Should AF release Triumph - Allied Forces as a Gold CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjstauber, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

If AF would chose Allied Forces.... Kevin Gray would do the mastering ;)

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't care if you do it as long as it rocks. :righton:

3. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Prefer a Yamaha..........

4. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

Is that because of the label? Or what is the logic?

5. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I voted Yes... this has always been my favorite Triumph record.

6. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I voted Yes, but I'd rather hear Just a Game more so.

7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

An SACD would be nice ;)

8. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Now that album is a masterpiece!

StaffInfection likes this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I vote for Classics.

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It's a good album, but I would not buy an AF / gold CD of it.

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm an AF fan and a Triumph fan.
    But combining the two just doesn't sound quite right.
    Not sure it would be worth the effort, especially Allied Forces.
    Now their S/T Canadian debut would be a different story but that'll never happen.

12. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I think the the Canadian Rock n Roll Machine and the American version are the only two Triumph lps that have really stood the test of time.
    Will never tire of those albums

13. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I think they hold up through Allied Forces, and there are bits of the next few (Never Surrender and Thunder 7), but it's slow downhill really after AF.

14. ModernDayWarrior

If any Triumph album would get released by AF, Classics would probably be the best candidate IMO.

15. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

Roland, what are your preferred CD versions for Just A Game and Progressions Of Power? I have the first generation MCAs of these but Just A Game has a particular inferior mastering, as the guitars are totally buried. Did MCA do a second, non remastered pressing of these remixed? I remember having those second versions on cassette. Also I'm pretty sure Rock And Roll Machine was available as a first generation non remastered MCA CD with a track listing matching the American version of the vinyl. I want to get these on CD but I'm not sure if the 1995 versions on TRC records are remastered or not. They seem to be the only ones available as the MCA pressings are very scarce. Please help me out. And I'm all for a AF Gold of Allied Forces although I prefer Just A Game as my favorite Triumph record.

16. Redhat220

17. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I remember those first pressing CD's as being pretty bad. I had those albums on vinyl and cassette and when they came out on CD I grabbed them but immediately thought they sounded bad, although it's been so long I can't remember the specifics. They were bad enough that after the Purge and I bought a car w/o a cassette deck I think I just stopped listening to Triumph until I got back into vinyl...

18. rjstauber

I have the Japanese CD editions on TRC Records with PSCW-53xx catalog numbers, and those sound good to me. The dynamics are not compromised on those (DR13), I think they were mastered by Bob Ludwig. In fact, I had the chance to buy a German vinyl pressing of "Just a Game" on the Bellaphon label recently, and I passed on it because it sounded clearly inferior to this CD version. I am assuming that an original US or Canadian pressing would sound better than that German Bellaphon pressing, but still, I think these CD's sound good.

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I voted yes because I LOVE this album. However, from a sound quality standpoint I always thought it sounded good. I have original vinyl, original CD and the HdTracks. Thunder Seven would actually be a better candidate IMO to improve upon sound quality.

20. rjstauber

How is the HDtracks version compared to the vinyl? I have an early US pressing, mastered by RL I think. It sounds better than the old CD.

21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Believe it or not I have yet to do a direct a/b comparison. The HdTracks does sound very good though, great soundstage. Better than the original cd for sure - those two, I did compare.

22. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I voted yes but if I could pick one Triumph for AF to remaster, it would be Just A Game.

23. Redhat220

Thanks Roland, I'm tracking down the 95 TRC versions but I'm going with the US versions, as the Japanese pressings are pretty salty price wise. I wonder if there is a difference between the US pressings and the Japanese versions? I went back through some threads and did notice that Allied Forces and Never Surrender are the same mastering or close for the original MCA's and the '95 TRC's.

24. StaffInfection

StaffInfection Forum Resident

Yes. I'd buy any AF Triumph release. By the way, Thunder Seven is my favorite Triumph album.

25. ModernDayWarrior

I would buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.