Should I keep my Speaker boxes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tgreg, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just bought some AMAZING Zu Audio Omen speakers from someone and they still had the boxes they came with. These are just plain brown boxes... was wondering if most people keep their boxes? I can see if it had the name on them, possibly keeping them. I don't have much room in my house...and not that crazy about boxes in the attic...try to keep plastic and steel...to avoid rodents etc. Just curious of others opinions? If I ever sold them..which I doubt..because they are really awesome...would it help add value if I had the boxes...even though they are plain boxes....I know I could get new ones if I needed to ship them..I do have the original packing papers.

2. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Here's my advice based on real experience. If you really want to keep these speakers as a forever component, then you need to keep the boxes and store them in a secure location. If you throw away the boxes on the assumption that you will be keeping the speakers forever, you will be trying to sell them within the year. Guaranteed.

SamS, Jtycho, eddiel and 5 others like this.
  3. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I saved my B&W boxes and used them for multiple house moves. Never had to worry about those in the moving van.

SamS, Manimal and The FRiNgE like this.
  4. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I would always keep the boxes and instruction manuals of all hi-fi equipment.

Solace, The Pinhead and The FRiNgE like this.
  5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I kept my B&W CM7s loudspeakers boxes, including all the packaging. Nine years later (about a month ago) I traded them in, I got a great price because of their condition but also because I had all the packaging.

JG

Robert C and The FRiNgE like this.
  6. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Keep them in large 'contractor' trash bags if worried about rodents.

The FRiNgE and Tgreg like this.
  7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Always kept the boxes for my audio equipment.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I would only discard boxes if you have absolutely have no place to keep them. Otherwise, even if you are well into retirement and know you will never move again, your offspring may need them to ship or transport to their own home.

9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I keep all my high end audio boxes. People pay a premium for well packed and all the case candy that comes with it. I'd actually skip buying something if the original box wasn't included.

Within reason of course - big speakers typically do not come with boxes - I'm talking Cornwalls in my case and not Harbeth.

Turntables? Yep.
    Preamp - Yep
    Amps - no - because they were a kit.

10. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I still have the original speaker boxes (including the protective corners from around the speakers) from 1979! And these are large boxes as the speakers are Klipsch Quartets. I flattened the boxes and stored them behind a bookcase (against the wall); the protective corners are in a plastic bag out in the garage.

The FRiNgE and timind like this.
  11. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Always save the boxes of your audio components, especially speakers.

Scott

The FRiNgE likes this.
  12. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Keeping high end audio boxes helps preserve the resale value, without doubt. I keep all mine for that reason as well.

JohnO, The FRiNgE and russk like this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Do you think having the boxes when selling, increases the value a lot more?

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Nice!

15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yes - it projects that the owner cared about the piece.

And if you ship it - you must have the original box - OR - have some really good A+ feedback from tons of people for selling them stuff.

16. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident Thread Starter

great advice, all...yes, guess I could flatten them Keep them in large 'contractor' trash bags if worried about rodents....and store the corner pieces separately...even though they are just plain brown with no company info on them..they do fit the speakers perfectly.

timind likes this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That's what I figured, but does it really increase the sale???

18. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

If you need to ship the speakers in the future buying replacement boxes can get pricey.

19. russk

russk Forum Resident

I have the original boxes, packing materials, brochures, and sales receipt for my 1985 Cornwall 1s. The gentleman I bought them from took amazing care of them. I have them stored on a pallet in my basement for any moves in my future and on the very off chance I ever sell them.

Manimal, The FRiNgE and rebellovw like this.
  20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It 'can' increase the sale AND it can help sell it faster. Both positives. Let's give an example - I'm selling a McIntosh big heavy amp for blue book of 4500.00. My chances of selling quickly and for my price increase as I have the original boxes and manuals. In fact if I don't I'll have to buy a factory box and take that out of my commission. I may buy from that person - but I'd be leery and only buy with a low ball price.

It helps. Very important I feel for amps/turntables.

JohnO, The FRiNgE and Bingo Bongo like this.
  21. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Absolutely, 100% keep the boxes.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  22. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

And if you would like a good reason why, email Zu and ask them how much replacement boxes and inner packing material run.

Never personally priced Zu boxes, but have done so with many others...you are probably looking at somewhere roughly around $100 a box (and potentially higher then that) plus shipping to get them to you.

23. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

A space saving solution is to store other clean items in the boxes. Another solution is to carefully cut the tape with a razor, and break the boxes down. Always save the inner packaging.

24. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Keep those boxes. You can flatten them and seal them in a heavy duty trash bag, to keep them clean and protected from moisture.
    For protection from bugs, you can spray Ortho Home Defense right on the cardboard, just several spritzes on every panel side, inside and out, don't drench them. Then seal the bag. Sealed in the bag, the chemicals will last for years. The stuff is harmless to humans, unless you drink it or worse.
    Then you can spritz the outside of the bag, which should keep critters away for a few months, if there is any danger of critters in your attic.
    Shop ORTHO Home Defense Max 24-fl oz Insect Killer at Lowes.com

25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I managed to keep all of the boxes my componentes came in till early this year. The facility I was keeping in changed hands and the new owners prompted me to come get out my stuff. Had to toss them all to the trash with tears in my eyes.

Original boxes not only make a strong selling argument, they are very useful in case you move or have to send the gear somewhere, or take them to the service shop in your car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.