Should I add a headphone amp to my stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MattL2, May 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattL2

MattL2 Member Thread Starter

Hello! I have an early-1980s Yamaha A-760 amp/receiver and I listen to records through it using a Technics turntable and my Beyerdynamic DT-1990s. Honestly, it sounds fantastic. But I am wondering if it would sound a lot better if I corrected the impedance gap by adding a headphone amp to the Yamaha.

According the the manual, the amp's headphone jack has an impedance of 8 ohms (it says " 72mW, 8 ohms, 0.01% THD") and the headphone's impedance is 250 ohms.

So I'm thinking about hooking up a headphone amp to the Yamaha's RCA outputs. Is it worth the money? Can you recommend a model equivalent to the quality of the headphones? (Also: would this get rid of the hiss that I hear in my headphones?)

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A modern headphone amp will be better than what you're hearing from the Yamaha receiver.
    Modern headphone amps are like high quality pre-amps now. With lower noise levels than 1980s era receivers. The headphone output from receivers like that was taken from the speaker amp. The speaker amp is designed to drive speakers where power output specs are more important that achieving very low noise. Modern headphone amps are able to optimize for lower noise. So you should notice less hiss using a modern headphone amp compared to the vintage receiver.

You can connect a headphone amp to the tape out of the receiver. Then use the recording buttons on the receiver to redirect the output to the tape out section and to the headphone amp. The same way that you would redirect the source inputs to a tape deck if recording what you're playing to a cassette tape.

MattL2, rodentdog and siebrand like this.
  3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

@Ham Sandwich knows a lot more about headphones and headphone amps than I do. I wonder, though, when you're running the signal through an old preamp (at least as far as line out), if you will be receiving full benefit from the headphone amp.

Not to discourage you from trying! Just that I'd suggest, as always, that you try before buying (shouldn't be hard to do around SF Bay). And try a few different ones. Once you've got a system that sounds "fantastic," as yours does, it pays to be very careful with any change.

4. Turntable Fan

Turntable Fan Forum Resident

If a headphone amp a try. I have a awesome SPL Phonitor 2 for the DT 1990 pro.

John Buchanan likes this.
  5. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Those are nice headphones. You would certainly benefit from a headphone amp.

I tried a Chord Mojo which was a significant improvement on the in-build headphone output of my Arcam. I also own a Graham Slee Solo which is a big, big jump forward over the Chord Mojo.

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The Phonitor series are excellent.

Turntable Fan likes this.
  7. Vincent Kars

Vincent Kars Forum Resident

A rule of the thumb is that the damping factor should be minimal 10
    250/8=31 hence you are on the safe side.
    In fact those high impedance headphones are made this way to match the high impedance out of a power-amp.

If it sounds fantastic, stick to it.
    If you want to experiment a little, $99 will probably do Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Your headphones will definitely produce better sound with a modern headphone amp. If you have not already done so check out some Schiit amps. They have everything from $100 amps and upward. Solid state to tube amps.

For your headphones you definitively want something more than a $100 amp. @Ham Sandwich can probably make some good suggestions on a good match. I would start with at least an Asgard 3 or Jotunheim

rodentdog and siebrand like this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I own several Schiit headphone amps and would recommend an Asgard 3. It's a bargain at $200.

11. MattL2

I appreciate everybody's opinions. The Schiit Asgard 3 seems to be the majority favorite. What I'm looking for is something good enough to get the most out of my headphones/1990s, but not so high end that it's pumping out details my headphones are not even capable of reproducing. Is the Asgard in that ballpark?

Question 2: If I go with the Asgard, do I want 115VAC or 230VAC? I don't know enough about electricity.

12. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

If you own something that delivers and makes you happy, why would you buy something new? Makes more sense to go out for a bunch of new records! But in case the upgrade itch really can't be calmed, just audition a headphone amp to compare.

13. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I would think about portability as well.
    That is maybe a good DAC/headphone amp might be better to tote around wherever you go.
    Not have a long cable from your stereo to your phones.
    I have a Marantz HD DAC 1 which has a nice headphone amp. But I hardly use it because it’s clunky to have a long headphone cable from my DAc to my sofa.

just a thought.

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I haven't actually been able to hear an Asgard 3 yet. So I don't know how it is to recommend. I have reasonable confidence that it is good and that I'd prefer it to the $100 Magni amps. But... I don't know. The $100-ish Magni amps and other similar $100-ish amps tend to sound constrained and constricted to me, rather than the more open and larger soundstage style of sound that I prefer from an amp. The larger Schiit amps do tend to sound larger (not because of their size, but due to their design). For example, I find the Lyr 3 to be good for my preferences. I also like the Monoprice/Cavalli Liquid Platinum. Some of the Violectric amps have been nice (but getting expensive). And there are other good amps I can like.

The Untied States is 120 Volts at 60 Hz. The Virgin Islands are 110 Volts at 60 Hz. So what engineers do for things like audio equipment is split the difference to 115 Volts at 60 Hz while making sure it will work correctly at 110V and 120V.

The United Kingdom and much of Europe is at 230 Volts at 50 Hz.

Here's a list of voltages and frequency for different countries: Full list: Plug, socket & voltage by country - World Standards

15. MattL2

Well I bought the Schiit Asgard 3. I'll give my opinions of it when it arrives (ships in 4 - 6 weeks!!)

My Beyerdynamic 1990s were about $600, which is pretty expensive, but obviously not top-of-the-line. S0 I think the $200 Asgard is a good pair. Hopefully someday I will own a $1000 pair of headphones... when that day comes, I will also upgrade the Asgard.

I did not add the DAC option as I plan to place the asgard in my tower stereo and use it with the included components, and I have no intention of ever trying to hook up my laptop or cell phone.

adamos and rockclassics like this.
  16. MattL2

I am hoping this eliminates the hiss I hear when my headphones are plugged into my Yamaha. I am also looking forward to using a new volume knob, as for whatever reason the volume knob on my yamaha amp is extreeeemely sensitive.

17. Morbius McDalek

Morbius McDalek Mobilis in mobili

An alternative to buying a headphone amp would be to use passive attenuation on your power-amp output. If you're into DIY, then this article gives a very good explanation:

Headphone attenuation adapter

I'm using 27ohm / 1 ohm resistors on the output of my Avondale power-amp (which basically removes the power-amp's gain but keeps a low impedance). That'll mean you won't hear any hiss and your knob will travel further (so to speak).

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Congratulations on the purchase. I suspect you will enjoy it. Let us know what you think.

LitHum05 likes this.
  19. MattL2

Does anyone have any experience with the Rupert Neve Designs RNHP that is sold on Sweetwater? I was also considering one of those, but was put off by the $500 price.

20. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I have the upmarket version of that and it sounds great. See Head-Fi

21. MattL2

My Asgard arrived and I instantly noticed a difference in quality after setting it up. I'm not good with jargon but music sounded cleaner and brighter. Also the buzz is gone!! Beautiful silence. That alone makes the amp worth every penny. I also enjoy using the volume knob on the amp instead of the hyper-sensitive knob on my receiver.

adamos, rockclassics and Razakoz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.