Should I sell all my CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamiesjamies, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a dilemma and would be interested to read your opinions. Over the years I have gradually reduced my collection. Both in number and by going from vinyl to CD to digital etc. I have now only 70 CDs that I keep, mainly because they are my favourites but also because I have had them so long and have a kind of sentimental value! Now only around 10-20 are particularly of any value (perhaps £20-30 range, pic discs etc.) Suddenly I am thinking, do I need to keep them? I recently bought a CD player after years of just iPod docks/speakers with the intention of listening to music like in the good old days! Full albums etc. But I find I am listening to music less and less. I am thinking of selling my CD player (B&O Century) and my CDs and investing in a good quality Bluetooth speaker and earbuds. I have my music backed up on 2 hard drives, and my original iPod, in case I'm left unable to stream for whatever reason! So what do you guys think? Should I do it? Free myself from physical media storage and look to the future! I'm quite an impulsive person but I'm not going to rush this one!

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

4. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Perhaps box them up and put them in storage to see if you come back to them later. Then you can make a decision on whether to sell or keep them.

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I wouldn't personally, but it's your choice.

70 CDs isn't that much. Some people on here buy that many in a week!!

Stick 'em in the loft, rather than sell them and (perhaps) regret it later.

Rodz42, Poison_Flour, Dave and 5 others like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

How you choose to listen to music should suit your lifestyle, but I don't see that 70 cd's are a particularly large burden. If you've got it down to that level and they are favorites, I'd hold on to them. In years to come they may come in handy or you may just want them for nostalgic value. If I'd got my collection down to 70 CD's, I'd consider myself well and truly purged.

Rodz42, Naughty Chord, Dave and 6 others like this.
  7. jamiesjamies

Thanks for the opinions! I think we have a consensus for far!! I think perhaps sell the B&O and get a speaker might be a good idea and keep the CDs in storage like you are saying.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

i think that is the bigger question that needs to be addressed. don't sell them.

Dave, rxcory, Stone Turntable and 3 others like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Good lad!

jamiesjamies likes this.
  10. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I would be interested in seeing a list of those CDs. I can't imagine pruning my collection to under a 100 titles.

Naughty Chord and jamiesjamies like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No!!!!

12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I've never really gotten the need people feel to sell off every last tangible object, in the name of getting rid of clutter or whatever. If you really need the money, it's one thing but 70 CDs take up hardly any space at all.

Eventually, people will end up selling off everything. Why do we need books or records, when we can download and steam everything? Let's just toally obliterate the past in favor of some sort of antiseptic, cleaned up existence.

Dave, murphywmm, vette442 and 2 others like this.
  13. jamiesjamies

I just suppose my habits had changed. I got used to listening to individual tracks on spotify rather than putting a whole album on and listening.

14. jamiesjamies

It's mainly my favourite albums by my favourite artists! A real strict criteria applies, I'm really ocd about these things. There is Dylan, Marvin Gaye, George Michael, mainly 80s stuff.

15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Keep them... I would never get rid of ones that I liked. I have dumped some CD's but those were Donna Summer and Boys II Men. I don't understand why people go strictly digital. What are you going to do when you no longer want those? There are no used MP3 stores.

Example: I got the idea one day that i wanted to hear Sha-Na-Na. So I found an album on iTunes for 5 bucks. I downloaded it, heard some Good Time Oldies then realized these tunes sounded like they were newly recorded and they were. So I played it one time then removed it from my iPod. Now where can I unload this unwanted Sha-Na-Na "album'? I'm stuck with it forever. Unless you want it then I would be glad to sell you the "used" digital copies for only $2.50. I guarantee they are not warped, scratched or damaged in any way!

jamiesjamies likes this.
  16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

How about a compromise? Get rid of the cheap/common items and keep the rare/hard to find ones.

rxcory and jamiesjamies like this.
  17. jamiesjamies

It's a good point that you make. I have this compulsion to have as few material possessions as possible. It's a strange thing with me. But this thing with the CDs would be a huge step, and I appreciate your opinions. I think you are all confirming my own reservations which is why I asked the question and didn't just go ahead and do it!

18. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I have around 500 and I can't seem to let them go - they are aide memoire's for me

19. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I guarantee you that no used CD shop in the world is going to buy a used Sha-Na-Na CD anyway!

Dave, MikeInFla and SoporJoe like this.
  20. jamiesjamies

That's a good idea! Was thinking along those lines!

21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I get that people often feel this way. For example, if I moved around a lot, I'd probably be much more that way.

But I often read how people up and got rid of their entire music collection becuase they can stream or put things on the cloud. Sometimes, it comes off as though they think it's a shrewd move, all over saving a little space.

22. drasil

drasil Former Resident

this is one of the most unusual posts regarding mp3s I've read on here, and that's saying a lot. is there more to what you've posted that I'm not inferring?

if you want to rid yourself of digital audio files... delete them. you'll never see them again.

Orthonormal and Werner Berghofer like this.
  23. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Give them to me. :D

jamiesjamies likes this.
  24. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

CDs are essentially worthless now, but IMO that might not always be the case. I kinda feel like I should be buying more CDs myself, if it weren't for my chronic vinyl bug. It's been going strong for many years.

25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

He means there's no market for selling them off, even after having to purchase them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.