Should i give up vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richbdd01, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

IMO, Unless something's wrong with your power, I don't think your gear would sound great one day and terrible the next

To me, it sounds like either the problem is simply that some material is recorded better than others, or that some days you are simply in a better 'mood' to enjoy music.

If those are indeed the culprit, they'll be problems regardless of what format you choose. So I'd say no, don't give up on vinyl. If poor recordings bother you, avoid them; if you find listening in certain states of mind bothers you, avoid listening at those times.

Good luck! Either way I hope you find a path to stress-free listening!

2. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Musical Goldminer

You didn't make clear the reason for the inconsistencies. Are you playing the same recordings and finding that they sound different at different times? Our moods will affect our listening experience. At those times, I go read a book or take a walk! It could also be that your environment is acoustically or electrically noisier at some times than others.

If you keep your LPs clean & clean your stylus, they should give consistent performance. If certain records don't sound as good as others, it could be the records. Sometimes you'll find the best recording is an LP from a different source or perhaps the CD or digital download ends up being superior. It's always good to have alternatives!

Shiver and jukes like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You can always stick to just those and get rid of the rest/get them on cd.

It IS really; no mistake there. If you're not willing to take the gamble then those are not for you and you'll be way better off buying them on cd.

Stress is always a HUGE buzzkill. Take it easy or get rid of what causes it. Your choice. BTW your rig is a dream (not MY cuppa, but of terrific quality). Check everything is OK and rethink quitting.

cheers

russk, Ash76, TLMusic and 1 other person like this.
  4. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

The fact that you've been having a very stressful time may very well be contributing here: stress can make our moods and general well-being more changeable and can make us much more sensitive or reactive to things that would otherwise be mildly bothersome, upsetting, or not-quite right. For instance, when I'm having an allergy-sinus thing and I feel crappy and my immune system is all wound up, my stereo often sounds unpleasant to me because of all the neuro-sensory stuff going on + probably the changes in air pressure and humidity that come along with allergy season. And its unpleasantness bugs me more than usual because I'm not at my most patient or tolerant when I've got a nasty sinus headache.

If that's the case, changing the source and medium may not fix things. You could always borrow or home-demo some gear to see whether you get more consistent quality.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    McLover, c-eling and richbdd01 like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I found doing analog/digital transfers something that brightened up my experience, ever since I adopted a few felines my vinyl listening is done strictly via SBTouch now, I find it relaxing and a challenge doing the editing, click repair etc, I agree with JL6161 with stress, mood etc... When I'm tired after work, I don't listen to music, that's when I do my transfers with crappy headphones, I know on the big system it will sound better :laugh:

6. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

"Massive gamble" seems to sum up my years of vinyl buying. The only way to truly know how well a record will perform is to listen to it closely in its entirety on your system. If you are seeking something close to perfection, expect many hours of experimentation and frequent utter failures, in my experience.

Some LPs sound wonderful, many do not. By purchasing records that are supposed to sound good, you are increasing the chances of getting a winner. By seeking out records cut by known top mastering engineers like the ones you mentioned, for example, nice audio becomes more likely.

Still, until pulling the vinyl (new or used) out of the jacket, one never knows what's lurking inside. Warps, pressing defects, wear and abuse from previous owners conspire to ruin the potential experience. Some people enjoy the hunt, there's nothing like analog sound reproduction when all cylinders are firing. But when things are not hunky dory, it's best to have other listening options, or be willing to lower one's high standards, in my experience.

7. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Been there this week,took a couple days away and luckily I'm enjoying things again. I think it was a combo of things for me stress,bad pressing & then my mind playing tricks on me,nothing sounded good that night,it was maddening.

richbdd01 likes this.
  8. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

Give up on vinyl? If you're not happy than maybe but are you really going to get any better in the digital world? Speaking of my own experience one of the best upgrades I've made is buying an enzyme cleaner and pure water to rinse. A truly clean record makes such a difference and allows my 2m Black to display what's on the disc; once I set it up right and levelled my table. Though my latest upgrade a Pro-ject Tube Box DS is making it even more a joy.

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

No the sound doesnt really change on the same pressings as far as i can tell...

I keep my stylus immaculately clean using Audio Technica stylus cleaner and a very soft brush. I also use a carbon fibre brush before every play.

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

One thing i havent really mentioned yet is my rack is a homemade MDF hifi rack that my old man made several years ago. It therefore doesnt have any adjustable feet so cant be made 100% level.

This shouldnt make much difference though as the rack is reasonably level and just needs some fine adjustment using the feet on the Orbe to make it 100% level....

The turntable itself directly sits on a piece of thick acrylic, much like the Isobase which i have then sat on a piece of rubber so it is well isolated..

11. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

This may cause debate but just using just a carbon fibre brush to clean records just isn't going to cut it. In my experience a wet clean is required prior to first play to get rid of all the rubbish on the vinyl. The colour of the fluid that comes out of my VPI machine after a session proves there is plenty of dirt on even new vinyl.

Tommyboy likes this.
  12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Stress is a worse culprit than poor mastering or defective vinyl. If listening enjoyment varies wildly, I'd seriously consider treating the emotional component - not the stereo component.

richbdd01 likes this.
  13. Bronica S2A

Bronica S2A Forum Resident

I don't know, I guess it's all sort of relative. I remember in the 70's, when my parents would go somewhere and I was alone, sometimes I'd race downstairs to the basement to play my music that I couldn't play in their presence, on a crappy old portable stereo (the kind with the speakers that would fold in and the top would tip down and you could carry like a suitcase), and play Frank Zappa, Santana, Black Sabbath,etc. Today, I'm lucky enough to have a decent stereo ( Oppo BDP 83SE, Dual 1019 in a butcher block maple plinth w/Denon DL 110, Rotel RA 1062 that I'm expecting to receive next week, PSB 600i speakers) and to be able to buy decent pressings of what I want to listen to, and of course it sounds so much better than then. The Frank Zappas on Discreet still don't sound terrific, but they're fun to listen to and they sound remarkably good considering the pressing quality.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  14. Yes give up and sell me your collection

JPartyka and theron d like this.
  15. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

When I start feeling the doubts the OP is having, I go listen to a CD. Takes about two tracks and all doubts disappear as if by magic. Works every time... :righton:

Brudy, Scott222C and Jerry James like this.
  16. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

Shop online a lot? Are you cool with hard drive and DAC upgrades? Do you prefer real or virtual catalog maintenance? Are you anticipating inheriting a large number of vinyl records?

17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Get a $250+ Ortofon cart.

Listen to CDs for a week. Then play your favorite LP. If it sounds bad... you have a problem with your 'system'.

18. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The vinyl experience is rarely a hit by chance. Just simply buying great audio components and connecting them together is no guarantee either, even in the digital realm which is more consistent in performance. Vinyl isn't consistent. It is quirky. Vinyl almost always demands tweaking, re-tweaking, experimentation with this stylus, or cartridge, phono pre-amp, cartridge alignments, etc. In the world of high fidelity there is magic pressed in the record groove, but it's not free magic. We have to work to find it. Once the magic has been found, the rewards can be breathtaking.,

Two major problems with vinyl is noise/wear, and inferior pressings. The groove must be clean.

The record brush before play may be killing your records., Even a carbon fiber brush will not dissipate enough static (if any at all) to free the dust particles from the groove. Some dust will be picked up on the brush, so we think it's doing its job. I have found by my own tests, that all record cleaning brushes just push the dust around, picking up some, but driving most of it deep into the groove where it does damage. The audible result is increased background noise, an increase of discrete ticks, then after multiple plays ground up micro-particles/ abraded groove producing low level steady state hissy "crackle" perhaps at -40dB, and noticeable in silent groove between tracks. This also affects the music program in terms of fidelity loss and an increase in distortion. Friction is increased, and stylus wear increased. IMO, don't use a cleaning brush. The records subjected to it will never be the same, and will never produce the magic you're seeking.

19. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I began listening to vinyl on a good system back in 1974. I cared for my vinyl, cared too much. Back in that era, many manufacturers, Watts, Discwasher, sold record cleaning kits with a "preener" or brush or cloth all who claimed remarkable results. All of my rock albums were purchased new. They sounded amazing, low noise or NO noise on my M91-ED, on an AR turntable. After the first year, and many multiple plays, the records still sounded amazing, no groove wear, etc, but there was an increase of discrete ticks between tracks, nothing really very distracting. To that point, the records had never been cleaned or brushed, but had some sleeve dust and dust on the surface, not a lot, but it was visible.

Lesson #1) I cleaned all of them, perhaps 25 to 30 albums total. I was shocked. The noise had increased but only slightly. But the worst was the cleaning solution that was said to lubricate the groove gummed up my stylus. (this was not LAST which was, and still is a great product) There was no such thing as a record cleaning machine, not to my knowledge. I replaced the records.

Lesson #2 After a few years attending college, and unpacking my stereo and records.. and I soon upgraded the amp to a Luxman, I simply "brushed" the records before every play as they spun on the turntable. Well, this was a slower death for my collection. The records were again replaced by non-1st pressings, not the same fidelity, but nice and new and very quiet.

I no longer brush the records before play. They are stored in static free inner sleeves which they remain dust free. If I see a few flecks of dust, I simply blow them off, or leave them there, as dust on the surface will not harm the groove. I just have to see it and be annoyed... a much better option IMO. I just take the clean record out of its sleeve and play it, no formalities.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Shiver and The Pinhead like this.
  20. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

You are describing the pre-CD era in a nutshell. This was life in hi-fi pre-1982. Learn to deal with what your system is doing well and turn a blind eye to what it is not. Or, yes, give up vinyl.

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

Analog ain't easy.

ggergm and The Pinhead like this.
  22. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

No harsh intent meant. Get your life in order, first. Then assess your gear. If you haven't dealt with the stressors in your life, as soon as the record is over, all the things you haven't dealt with will still be there. But, do feel free to blame it on the vinyl experience. As posted by others, many here are obviously willing to relieve you of the "vinyl stressor". Sorry, but, I don't believe (inner) peace will ever come from gear or even music, temporary calming effect, possibly depending on the music; true peace... no.

23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I think you should stop buying and playing records. You only hurt yourself by continuing. Increasing levels of barium in the atmosphere all over the Northern Hemisphere are diminishing people's ability to enjoy analog and it's not going to get better any time soon.

I think perhaps the best thing you could do is send me your records so I can assess the level of barium contamination. I may be able to pay for shipping.

timztunz likes this.
  24. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I went though a period of time when I would only play the best sounding albums I had,
    that was a few systems back. These things have a way of working themselves out, vinyl
    takes a little more effort but the rewards are great. What ever is going on right now, you
    will get through it so just relax.

You have a very nice system by the way. I also have a Graham Slee ERA V, that’s some
    of the best money I ever spent..

Regards,
    Brooklyn

richbdd01 likes this.
  25. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

"Should I give up vinyl?" - No, not ever, for any reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.