Should I buy Police's Ghost In The Machine used for $22 or..

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Doug B., May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member Thread Starter

Or should I buy the Japanese Import from the usual suspect internet stores for $40 (give or take some cash) ?

The copy I played sounded ok, no major noise on the LP except for this one bit of gook which was pretty embedded and caused a slight thwish sound when the needle went over it on the first track. The proprietor of the store cleaned it up a bit though, getting most of it off, so it's fixable. Question is, should I get the import, or is the SQ not that much of an improved difference from the original LP ?

doug

2. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Isn't there an option #3, like buying it at your local used record store for five bucks, or and option #4, like buying it at Goodwill for a buck?

3. Doug B.

I don't know.. you tell me ! I'd love to buy it for $5 used, or even 1$ at goodwill, but haven't seen one outside of this particular shop. Though, I haven't tried goodwill... Guess when I get back from Virginia this week, I'll try and head over to one. Only thing about goodwill is that you can't demo the record. Not that a few bucks is too much to spend on a chance, but it could just be a waste of time. Or.. not. Perhaps it would sound better than a more expensive one..who knows.

So, is $22 too much for it used then ?

4. goldwax

For a straight-up domestic version? I'd say so. It should pretty easy to find in great condition for no more than seven bucks at your typical well-stocked used-record store. Of course, you might have to make a few trips till it lands in the bins, but it'll show up eventually.

Asking over ten bucks for any massive-selling '80s album is highway robbery, in my opinion.

5. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I saw a copy on Wednesday for $3, at least in VG+ condition, so I'd say $22 is too much. The album is reasonably easy to find at a very good price.

6. Doug B.

Wow. I guess that the place I went to has been mentioned here before, being known for over inflated pricing.. The place is called "Second Hand Rose" on East 12th Street in NYC. I wound up buying Frank Zappa's Sheik YerBouti there for $20 (2 LP's)

Edit: Still doesn't answer my question about the Japanese import. Is it worth the price sound quality wise ? I don't care about collecting.. just the sound.

7. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

my domestic A&M LP is cut at sterling by ted jensen and sounds super.

my 2 cents: lots and lots of used LPs out there for a fraction of the cost.

later, chris

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'd spend $22.00 ... if it was in like-new condition and a "hot-stamper." But the copy you describe is not in like-new condition. So, no, I wouldn't.

There are copies that are worth $22.00 though. This can be a phenomenal sounding lp.

Btw, beware the Nautilus, which can sound good, but some say the later Nautilus pressings were sourced from a digital tape, and sound inferior.

9. Doug B.

K. Thanks Chris ! This leaves me wondering why he thinks it's cool to jack up the price so much ? Especially if he knows that the same record can be bought for much less. It wasn't labeled as any special import or special pressing etc.. Hmm.

Doug

10. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

Japanese vinyl is dead quiet and thus audiophiles are willing to pay more for Japanese pressings.

But if you can live with some vinyl noise typical of US vinyl, just go buy a US first pressing for a couple of bucks. The US pressing of that LP sounds very good. I have not found one "audiophile pressing" of that LP which sounds better than the standard US pressing (except that an "audiophile pressing" may be on quieter vinyl).

11. stereovision

stereovision New Member

He's only in it for the money. He's trying to swindle newer record buyers by inflating domestic pressings of nostalgic albums.

Being able to demo an LP is not worth the extra $20 when the same can be found near mint at a thrift store. There's no demand for used vinyl to justify the price.

$40 for a Japanese issue? Japanese mini-LP CDs run for about $25-30 each new, so definitely not.

12. goldwax

Yeah, sounds like he's trading on his store's long history and reputation, as well as, I imagine, the fact that there are a lot of affluent people in NYC who aren't aware of the difference between a dollar bill and a twenty. Well, good for him if he can rip them off. Personally, I consider the ability to find a deal instead of overpaying the true mark of a connoisseur, no matter what the subject matter is.

13. Doug B.

I agree with everything that's been said here, but I can't help but wonder if it's the ability to take advantage of the market, because decent used LP stores (or even thrift shops with any vinyl) are becoming more and more extinct these days ? I'll certainly look around more now, but you know how it is.. You hear that needle drop, and it sounds so good that you want it right then and there !

Sigh.. Patience and virtues and all that I guess. . . :cry:

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I live a few blocks from that establishment. They are way overpriced, dude. I wish they weren't, being that they are so close to me and I like the gentleman who runs it (his wife, on the other hand...), but they are, so I stay away.

For what you are looking for, I'd try Bleeker Bob's or maybe some of the used shops on St. Mark's. The AM+ is worth waiting for, it sounds excellent and like others have said, don't pay more than $10 max.

15. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

not an entirely unheard of price. the latest universal japanese LPs are at or higher than this price point.

later, chris

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Patience is worth more than just about anything to a collector IMO.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Bravo! :righton:

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I wish he was only trying - if that were the case, he'd be out of business.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I saw a lot of stuff over there labelled as OOP, when it isn't. Maybe he thinks it's cool to jack up the prices because he needs to fund long vacations away from his wife. Ten minutes in that store and I wanted a vacation from her too. :D

The idea of putting money in her pocket send me running to ebay or amazon. Or - I can wait, that's my new motto.

20. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Which Japanese pressing are you talking about? If it's the Japaneses Universal 200 gram vinyl, I think those Police albums are sourced from DSD masters. The price has gone up to $50, and $60 at some places. Save your money!

I am quite happy with my US A&M (Sterling TJ).

21. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Chris,

What are the stamper numbers of your copy?

Mine has the hand-scripted
    SPO 3730 A CP2
    SPO 3730 B CP1

Both sides have the STERLING stamp with TJ scripted right next to it.

22. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I picked up a great copy (original, domestic) at Amoeba last month for 4 bucks.
    Paying too much only encourages them!
    :righton:

23. japes

japes Senior Member

There are so many better places to buy vinyl in that neighborhood it's not even funny. Try Academy Records, Bleeker Streets Records, Gimme Gimme Records, or Tropicalia in Furs. All are within 10 blocks of Second Hand Rose's with excellent selection and good prices. Avoid Bleecker Bob's (sorry George P.)

I purchased a sealed Ghost in the Machine Nautilus Pressing at a Long Island store for $32. I also own an open VG+ Nautilus pressing which I paid $10 for.

Just putting things into perspective.

24. THe price is steep for such a commonly available album and considering the condition of the one you saw.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Actually, I meant to say Bleeker Street Records. I get the two mixed up. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.