Should I keep the "Ortofon 2m Black" or "Nagaoka MP-110"?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nubben, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nubben

Nubben Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have a bit of dilemma.

I have been a bit of an Ortofon loyalist up until now. Have the 2m mono, 2m Blue and 2m Black. The Black is king of the heap for sure - excellent sound - but is it worth the money?

I am thinking about selling off the 2m Blue for sure after having picked up the Nags recently but I am now thinking one step ahead - should I actually sell the Black as well? I could then free up some cash.

So, my question is this to anyone out there who has had the same dilemma and who either sold or didn't sell the Black (or any other significantly pricier cart than the one they kept) - were you happy with your decision and why?

(I appreciate this is a very subjective question that might not be able to be answered...)

Thanks all!

2. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I will start, since I recently posted about my switch from an Ortofon 2m Bronze to a Shure m97xe. I haven't even had the Shure for a week, and I am already loving it. Also, I haven't even upgraded to the Jico stylus and I so pleased with even the stock stylus. I think I am going to keep my Bronze, however, to have the possibility of upgrading to a Black stylus one day. I figure the Bronze cost me less than a Black ever would so I might as well.

Right now I have in my possession the Bronze, the Shure, and an old AT440mla. If you need the cash, sell it. What do you think of the Nagoakas? I am on a budget cart high right now. I know sometimes you get what you pay for, but sometimes more expensive does not equal better in my opinion. I am loving my Shure. Excellent midrange, which I like. No IGD. Decent Bass.

crispi likes this.
  3. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I'm cornfused :confused: You want to sell the 2MB and keep the MP110??.......Unless you need the cash for something other than upgrading your system. Or maybe you think the 2MB is more cart than you will ever need??

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Here is a bit of a reality check, you would be lucky to get $200 for a used 2MB. If you are claiming 500 or less hours, possibly $400. If you are using that money to buy another cart, what you will wind up with will not be as good as a 2MB.

If you are $200 to $400 short of buying a Lyra Delos or a Dynavector 20x, by all means, sell the 2MB. My 2MB is in a drawer and its worth more to me as a backup for when I need a retip than it would be for its cash value. Also, I think it is one of the best MM's you can get.

BigGame likes this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'd sell the black if you don't imagine you'd ever use it in the future. If it sounds better than the Nagaoka, keep both.

6. Nubben

Thanks everyone for your input.

Am not looking to buy another more expensive cart for the money I would get for the Black. I have very few hours on it - possibly less than 5 so almost brand new.

I am thinking whether I would be able to "live" with a sound that is not as good as the cart I am selling but good enough to be enjoyable. It's basically a question of getting the best cart for as little money as possible. The Nags has a lot of fans but so does the Black. I am torn since I have paid for and have the Black in my possession.

It's the dreaded "upgraditis" that led me to buy the Black and although I really think it's the best cart of the lot I have I would not have bought it again today.

Another aspect is the stylus replacement - the Black's stylus will cost as much as a very nice cart but the Nags and any other similarly priced cart on the other hand will be significantly more affordable when it comes to upgrading the stylus.

(Sorry I'm just putting my thoughts on paper sort of speak.)

7. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I feel the same way as you do. I thought upgrading to the Bronze would be my last cart. It's not a bad cart but I may have received a dud or maybe it's not the best match for me. Now I'm liking an $89 cart over a $440 one. I'd keep the black as a back up.

8. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I have both the Bronze and the Black and both are excellent! If you don't need the money, just simply put it in a drawer....you never know what's coming down the road in a few years. You might wish you still had it. Simple solution...put the Black away....enjoy the Nag.

H8SLKC likes this.
  9. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I'm interested in the difference in surface noise between the Nag and the bronze/black. I have thought about trading the bronze for something else,but I really don't want to lose the detail and resolution the 2m provides. I think there is quieter carts out there though for vinyl in so so condition ?

10. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Howdy,

If you can not establish/appreciate the sound difference and/or determine any other tangible/intangible values these carts bring to you, I think you answered your own question.

Regards

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Put some more hours on the Black, 5 is not enough for it to break in or to evaluate.

myles likes this.
  12. Aristotalloss

Aristotalloss Forum Resident

Hi Nubben, strange as it may seem I went the suggested route.
    After about five years of use I ditched the 2MB for the then ridiculously cheap Nagaoka 110. I was using a Rega P25 then. Things got even better when a MP200 stylus was put on the 110 body. Pure bliss was achieved when the Rega arm/ Nag combo moved to a Notts spacedeck. Moral? Judge by your ears. I hankered after a lusher sound at the end of the 2MB's life. Thats what I got, never looked back.

13. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Was the 200 stylus bettter for surface noise compared to the 2m? Any loss of detail ?

14. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Keep the 2M Black.

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I've got a MP-1210 and I love it for older used albums, especially '70s soul and jazz fusion.

That being said, the MP-500 is like going to 3D from the MP-110's 2D.

16. Nubben

Thanks everyone for all your input helping me out enormously!

I have actually decided to keep the Black (especially for any digitisations of vinyl).

Went 180 on this and have just bought a Grado Gold which I will trial together with the 2m Blue and the Nags MP-110, to see which one I like best.

Have another thread up on VTA/bias on the Grado and Nags so please feel free to chime in!

Thanks again all for taking your time replying - very much appreciated!

Regards

Nubben

Seancito likes this.
  17. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat. I'm keeping my Bronze, but I have been experimenting and enjoying thoroughly my Shure m97xe cartridge!

H8SLKC likes this.
  18. Nubben

Yes, Shures come highly recommended. Glad you've also made your mind up and that you're enjoying the Shure!

19. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I have a 2m Bronze and have been thinking of trying a Hana EH or EL with a Sutherland phono preamp.

20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You want to deliberately buy something that sounds worse than you already have? You're not convincing me that you have a good reason for doing this. :)

21. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Me too! Same switch, and can't be more pleased. I'd stay with the stock stylus and NOT upgrade to the Jico, as it alters the sound characteristic (more treble). I find the sound of the stock stylus to be much more balanced and pleasing. Midrange magic. As for the Black, had that as well -- I much preferred the Bronze, as the Black picked up an insane amount of surface noise that wasn't audible before.

Seancito likes this.
  22. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

That is good to know. I am only a few weeks in and I am really enjoying it. It's not the best overall performer, but for me it allows me to enjoy the record. Plus, I have yet to hear any distortion or IGD for that matter, and I have it set up well. Does the Jico stylus bring out more detail? Have you heard it with the LP Gear Vivid Line stylus for the Shure m97xe? It is about a $100 cheaper than the Jico.

23. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I have a 2M Black and, while I like the bass and mids, I find its highs to be too overbearing on my system. I too have been wondering about swapping it out for a Nag. I was musing on the MP-200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.