Should Cher be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr. Fernando, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's the thing: she's not an album artist. She's a singles artist. And, if she wasn't a favorite of music fans, how did she manage all that chart success?

Nostaljack likes this.
  2. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I've said it before, though a little more crudely, that they should just change the name of the institution and induct anyone and everyone. Cease existence beyond anything other than as a general music museum.

patel kismet likes this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think an argument can be made because of the longevity, but her singles hits came only once every decade or so. In between, she released a lot of music that few purchased (at the time; perhaps they are selling now). She had those three no. 1 hits at the beginning of the 70's - Gypsies/Half Breed/Dark Lady, when the Sonny & Cher Show was at its peak. After that, she vanished into the Warner stable, but had some minor disco hits in the late 70's. On the 70's output alone, she's probably a bit behind acts like KC and the Sunshine Band, Tony Orlando & Dawn, America and The Captain & Tenille, none of whom would be considered Hall-worthy. Of course, unlike those other acts, Cher made a brief comeback around ten years later, with a handful of hits on Geffen and a great movie ballad "After All" with Peter Cetera. She then disappeared (at least in the US) for another decade or so until the late 90's when "Believe" hit the charts (which was one of the biggest singles ever released).

Her hit singles wouldn't fill one CD, so I think that she falls short. But, because of the longevity, the two Sonny & Cher hits (does the Hall count those?), and the fact that she's probably the oldest female artist ever to top the charts (I can't think of too many who've done so over the age of 50 - Elton, Santana, anyone else?), I think it's a close call.

4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Bet nobody would've thought that this thread would go out to 18 pages!

Syd Avett and Nostaljack like this.
  5. Grant

Should Cher be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame?

I don't know if you're looking at chart stats, playing of a faulty memory, or just guessing, but you are mistaken about what she did. You also appear to have no knowledge about her greatest hits CDs.

Jod and Nostaljack like this.
  6. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

It's crazy to me we're even comparing Cher and Madonna. I'm not really a fan of either, but Madonna is freaking huge. Her sound is unique and she changed artistically with the times. Maybe I just don't know enough about Cher, I guess.

7. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

You can't. LOL!!

I'll give you that she hasn't had the number of hits Madonna's had and that's it, really. The rest? Way off.

Ed

Grant likes this.
  8. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

Pretty simple ..... NO !

bluejimbop likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was going from memory, although I probably own more of her records than most "fans". I think I've got everything from the seventies, including the Warner releases, a few on white label promos.

But my memory is probably faulty. And I guess I have no knowledge about her greatest hits CD's. Sorry about that.

10. Grant

Thing is, her career spans four or five record labels, not even including ATCO with Sonny, and four decades.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The only way to be excluded from the Hall is to have recorded for Dunhill or to have worked with Lou Adler. Being none of the above makes Cher a certainty.

12. Grant

Where did you get your information? You are so wrong!

The Mamas and the Papas were inducted in 1998. They were signed by Lou Adler for his Dunhill Records.

Carole King was inducted in 1990. She was on Lou Adler's Ode Records from 1971-1976. That was her biggest hit-making era.

Nostaljack likes this.
  13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Johnny Rivers, Jan & Dean, Three Dog Night, Grass Roots, PF Sloan etc. Carole and the Mamas got in in spite of their Dunhill connection.

14. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

If you think her albums are that poor I would only be too happy to relieve you of all these white label Warner promos. PM me if you're interested in selling them. These are among my favourite records. And yes, to me she's an album artist. Most of my favourite Cher songs are deep album cuts. That's where the magic lives.

Jod likes this.
  15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Aside from 1975-1977 Cher show with all the legendary duets she did (Bowie, Tina etc) and a Gene Simmons sex tape (just kiddin') my dream is to get her 1974 private show with Bob Dylan released. It was Geffen's birthday party and I'm sure it was recorded. Dylan is in the record saying that nobody sang his songs like Cher in the 60's and it would be interesting to hear them together. A 1976-1977 concert with Gregg Allman would be killer too.

[​IMG]

Jod likes this.
  16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Lou, Britt, David, Cher, Jack and Anjelica: One of us ain't getting into no Hall of Fame.

17. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Where are you getting that?

Ed

Grant likes this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Dunhill and Dunhill Productions must have the lowest chart hit to Hall of Fame nominations out of any label. Jan Berry and Johnny Rivers should have been in in their first year of eligibility. There's more to this than meets the eye.

19. Grant

Again, where do you get your information?

If at least one got in, then your initial statement cannot be true.

20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I see that Peter Green ( on the left) reinvented himself as a record company executive and no one ever noticed.

21. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Cher became a clown, too much plastic surgery.

patel kismet likes this.
  22. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Cher might be an acquired taste (I'm not a fan of the dance music), but she has made her mark on the music industry. She started her career nearly 20 years before Madonna's unfortunate arrival on the scene. If the Hall of Fame found room for a glorified karaoke singer like Madonna nearly ten years ago I'm sure they have space for a legend like Cher.

Syd Avett and Gregory Earl like this.
  23. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I think she and Debbie Harry were neck and neck around '98 or so, at least in the UK. In the US, "Believe" went #1 on US Billboard Hot 100 , whereas "Maria" did much less well- #14 US Adult Top 40 (Billboard) . Although Cher's career is over ten years longer than Harry's, and she has been much more commercially successful in the US-she is actually younger by about a year.

Say It Right likes this.
  24. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Jan Berry had the misfortune to have a partner who is still regarded as having materially aided in kidnapping Frank Sinatra's kid. And the Sinatra Family still wields serious juice-ask the poor bastard who accidentally ran into Jilly Rizzo over twenty years ago. He's still in the slammer. The Sinatras petitioned the parole board to not parole him, despite the fact he would have been out in five had Rizzo not been Frank's best friend.

Dean Torrence got the Leni Riefenstahl treatment-career banishment. Now, was he actually guilty? I don't know. I have no position on the matter.

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

But he still got to do artwork for all the major labels. Every blacklisted writer from the fifties would like the kind of bannishment Torrence received.