`Shopping Craigslist for used Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bdfin, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Limited budget, so which IF ANY of these seem to be a decent TT, which one would you suggest. I would by a new cartridge for any of them. Are any decent deals or overpriced.

Technics SL-DD22 100.00
    SL 2000 200.00
    SL 1900 325.00 ( serviced and lubed ) seems high even with service.
    Denon DP 35F 200.00
    All of them appear to be in good to great condition.......looking at the photos....
    Opinions.

2. Keith Boleen

Keith Boleen New Member

I've always heard anything pre-1990 Technics is very good. Apparently after 1990 the quality took a hit. I was extremely lucky; I found a Realistic LAB turntable from 1983 which was made by Technics and while it's no premium turntable it's still outstanding.

3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I think the DD22 is a P-mount, so because you have the other choices I would avoid that one. Not a technical problem but P-mount carts are a much more limited selection or cause extra hassle.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

5. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Those ARs look nice depending on their condition. I'd stay away from the Regas and their wobbly platters.
    YMMV.

6. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You could say the same thing for Pro-Ject and their motor hum/buzz/rumble and ground issues.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You might want to post an actual link to your CL to see if you missed something.

Also, does your existing receiver have a phono stage or do you already have a separate one? If no on both you will need to add that to the shopping list.

9. bdfin

Bueller likes this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@bdfin, did you only search for Technics and Denon?

Or did you also look for other old Japanese brands as well?

This is what I mean about missing things that are right there on your CL.

11. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Thanks for your comment. I'm not familier enough with Project to comment on them. I am with Regas.

12. bdfin

It was a travel thing....the ones I chose were considerably closer with no major travel hassles. I don't live in a major metro area.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd try to find out what kind of servicing was done on the SL 1900, what cartridge it comes with, and whether any guarantee is offered. The price is high at face value.

The SL 2000 might be worth a look if it is problem free. I'd try to talk the seller down to $150 if it is a used deck in average condition that needs a new cart or anything else.

If you could grab the SL DD22 a little cheaper, might be worth picking up, assuming that all it needs is a new p-mount cartridge, and you are comfortable with the limitations of a p-mount turntable (limited cart choice).

If the Denon is one of the models with a servo arm, I'd be leery and likely pass, just more complexity that becomes more a of PITA when things go wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.