Shirley's Wild Accordion - produced by John Lennon!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wollensack, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac Thread Starter

This is a nice bonus from the upcoming re-issue of the MMT film. The rumored yelps from Paul and drumming from Ringo are not present in this mix (unless that's Ringo doing the tapping in the background.)

http://soundcloud.com/andrevgardner/swa_2012

2. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Excellent!!

3. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Great footage.

Will this tune be among the bonus material for the upcoming Magical Mystery Tour DVD release? And is it credited as a Lennon/McCartney composition? Or is it credited to Shirley ("Shirley Evans")? Arnie

5. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I honestly don't know, I've heard the footage here isn't even on the DVD?

6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I've seen this title around for a long time, but it never appeared in the film, so how did people know about it?

7. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

There's some good info on the tune here.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/10...editing-blue-jay-way-shirleys-wild-accordion/

excerpt: Shirley's Wild Accordion was a Lennon-McCartney composition, although it wasn't officially a Beatles recording. It featured Shirley Evans on accordion, accompanied by her musical partner and then husband Reg Wale on percussion. Paul McCartney played maracas and yelled "Go on, Shirl!", while Ringo Starr played drums.

8. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Trivia for folks in the UK... Reg Wale wrote and performed the theme tune to the 1970s TV cookery show Farmhouse Kitchen. There.

9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

10. Arnold Grove

I know it has always been rumored to have been "written" by John and Paul. BUT I was wondering if the new DVD lists that instrumental tune in the credits as a "Lennon-McCartney" composition. It seems simple enough for John and Paul to have written quickly, but maybe it was really just an improvised tune by Shirley Evans. So maybe she is credited. But if the song/footage is not on the DVD as any bonus material, we might not truly know. Arnie

11. Jose Jones

In looking at Lewisohn's book right now, he states that "[it was] not even released on record because the song was used solely as incidental music in the Magical Mystery Tour film."

But is that true? Was this piece of music actually included in the final print of MMT? It doesn't sound like the accordion music being played in the drunken sing-a-long on the coach scene in the film.

I'm thinking this is like the Nat Jackley scene---cut from the film but somehow still credited at the end, maybe because they didn't want to have to bother with re-doing the credits.

12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I used to see this title, along with "Jesse's Dream", on bootleg listings back in the eighties when I first learned about the existence of such things. The two titles ceased to appear on boots after proper out takes and unreleased material started to surface at the end of the eighties. I never made it a point to find these tracks.

Natural E likes this.
  13. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I first heard of the title in Roy Carr/Tony Tyler's The Beatles: An Illustrated Record, published in the 70's.

Natural E likes this.
  14. Jose Jones

IMO, "Jessie's Dream" is an incredible, spooky piece of music that should have appeared on Anthology II instead of 2, not-very-different takes of "The Fool On The Hill". I think all of the incidental music from MMT is fascinating and little-known or appreciated.

Natural E likes this.
  15. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Jessie's Dream I think is the music that accompanies John in his "spaghetti scene" had it on a boot, or at least a friend did and I put it on cassette.

16. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Yeah, a full sound track maybe YSS style with remixes and incidental music would be cool

Natural E likes this.
  17. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I have always loved the instrumental versions of "She Loves You" and "All My Loving".
    Not forgetting the few bars of instrumental "Magical Mystery Tour" right after "Blue Jay Way'.

Who performed them? Is it the George Martin Orchestra?

Natural E likes this.
  18. It doesn't sound improvised. It sounds quirky (as in 1967-Lennon-Mac quirky), yet with a structure. Of course who knows if Mrs. Evans couldn't actually improvise a structure?

The text linked to above has it that John & Paul dictated or played their ideas to a third party who wrote (notated) them down for Shirley to play.

It's good anyway! And thanks to the OP for sharing this!

19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yes, the credits for 'Shirley's Wild Accordion' are listed as Lennon/McCartney, published by Sony/ATV Music.

20. Arnold Grove

Just to make sure: Is this credited as a Lennon/McCartney on the new DVD? And is the instrumental among the bonus DVD material? Thanks, Arnie

21. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yes, credited on the new DVD/Blu-Ray release. And yes, it's included as bonus, since it's the musical background provided for the new "fish and chips" outtake as seen above.

22. Jose Jones

Do you have the actual Blu-Ray in hand yet?

Let's change that to we hope it is included and it would be logical for it be included.....because the press release which details all the bonus material included in this new reissue doesn't specifically mention this fish n chip outtake nor Shirley's Wild Accordion.

I hope it is included, obviously, but you never know with Apple.

23. Arnold Grove

Thanks for verifying. That's good news. Another "Lennon/McCartney" tune finally sees the light of day officially. Arnie

Natural E likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Oh... So we now need a second verification for Shirley's Wild Accordion just to make sure. It's getting confusing. Arnie

25. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Which one is precisely included on the DVD ?
    The mono accordion piece which is heard during the fish n' chips sequence, or the longer, studio-quality stereo version which was posted yesterday?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.