Sherwood stereo receiver with phono input on sale at Radio Shack for $99.99

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. woody

woody Forum Resident

says out of stock, but looks like a pretty good buy.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The hardware snob response to this ought to be pretty entertaining.

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I have seen this Sherwood at Radio Shack. It's quite sturdily build. This receiver has evolved over the last couple of years, from having only spring clips for speaker terminals and no phono pre-amp to its current version. Sherwood's upscale brand, Sherwood Newcastle, also sell a similar version at close to $250.00.

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

A good bargain, no question, ideal for entry level, but if you can save for a little longer and aim a little higher, better performance can be had for not much more money.

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Onkyo is currently offering a refurbished 50 watts/channel stereo receivers with phono pre-amp and binding posts at about the same price (after the $10.00 discount you received for signing up with the company). The 100 watts/channel version is at $150.00. I owned the previous version of the 100 watts/channel model (the TX-8511) and it was an excellent sounding piece of component....right up there with my Cambridge Audio A500 integrated amp.

For those who want to check what they're buying, the Sherwood and the 2 Onkyo receivers are available at Circuit City.

Rockos likes this.
  7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It won't require me to refinance my home and take out an audio loan. It's obviously crap! :laugh:

8. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

:biglaugh:

9. BradOlson

Do the zip code search for the product and check if it is claimed to be in stock in your area.

10. BooYaa!

BooYaa! New Member

I think the sale is over but ShopOnkyo was selling the TX-8522 (refurbed) for $124 shipped last week if you joined ClubOnkyo (which is free to join.) You can find them as cheap as ~$215 shipped online or ~$270 at CC.

11. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Sherwood Receiver $100
    Oppo 980 SACD/DVDA player $170
    Audio Technica AT-LP2DA $90

A pair of $100 speakers and we have a $500 system.

- Sushimaster

12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I think the refurbished TX-8522 is currently going for $150.00 shipped at Club Onkyo. Still an awesome deal.

BTW, here's a link to the Sherwood Newcastle stereo receiver, which is very similar to the "standard" Sherwood stereo receiver.

13. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I fully support any system that gets someone to actually listen to music again. There is always time to upgrade later. No snobbery from me.....

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

That's what I was thinking of assembling....

Sherwood stereo receiver $100.00
    Oppo 980 uni player $170.00
    Monitor Audio Bronze B2 monitors $250.00/pair

Total $520.00

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I just spent $150 on a vintage NAD amp. That's my price range right now. Wish I could afford a Mark Levinson Reference Series amp, but I can't stop spending money on food, gas, and records. If I'd known about this Sherwood, I would have seriously considered it.

16. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

It's those Blue Notes huh ? ;)

Thanks Brad for listing this great deal :)

17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

so how do you listen to your records?

;o)

18. BradOlson

Phish, this Sherwood linked via Radio Shack has a phono input and one just has to select Phono.

19. BradOlson

2 of my speakers are now using Eminence drivers which provide a very clear professional sound for limited funds, so even with this Sherwood, one can actually get very clear audio.

20. phish

phish Jack Your Body

that is pretty sweet. from what i have gathered, it's not a standard on most receivers (normal stuff).

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

22. phish

phish Jack Your Body

hellz yes.

23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The Sherwood 4109 receiver is the first recent Sherwood stereo receiver to offer the phono pre-amp. The 4109's predecessors, the 4103 4105 and 4107, didn't offer phono pre-amps.

24. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Or even intro...

I was thinking this might be an excellent system for little kids. Budding audiophiles. If they mess up the needle on the AT tonearm, oh well...At least they will get some hands on experience playing records, and learning how to use the counterweights and such.

When I was young, my dad wouldn't even let me go near the record player for fear I would mess up the stylus or something of the like. I might have gotten into this vynil hobby a lot earlier now that i think about it.

A $500 system might be too light for us big folks, but for younger people, it sure beats those mini systems at Walmart.

- Sushimaster

25. BradOlson

When I get this receiver, I will move a minisystem stereo that only the radio and cassette deck work out of one of the bedrooms, plug in the HT receiver as a 2 channel stereo only for radio in my mother's bedroom which she never sleeps in, and hook up a couple of minisystem speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.