Sheryl Crow: The Videos not Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by therockman, Apr 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Despite what the cover of the new DVD of Sheryl Crow's The Videos indicates, this disc is not in dolby digital. The cover indicates very clearly, "Dolby AC-3, 2.0" but the sound is instead in a much higher resolution PCM 16 bit/44,1 khz. This disc sounds beautiful in CD quality sound, and I am very glad that they did not convert it into the highly compressed dolby digital like the package says. The picture quality is stunning, and I highly recommend this disc for its awsome sound and picture.

2. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

As Martha would say;
    IT"S A GOOD THING!
    I'm buying it!!!

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I would think that 16/44.1 would actually be 24/48!
    As we were told, DVD sound quality would be BETTER than CD.
    Too badd, that did not hold up for the lossy DD & DTS formats.

4. therockman

Big Ed, I think that you are compareing apples and oranges. 16/ 24 is a a pure PCM audio signal as is 24/ 48. Dolby digital is a lossy encodeing process that encodes the PCM audio signal into a compressed file known as AC-3.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The version with a few less tracks that comes in the 2-disc package of the greatest hits CD was DD 2.0 (192 kHz IIRC). It sounds pretty bad to my ears, but not just (or even mostly) because of lossy data compression. It sounds like some of the high and low frequencies were rolled off. I have heard some DVDs done in DD2.0 at similar bitrates that have sounded pretty great, but this is not one of them.

Regards,

6. therockman

Ken, There is no such a thing as a DVD video with 192 khz resolution. 192 khz is a PCM signal that is only found on DVD-As, all dolby digital is a lossy AC-3 encoded signal. But all that aside, this new Sheryl Crow DVD sounds simply stunning in a pure PCM signal stream, the highs are crystal clear and the bottom is tight, not mushy. It is a great disc, and like I said earlier, the picture quality is simply stunning. I picked mine up at Wal Mart for $11.88 (minus my 10% employee discount, $10.68 total).

7. Ken_McAlinden

I meant kbps, but my typing fingers got confused

8. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

What do you think I am "comparing"?
    16/44.1 to 24/48?
    No.
    I'm saying, the DVD is most likely 24/48.
    Not, 16/44.1.
    Or, are you telling me;
    A 24/48 is AC-3 DD only, not LPCM?
    Thank's.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Most DVD-Vs with PCM tracks are 16 bit 48kHz. The DVD-V spec will allow them to go as high as 24/96, but this is rarely done. The PCM track on the James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater DVD is 24/48.

Regards,

10. therockman

Actually, no. 24/48 is LPCM, all dolby digital tracks are AC-3. Thus, the DVD can not be 24/48 dolby digital, because that is just like saying that a car is a Buick Ford. These are just not related in terms of technonlgy. But in relationship to the Sheryl Crow disc, it is a 16/44.1 and not a dolby digital (AC-3). This is a good thing, because dolby digital (AC-3) is a lossy compression encodeing standard, and the Sheryl Crow disc has the LPCM soundtrack.

But I have to agree with Big Ed, this whole hobby has gotten too confusing, with too many acronyms and abbriviations. In the old days there were just 2 abbriviations that I cared about, EP and LP.

11. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what my brain told me.
    Sooooooo, what's the apples to oranges thing?
    And, can anyone tell us the sample rates of this title?
    If it's 16/44.1 & ROCKS!!!
    That just proves how good LPCM (too me CD's were the most dissed audio format ever. 'People' seemed too show NO love for LPCM, till the first hint of HiRez appeared. That's when I first heard 'people' 'defend' LPCM) can be.
    Still, hope/believe, it's 24/48.
    I never bought a DAD. However, alway's thought well of those that took advantage of the DVD format. Must pick up ONE DAD. Probably, TAPP: I Robot.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Wait a sec, I thought that as part of the DVD standard, every disc had to have a Dolby Digital track in some form, be it 2.0.

13. therockman

You know what man, I thought that I had read that somewhere to, although right now I can't put my finger on it. (I will definately look for this info.) But anyway, I looked for an audio set up menu or something, but I could only access the LPCM audio track, I have found no dolby digital track. I have another disc like this, Madonna THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION. I have never found any dolby digital audio track on that disc, and the package of The Madonna DVD indicates "Linear PCM". So I really don't know what gives. I will attempt to find a written specification regarding "every DVD must have a dolby digital track."

14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Yeah, you heard 'right'!!!;-)
    Just that it's a either or thing. DD 2.0 OR LPCM.
    Very rare, too have JUST LPCM, however does show up on some 'music' DVD.
    At the Home Theater Forum site, which I pretty much 'done' with now that I found SHTV, there is a group of pro-(L)PCM mono & stereo soundtracks for movies crowd.
    Of coarse, the DD crowd shoot 'us' down. Butt hey, if you want the 'best', your going to catch some flack!!!

15. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Just a random note: DVD-video audio can't be 16/44.1, as DVDs don't use 44.1kHz as a sampling rate. 48kHz is far more likely.

16. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Thanks Dave!
    24/48 ROCKS!!!

17. therockman

Big Ed, I just don't understand your use of the English language. I read this post several times and I really have no clue what you are trying to say. The statement that:

"I thought that all DVDs had to include a dolgy digital audio track" is a clear enough statement.

But the statement, written by you, "Yeah you heard right, just it's an either or thing. DD2.0 or LPCM."
    What does this statement mean. If every DVD HAS TO HAVE A DOLBY DIGITAL AUDIO SOUNDTRACK, then it's not an either or thing. The logic of your statement is like saying that it is a Buick Ford. It can not possibly;

A, HAVE TO HAVE A DOLBY DIGITAL SOUNDTRACK,

AND

B, BUT IT IS AN EITHER OR THING.

If A is true, then by all logical reasoning B can not be true. You can not belong wholly to group A if there is a chance that you will not belong to group A but instead belong to group B at some points in time. The proposition does not make any logical sense.

I hope that you do not think that I am picking on you, but you have said several things in this thread were logocally contradictory, and I can't figure out what you are trying to say.

But to the heart of this matter about dolby digital. I looked in my book and found out that the DVD forum has stated that "Dolby Digital has been chosen as the surround-sound audio format for all North American DVDs with a surround-sound audio soundtrack." Thus, when there is only a stereo soundtrack, then I guess that the manufacturer has an option of Dolby Digital or LPCM. I will check my machine latter and see exactly what this Shery Crows DVD bit rate is.

18. Ken_McAlinden

All DVDs must have either a Dolby digital track or a PCM track to be compliant with the DVD standard. If you have a PCM track, you don't need a DD track to be compliant with the standard.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.