Shelby Lynne - Just A Little Lovin': coming on AP 200g LP and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mdekoning, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I may have missed it. Who mastered the SACD?

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I thought the SACD was mastered by Doug Sax also... I have the new AP QRP vinyl and it mentions Doug Sax and Robert Hadley, so I have to assume the SACD is mastered by the same (probably done at the same time they cut the new LP).

3. I have only been able to listen to the SACD once, but here are my opinions:

1. The SACD is much lower in sound volume than the CD. I had to really crank up the volume to get a good listening level. When the SACD was finished playing, I put on the SACD of "Who's Next" and I thought that the speakers blew up from the high volume.
    2. The distortion in the vocals at 3:00 into the first song is gone.
    3. The bass seems to be toned down in comparison to the CD. However, this could be due to my SACD player.
    4. The vocals seem to be more forward in the mix in comparison to the CD. Which in a way is too bad because the band is excellent.
    5. There is greater clarity in the individual instruments which results in more 'air' around each instrument (less smearing of instruments together). in fact, the entire musical presentation seems to have more clarity.

I agree with audiomixer, the SACD is different from the CD. Not hands-down better, just different. However, I am glad that I bought it and I will probably listen to the SACD instead of the CD.

Remy likes this.
  4. georgecostanza

georgecostanza Active Member

I was indifferent at first but after the 10 minutes realised I was being drawn into the music much more then the CD ever did. Even the gf commented how good it sounds !

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Long live Shelby Lynne!

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Ok, I gave in and ordered the Shelby Lynne along with two Holly Cole. KG mastered the Cole I think, but who did the Lynne?

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Sax?

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm listening to the SACD and the volume is definitely very low. I have the volume at 0dB which I never go that loud with any music. I might go as high a -7.5dB but nothing close to 0dB. The SQ is very good with Shelby's vocals presented quite well. The bass on Breakfast In Bed is quite good and the slide guitar is great as well. The liner notes indicate that Doug Sax and Robert Hadley did the mastering. I don't have the Just a Little Lovin' RBCD for comparison but I'm very happy with this SACD :).

Bill

SteelyTom likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Just got this on vinyl. My copy is close to perfect. A series of slight pops on the first track were evident on the first play, but seem to be gone. I had never heard this album until now. It sounds amazing, especially in the isolated instruments and vocals against a black background. I read about some earlier problems, so perhaps this has been repressed. This will be a demo disc for my system.

10. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Just picked this up. Expensive - but beautiful sound, beautiful music, perfectly quite flat vinyl.

Demo material.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The 45 rpm is a great sounding release. I can't directly compare it with the 33 rpm version I bought a couple years ago because I seem to have mysteriously misfiled or misplaced it. The 45 seems to have a deeper sense of presence to the best of my recollection. The 33 rpm copy I got also was one of the few QRP LPs I got that had some noise issues as well. The quality control on this one seems to be on par with what we've come to expect from QRP. I think this will represent the definitive version of this album. Not cheap by any stretch but I'm certainly glad to have it.

GreatTone likes this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Probably will pass unless someone tells me that it is significantly better than the 33. But, either way, this is a great sounding album, and AP did an amazing job. I recently acquired the clear vinyl Lost Highway pressing (as part of the anniversary box set) and it does not compare.

14. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I assume the back cover is the same, what's inside the gatefold?

15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I can't remember exactly what the back cover was on the 33. The cover is of the same quality as other AP 45 rpm releases. Inside this gatefold is a full length picture of Shelby in a black hip length sweater dress type thing. It's a good picture. She can look damn good when she wants to.

groovelocked likes this.
  16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

17. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

The 45rpm is significantly better than the 33 -- IF you appreciate/enjoy what 45rpm brings to the table. Sound is bigger, more solid, more dimensional. But it's basically the same sound-wise. I happen to really like what 45rpm does for sound, so to me it's a big upgrade. I know others don't find as much difference, and that's ok too.

My pressing was close to perfect, which music this spare really needs. The only quibble on mine is one of the discs has an oversized center hole, so I had to find the actual center by hand, after wondering why the acoustic guitar sounded so out of tune on one side. I'm finding that on a good percentage of QRP records these days. I don't know if it's their solution to off-center pressings -- just make the hole bigger and let the listener figure it out. Not a huge deal, but still. Yeah, it's vinyl, so there's always some problem, even if it's small. However, my records were nicely flat and so quiet I would use them as demos for people who think vinyl is inherently noisy -- it's hard to tell there's anything playing in the silent parts.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Bought the 45 RPM. It is stunning. That is some kinda bass.

Alex Zabotkin and GreatTone like this.
  19. mdekoning

mdekoning Senior Member Thread Starter

How's the pressing quality on the 45 RPM? The 33 RPM was thrashed on this board for its horrible pressing quality, so I ended up getting the SACD instead. Is this any better?

20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

The 33 rpm pressing I received was not thrashed, and sounded good enough to me to not want or need the 45 rpm.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  21. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

The momentary distortion that appears on the first track at about 3 minutes in on the CD version, is also present on my 45rpm copy. I am wondering if it is on all the vinyl versions, but digital edited for the SACD (as I believe it does not appear on that version)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.