Sheryl Crow working on two new albums (for 2017 and beyond?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

an aside:

sheryl crow was recently on the sunday night game version of the match game????????

2. Marshman96

Marshman96 Forum Resident

"She wants fun, all she wants to do is have a real good time tonight all right"

3. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

Yes but let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

If Universal can do such "complete" boxes for artists like Andrea Bocelli, Rammstein, Maroon 5, Sting, etc., why not Sheryl?

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

lots and lots of one-offs for sheryl crow....for a while there she was all over the place.

The Panda and pghmusiclover like this.
  6. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

You know, I love Sheryl and been missing her a lot since her lastest LP (released 2013).
    I wonder if she'll compose and record tracks in the vein of her second or third albums? My favourite of hers.

Bonus track comment: She's also nailed a great Mississipi (released before Bob Dylan).

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think those are great albums (her 2nd and 3rd) so I hope so. :righton:

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  8. Claudio Dirani

9. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

That's all I needed. Count me in. Her 2nd album was amazing.

budwhite and Claudio Dirani like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

One of the best of the decade, IMO. :)

mj_patrick and Claudio Dirani like this.
  11. Claudio Dirani

that's my girl

12. Claudio Dirani

The cover is also bloody cool.

13. I think folks need to just let it go. Kevin was a tremendous talent and, if he had lived, I suspect he would have been over this by now.

LivingForever and pghmusiclover like this.
  14. pghmusiclover

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I thought she had announced with her last album that she become a country artist. I'm guessing that album didn't sell as well as expected and hence the "return" to her roots.

DHamilton and Porkpie like this.
  16. pghmusiclover

She talks about that in the article I posted above.

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Hmmmm. Maybe I'm cynical, but my take at the time was that she was trying to revive her career. Pop radio and album sales is a totally different world than what it was in her prime. So, I imagine she decided country was more similar to what she did and what she could successfully adapt to. So, she jumped on the bandwagon. Didn't work out. Sales were terrible. She's decided there no reason [career wise] to travel down a dead-end street. Okay. But her statement, "I gotta say that the country market is commerce at its most fully realized. Right now, I want to have an experience that feels detached from anything in commerce" seems to contradict a return in style to her most commercially successful period.

18. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Good, I'm all for that if it means an album full of catchy singles.

20. If she has some great songs this could be her best album in a very long time. Didn't really like her side steps into country and soul, so I'm very interested in hearing this one.

21. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

The best Sheryl Crow album I've heard since her first three is the Cardigans' "Long Gone Before Daylight".

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Love her version of Mississippi! Really enjoy the first three albums but diminishing returns ever after for me. The test of course will be the quality of the songwriting. We get so many classic artists talking of a return to the sound of.... whatever. It can sound as retro as you like but the songs are always the test.

23. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Definitely the first three, C'mon C'mon and Wildflower had their moments. The 2nd eponymous album is one i've meaning to dig out for a while now. Perhaps tomorrow. I do love that record. A nice double vinyl reissue would certainly be of interest to me.

Her version of Mississippi is very good.

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

What a surprise, I knew that country route wouldn't stick. It will be interesting to see whether her return to form is embraced by music buyers. I was a big Sheryl Crow fan in the 90s/early 00s but for some reason I think subliminaly I see her as something of a nostalgia act and haven't played her albums in years. I loved Globe Sessions but I remember my roommate and his girlfriend at the time were outraged she was referring to Eric Clapton as "greatest mistake"

25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Ahh, the outrage. It was Favorite Mistake, and she has performed it with EC.

Porkpie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.