"Shine a Light." Martin Scorsese's Rolling Stones' docu

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobo U2, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

2. Looks like someone we know!

3. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

One of the posters on that link said they should have called it "Night Of The Living Dead". I love the Stones but that's just damn FUNNY!

4. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I'm still laughin'.:laugh:

5. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Who's the jiggling blonde?

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was there for the Clinton Benefit Show, and the atmosphere at the show was not the best. For filming purposes, the front rows were dominated by paid extras -- generally young girls who were paid to act like they were hot for Mick; much of the floor was filled with camera equipment; and the Clinton invitees in the first tier were basically bored out of their skulls. That said, the Stones put on a wonderful performance, and unless they failed to capture it, Christina was terrific on "Live W/Me."

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Christina Aguilera -- as I said, the version of Live w/Me that she did just smoked.

8. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Mick's face kinda looks like "Is everybody seeing what I'm getting away with?"

Attached Files:

• 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      File size:
      35.4 KB
      Views:
  9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I just popped in the DVD. Didn't make it past the third song. I had to go to the credits and check who did the sound. Bob Clearmountain!:confused: I've never heard a Clearmountain mix I didn't like, until now. I played the DD5.1 and found it very anemic and shrill and there's an annoying thing where any time Ronnie or Keith appear on screen by themselves their guitar is jacked up 3 db. It then goes back to normal when the band shot resumes. Yikes!

Had to put in ZZ Top Live In Texas to "re-bottomize" my ears.

I forgot to add......the band sounds like crap. I don't get how they're still a big draw.

10. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Haven't picked up the DVD, but did see them at Radio City Music Hall in 2006 and at the Roseland Ballroom in 2002 and they were fantastic. They were both loose and tight, and the sound at both shows was terrific. I guess the old axiom applies: You had to be there. But if you don't like the Stones, then it won't matter. But those of us who do - and those of us who grew up with them going back a few decades - appreciate that they still have energy and bother to write new songs. Of course, they're not the same band as in '65 or '72, but its not a zero-sum game - one can still appreciate and enjoy what they do now.

I saw Bruce Springsteen the other night and he's what? - pushing 60, I'm not sure. He's also got a lot of on-stage energy, as you may know, but most of the 30 songs he played were among his chestnuts or were recorded well more than a decade ago. One could argue that's a tired act, or one could say its still fun and exciting. It all comes down to keeping one's ears open, so to speak.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I've heard the ZZ Top DVD also sounds bad. Is this the latest trend in music DVDs?

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's not superb, but has some bottom and an easy to listen to high end.

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I do like them up, mostly up to when Taylor left and a few Ronnie era ones. Nothing past Voodoo Lounge.

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Anyone have the Blu-ray? I would assume its DTS-HD. I saw the movie in IMAX in NYC and it was great.

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The movie to me seemed like a showcase for Mick and his rather amazing ability to still at (then) age 63 look and move like the Mick Jagger he has always been. He seems to be utterly inexhaustible. Musically or otherwise it told you nothing about the Stones you haven't already known for 30 years, though it was enjoyable to watch.

There is a great shot at the end of one song (Bitch?) where the camera zooms in on Charlie and he makes this funny "Whew, glad that's over" face.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They're mixing it from a movie sound point of view rather than a musical one. It worked in the theatre.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Bought it today at Best Buy. I was going to "price-match" Circuit City's $17.99. No need - it scanned at $13.99!
    A $29.99 list dvd for $13.99 is quite a deal - more than 50% off!

Oh yeah - watching it now - love it!

18. jsayers

"All Down The Line", actually. Classic!

19. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

The mix is the same as IMAX where the instrument on the screen is dominate in the mix. Lot's of cuts and for me in works to a great effect. I thought Clearmountain kept it raw.

DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 & Dolby True HD 5.1 I really enjoyed watching this at home tonight on Blu Ray in 1080 and It sounds great to me. Yea I'm a biased Stones fan anyway.

"She Was Hot" is a example how well this 40 plus year old band can rock in the pocket with a raw vibrancy other bands could only hope to ever attain.

There are many moments from Charlies 'phew' moment to Keith in the behind the scenes featurette. The Film was captured with different cameras and that creates the personality of this film. Good job Marty. This is one for the ages.

j3brow likes this.
  20. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I bought the Blu-ray over my lunch break and came back and read your short review--my excitement was only temporarily diminished, however. I liked the movie in the theater and I still like it at home. The Blu-ray video quality is superb and all of the extras are also in HD. While the audio isn't reference quality, the DTS-MA track is very good. It just doesn't sound thin or shrill to me at all. As for extras, there are four additional songs not shown in the theatrical version. Finally, there is a "featurette," which I really enjoyed--Keith, Mick and Ronnie are noodling on their acoustic guitars to Wild Horses, Factory Girl, and a few other numbers. Really entertaining stuff. Too bad there isn't more of it. My advice: if you liked the movie and have a Blu-ray setup, pick this one up. If you didn't see the movie in the theater or don't have Blu-ray, rent it and make up your own mind.

21. serge

serge Forum Resident

great..what didn't you like?

22. jsayers

There are so many fantastic moments in this film - The Stones swarming around Buddy Guy, Keith playing to Charlie or Bobby Keyes, always "giving the player some"..Mick's harmonica playing on the Buddy Guy track...

I love this dvd. As for the previous poster's complaints about the sound quality, I don't hear it. Sounds great to me, and I can't wait until I upgrade to 5.1 someday - something to look forward to!

$13.99 at Best Buy - fantastic deal, imho.

23. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

worked VERY well in the theatre! :)

24. jsayers

Sounds good RIGHT HERE at home! You guys that are whining about the sound are trippin'! <or have super high-end systems and are fussy as hell>

Fantastic looking and sounding film. Glad I picked it up. Two thumbs up from me. I'm surprised there's not more comments since it streeted today. Oh well.

25. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Excellent rock film! I love the performances of "Sympathy" and "You Got the Silver."

:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.