Shellac/Vinyl from 1900 onward now mine - where do I look to for help?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GMcGilli, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident Thread Starter

Simply, I've recently inherited my dads record collection. I've grown up 'seeing' this collection - and I've looked through it when I was younger but wasn't really into vinyl then, or my dad's taste in music. Anyways, I know that he had inherited his dad's collection previously. I've looked at shellac records in there from at least the year 1900 - i remember the labels on it. There might be ones from earlier.

It's a massive collection. There is a 45 jukebox (the one from the tv show Happy Days) in the house. There are also two 78 crank arm record players built into wooden cabinets. There was reel to reel and wire recorders but I can't find those right now.

The music I know it was mostly all rock and roll and Doo-Wop from my dad in the 40/50's, and not sure about his dad.

The reason I'm putting this out there is - I don't know much about this collection - and we've had my dads friends constantly saying they'd be happy to take them off our hands. I'd like to know if there's anywhere online that's a great resource for searching all of the records - and what they might be worth.

Is Discogs the best? I've only used it for more modern stuff - I don't know if it's for collectors of vinyl over 100 years old etc. Thanks.

PS. when I get around to transporting it all over here (could be a month or more) - if anyone's interested let me know and I'd be happy to start a thread with with photos of anything possibly super old or rare if it's of interest to anyone.

2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Wow. Thats going to be some undertaking. You might want to investigate some software that converts pictures to text, the idea being you could take a picture of every record label, and let the software list the text. That *has* to be faster than writing down the info. good luck!!

GMcGilli likes this.
  3. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Discogs and eBay is how I sorted through my 78s. There are some that are worth a fortune, e.g. Robert Johnson, but most aren't worth anything.

GMcGilli likes this.
  4. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

GMcGilli likes this.
  5. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

You may want to have a reputable, professional dealer appraise the collection... Even so, it would be just one person's opinion.

About the shellac: pre-war blues records are often valuable, and some uncommon jazz items from the Prohibition era (1920-1933). Of what were then called 'Race Records', these labels are some of the rarest:

Ajax (Canadian company, New York recordings)
    Autograph
    Black Patti
    Blu-Disc
    Meritt

...among the best series:

Broadway 5000-5111
    Brunswick 7000-7233
    Columbia 13000D-13007D and 14000D-14680D
    OKeh 8000-8966
    Paramount 12000-13157
    Perfect 100-335
    Victor V-38000 series
    Vocalion 1000-1745

Also, on Gennett:

Bix and His Rhythm Jugglers
    Hoagy Carmichael and His Pals
    Duke Ellington
    Ferd 'Jelly Roll' Morton
    King Oliver and His Creole Jazz Band

Paully, crispi and GMcGilli like this.
  6. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll have this printed out by my side, thanks so much.

Everyone else too, thanks!

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.