest suspect. Since Camille's past seems to bare eerie similarities to a similar murder years ago, perhaps it was Camille's sister (now deceased?) that was also corrupted by her mother Adora, that was the murderer in that case. The sheriff (and others) I think is just part of the cover-up because of the family's standing in the community? Of course this theory could be the result of a red herring to keep us off track.

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

jpelg, jon9091 and 500Homeruns like this.
  16. 500Homeruns

Does anybody else think the cartridge is a wood body Grado?

jon9091 likes this.
  17. 500Homeruns

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting (I thought), but do you think they are wrong about the turntable? I agree with the article that it is a VPI (also posted earlier in this thread), but I think it costs more than the estimate in the article ($1000 to $5000). The Avenger is $20,000 and the Titan is $30,000+.

P.S. - I also like the show and will post about it and not just the audio system. :winkgrin:

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm DVRing the series to binge later on. Read today that Amy Adams doesn't want to re-visit her character so this season will be a one and done!

19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I don’t know turntables but I felt the same way 1-5k seems low. I also really like the show. My wife listens to some TV podcasts I think by some younger folks and they are half flipping out not understanding why there are so many boxes! My wife knew right away I and many here would know, the Simaudio jumped out at me instantly but I admit I was stumped with what each piece was. I also admit I was half frustrated it took a few episodes to see the speakers and I was crestfallen to see their positioning! Just kidding really.

The show makes me squirm at times on multiple levels but I’m in. My wife and I’ve been wondering what Amma does or did with the pig? I guess it was the one in the greased pig contest, but I have to say we were quite worried otherwise.

500Homeruns likes this.
  20. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Sadly, my interest in `Sharp Objects' is rapidly disappearing.

jpelg likes this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've read the novel, which is better, of course, but they are doing an excellent job of distilling it to its essence. Camille and her mother are just as I imagined!

As to the audio gear, I think that's a VPI Prime (standard, not Signature), and I see some Simaudio Moon electronics. I WANT TO SEE HIS SPEAKERS!!! Where the heck are they? He clearly listens to them in some scenes and headphones in others.

500Homeruns likes this.
  22. 500Homeruns

Well, if it is a VPI Prime, then the article (@bmoregnr posted earlier) about his gear would be correct in saying the turntable cost between $1000-$5000.

23. jon9091

Sorry these pics are so crappy. HBO won’t let me take a screen shot. Understandable I guess. Anyway, this sure looks like a VPI Prime body to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as speakers...look at the shape to the left of the chair. Notice towards the bottom it has what looks like a brand name. Does this look familiar to anyone?

[​IMG]

500Homeruns and bmoregnr like this.
  24. jon9091

Yes. Actually, I think it’s this...right off the VPI website.

[​IMG]

500Homeruns likes this.
  25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Good catch! It's hard to see with live action. I think I've seen them advertised, but I don't know the brand. At least he uses his system, unlike Sherlock on Elementary!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.