Should I get a new CD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Nice choice IMHO.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've not had a good experience with budget multi players.

I got a deal a few years back on a new Pioneer multi player DV48AV.

Played DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A so I got it and I just did not, no could not care for listening to CD's on it in my bedroom so I just ended up using it for a DVD player for a while and ultimately I gave it away for free.

One day I decided to run a test CD in it and it revealed some sonic anomalies sounding like distortion with certain higher level test frequencies. I had a CD I burned of my own music at maximum level for testing. I put that in and all through the CD it had quite audible distortion, several other CD players played it perfectly clean. Considering the low price & horribly cheap internal build quality it's no wonder it sounded like total crap. You just can't get an everything player on the cheap and expect great sound out of it.

Guy Gadbois, scobb and F1nut like this.
  3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Looks like a nice unit.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  4. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

If practical for you, I'd keep the CDs as hard copies, rip to 16/44.1 lossless and get a good Network Streamer (connect via ethernet). Since you've fallen for the analogue sound, that also opens up the possibility of Hi Res digital.

andybeau and Guy Gadbois like this.
  5. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

+1. I use Roon as my software and stream to a Raspberry Pi endpoint connected to a DAC. It's a lot more convenient than dealing with discs!

andybeau and Guy Gadbois like this.
  6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

This is exactly what I use with my multi-disc player. It's an absolute must for DVD-Audio. This is a good reminder that I need to order up a new one, mine died recently; at least they're cheap!

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Having read all the advice above I will repeat if you mainly play CD get a dedicated CD transport / player to optimise playback. By all means get a universal player for DVDA and SACD but they aren't optimal for CD at whatever price point you can afford except maybe high end players such as Ayre.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  8. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

I've had very bad luck with the cheap Chinese transports that are used in some recent name brand CD players. Noisy buggers they are. It's too bad too because I prefer playing CDs to managing audio files. Like the OP, I mostly use it for titles that are either unavailable or too costly on LP. Luckily reissues of titles from the '90s and '00s are coming fast and furious so the CD player doesn't get used much.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  9. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

The Marantz 6006 is really fantastic . Miles ahead of my previous CD player. It's almost making me love cds again. Almost .

They're a necessary evil though

10. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I like that player since it has a headphone jack and ability to play files off a USB stick. I think the lossless playback via USB is limited to WAV, but that works to audition stuff IMHO. I had the 6005 unit a while back and used it for a headphone setup.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  11. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

This got me looking at this model then going down the rabbit hole of all the other marantz pieces in the line, would have a super nice system with this CD player and a marantz integrated and use 1 remote

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  12. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Exactly...simple is good. I went with a NAD 516/316 combo for my office due to the small/minimalistic aesthetic (and price)...but the Marantz is a step up in quality IMHO.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.