Sheldon Leonard on the TV audience (TV Guide, 1965)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

SHELDON LEONARD

[​IMG]

"You'll notice most successful shows take place in a home. People watch television in their living room and seem unwilling to be transported anywhere but to another living room.

He said this living room-to-living room connection established close relationships between members of the TV audience and TV performers, even though the two groups never meet. Leonard said television stars are not held in frightened awe as are movie and stage stars.

"I was in Miami with Dick Van Dyke last year when he was spotted by some fans. They march over and talked to him like he was an old friend. They asked him to pose for pictures and I'm sure they would have been made if he hadn't done so.

"If Dick were a movie star – like Cary Grant, maybe – I'm sure most people would simply gawk at him from a distance. But a TV personality is someone you've had in our living room. Someone, if you will, you've had a beer with."​

Steve...O likes this.
  2. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

And then there are those stars invited in the living room we might at least be wary of, if not held in frightened awe by some. But I love the Honeymooners!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.