Should Cher be in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr. Fernando, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Columbia

[​IMG]

Warner's

[​IMG]

United Artists

[​IMG]

RCA

2. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

Of course she belongs. She's a legend. Making solo hits since the 60s. Shes more deserving than MANY they've inducted

3. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

We're just responding to the question as posed.

I've followed Cher for most of her music career and there are two songs that comes to mind when I think of hits that are iconic Cher:

Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves

Obviously, this song had some kind of resonance with her own upbringing; not necessarily with the detail in the story but the emotional estrangement and life on the road. My favorite movie role of hers is the mother in MASK. I felt she was completely at home with the unsettled/ uprooted life of that biker mom trying to make a home for her obviously gifted but physically handicapped son. In a way he probably embodied what she felt emotionally growing up. Songs like Half Breed certainly confirm this but Gypsies probably nailed the sort of life, not only of her early emotional estrangement, but life on the road with Sonny.

Then there's Believe.
    This seems to be all about reinvention - which she, like a number of superstar personalities, has had to do all through her career in order to stay fresh and 21. The song is uber produced, including the gimmick of the computerized voicing of beeleeeeeeve, which underlies the impression of a revamped celluloid Cher. Hard to deny the energy in this kind of slick survival anthem but its appeal is transitory.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  4. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

As a millennial, I can say I only know 3 of her hits and the three of them belong to the Believe era. I would say my generation know Cher for her late 90s/early 2000s work.

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Absolutely 100% NOT. Gypsies Tramps and Thieves was ok but everything else is just awful. As for that one she does with autotune, that has to be one of the most annoying records in the history of recorded music. Don't get me started on her plastic face, can't stand her..

6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Barbra Streisand . . . . . . . . . . Sonic Youth . . . . . . . . . .
    Joy Division . . . . . . . . . . . . . Husker Dü - ü - ü - ü . . .
    Suzi Quatro . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Iron Maiden . . . . . . .
    open the door . . . . . . . . . . . let 'em in-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n
    . . . oh yeeah :winkgrin:

Billy_Sunday, Stencil, joelee and 2 others like this.
  7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

hmm....then maybe it would be best to save yourself the agony of reading a thread about her?
    I mean, unless you're a glutton for punishment....I'd personally just concern myself with threads on artists I actually like.

ps of course she belongs in. Bang Bang was awesome.

Stencil likes this.
  8. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The thread title is a question, I have given my opinion. I'd forgotten about Bang Bang, it's alright I suppose. Also I haven't actually read any of the thread, just the title question.

9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I'm in the YES induct her club. Seems to be a lot of differing opinions on this one. I'm curious as to the tally (I'm not going to count up 19 pages of yay and nay)

There should be a simple yes or no poll made.

10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

that's cool, I know a lot of people don't like her...and I hate Believe as much as anyone:)

11. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

tough call, but im leaning toward no. barely a cd worth of material over 60 + yrs doesnt really constitute a hall o f famer in my opinion. I'd Vote in Mike Post who wrote all the Tv Show themes before id vote for her..... however she is absolutely worthy of some recognition, maybe the Academy should consider her

12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes, but for her work alongside Sonny, rather than her subsequent career.

13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Looks like I never actually answered the question in my earlier contributions to this thread. My answer is "Yes." Cher in the Hall of Fame should go without saying. Not only does she have many decades of great music, but she was one of the most important influences re the template for later female pop artists like Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Lady Gaga, etc.

joy stinson and DesertHermit like this.
  14. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I would be careful about casting yourself in the role of spokesperson for a generation.

Aurora likes this.
  15. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Yeez. I guess in the US is different, but if you look her streaming numbers in Spotify... I’m not that lost.

16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Pffft not until they put Todd Rundgren in

For the most part the rock hall is a joke

17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Doesn't she already have an Academy Award? :rolleyes:

dalem5467 and Terrapin Station like this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

The Hall is a farce so she might as well be in it.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's the tough question here. Much of Cher's fame/success comes from her time with Sonny, so how do you separate the 2?

S&C don't deserve induction, but does Cher deserve it on her own?

I honestly could go either way. I'd not bitch and moan if Cher got inducted, but I don't fully endorse her induction, either...

20. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

She should definitely be in the Plastic Surgery Hall of Fame

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Ummm, if that's what you think then fair enough, but it's not what I was trying to imply.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Didn't say it was. I got the impression you felt the combo of S%C + solo Cher would get her in, not just S&C.

And if you combined both, I'd probably agree, but the HOF wouldn't do that - they would feel the need to separate "Cher" from "S&C"...

23. Only if they dim the high power lights really low, extinguish any candles, and prevent anyone from smoking. You know what Letterman said: More plastic than a corvette (?) :)

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Sonny was the songwriting and production brains behind that duo, but he needed Cher because, to put it kindly, he was not a great singer. I've heard bits of his solo album, "Innerviews", and have no particular wish to hear it again.

I think somehow the two of them together generated a kind of musical chemistry that neither of them had by themselves. The HOF inducts bands as bands, does it not? If it were down to me, I'd have Sonny and Cher - the musical act of that name - in the HOF, but probably not either one individually.

25. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

If Abba and Bon Jovi are in what's the difference? She has some cool songs. The Beat Goes On is just a classic. Great song. Would i put her in? no, but, it's so dilluted between pop and rock that, whatever. Come one , come all. Madonna is real similar to Cher really. Though Cher is a better actress.

Christopher B, NaturalD and mkolesa like this.