Should I get a Cambridge cp1 or save up for a Topaz SR20?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mattroid, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattroid

Mattroid New Member Thread Starter

Hi all, new to the forum and the vinyl hobby. I got a hand me down vintage Lenco L62 TT and put a Shure M97XE cart on. Bought a cheap Behringer PP400 phono preamp for 40 bux CDN and have it connected to my old JVC RX-6032V receiver.
    I think the weakest link is the Behringer and was considering getting the Cambridge Audio CP1 phono pre for 200 bux CDN but I see the Cambridge Topaz SR20 integrated amp is on sale for $650 and was wondering what you guys think I should do? If I get the CP1 am I wasting my money connecting it to my old JVC? (specs are here http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/97/22026ien.pdf ) Or should I just bite the bullet and spend the $650 on a good quality receiver with a built in preamp? Id rather not spend that much if the sound quality is only marginally better than just using a quality preamp with my old JVC for now, and look at upgrading the amp as time goes on but would like some opinions. My speakers are JBL loft 50's i just purchased recently if it helps to know that as well. Thanks for any input!

2. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

I have the topaz 120 and it’s incredible I love it

3. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Go for a good stereo integrated or receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.