Sherlock Holmes Granada Series Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by floydfan, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought the US Blu-ray box set of the Sherlock Holmes Granada series with Jeremy Brett a while ago and decided to watch the episode "The Problem Of Thor Bridge" since it's one of my favorites and I was curious how well it looked. The video is very nice but there seems to be a weird problem with the audio in what I can only describe as a volume flutter effect or panning effect in certain parts of the dialog all throughout the episode. Has anyone who has this set or the Spanish Blu-ray noticed this? I briefly checked the episode preceding it and couldn't detect the same behavior.

2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Dang, I upgraded from DVD to Blu but haven't watched any of it yet.

3. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

There is no problem with the Spanish Blu-ray. I just watched the episode in question.

4. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I'm hoping someone with the US Blu-ray can check. I don't know if it will be as detectable through speakers but I was using headphones and it was really evident and annoying. I'm just wondering if the problem exists on all the sets or mine is defective.

5. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I only have the DVD set so I can't verify the problem, but if there's more than one audio option on the BD (like stereo, DD, DD mono, etc.), you could check to see if the problem is evident on all of the audio tracks.

6. Edward Heck

Edward Heck Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is old news as I am newer to the forum. I received the Granada Complete Sherlock Holmes as a 2017 Christmas gift. ($100 at Amazon). It is the blu-ray version. I just recently got the time to start watching. I have a 2 year old Samsung Blu-ray player that has played Blu-ray disks with the coveted high definition picture with no troubles. For some reason, there is, for lack of better words, an annoying amount of "noise" in the video. As a try at a further better description, it is very grainy, and at times, more like a TV picture from old days when a signal would fade from using old roof-top TV antennae. There are other shorter instances where the "noise" is absent and the picture quality is superb. Thinking I was making a good faith gesture, I contacted MPI Home Video and explained as I have here. They actually did reply: Sorry we no longer have the rights to this item. So we would not be able to comment." Yes, I can go back to Amazon for a replacement, but I'm really not up for finding the same problem. Please tell me I'm not the only person with video noise problems with the disks. BTW, my audio, from the first 3 disks, seems fine. Thanks for anyone who takes the time to reply.

7. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

When you say the picture is grainy, can you provide a specific episode and time marker? That way we can compare with our own copies.

Since this series was shot on film, there will be film grain that is noticeable from time to time... probably more during certain scenes than others. But it shouldn't look like a signal fade from an old TV.

8. Edward Heck

Edward Heck Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll grab a moment over the weekend and find an episode and time marker. I'd be glad to attach a picture if I can manage a shot that makes the distortion noticeable as I've described. Can photos be attached here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.