Shortest creative phase in a long career

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Also, on the Robbie Robertson sub-thread here, the reviews of all of Robbie's solo albums were always split between the believers and those who didn't find him viable as a solo artist (e.g. weak voice). While I own and appreciate his solo work, I definitely can understand Peter's point. Robertson's solo work definitely polarizes listeners.

2. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Great posts Proufo and Ron.

Ray MAY get there but will anyone be listening?

He has been writing and recording his first solo studio album for over 2 years now and it's still not out. Has he lost confidence? Is he burdened by his status and the expectations of long time fans (like me).

I actually sensed the rot setting into his songwriting on Muswell Hillbillies. Suddenly there was too heavy a reliance on standard chord patterns, particularly 12 bar. Still it was a fine album.

The stadium rock stuff from Low Budget onwards, when Ray developed the vocal screach, is enjoyable but nothing more.

Phobia is a complete mystery! The two new tracks on To The Bone to which Proufo refers are sadly lacking in melody.

In the end I think Ray was of his time, as is the case with many aging pop stars/musicians. Even when he writes a song with a melody as strong as his sixties material, eg Did Ya, it sounds terribly tired, contrived and dated today.

So what can the poor guy do? The Storyteller concept is probably the best we should expect.

As Bogart said "We'll always have Paris."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.